Search #: 496602JOB SUMMARY
Work type: Full-time
Location: Storrs Campus
Categories: Student Programs and Services
Under the general supervision of the Associate Director of UConn Recreation - Director of Program Services, the Assistant Director for Recreation - Director of Programming provides administrative leadership for the Fitness and Well-Being, Outdoor Adventure, and Special Event units within UConn Recreation. This position is directly responsible for developing a comprehensive and diverse programming schedule, designed to promote human connection and enrich the well-being of our community through physical activity. Evening and weekend work is requiredDUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for the primary day-to-day management of UConn Recreation’s programming units.
- Provide administrative oversight and direct supervision of four Assistant Program Director positions in Fitness & Well-Being and Outdoor Adventure.
- Lead the planning, development, and execution of a comprehensive schedule of programming designed to promote physical activity, social engagement, and the overall well-being of the University community.
- Meet regularly, or as required, with internal and external partners to coordinate logistics and facility usage to support program outcomes.
- Liaise with University constituents to maintain and develop programming partnerships and logistics for events.
- Lead department efforts on UConn traditions and special events such as Oozeball, Homecoming, Road Races, and Spring Weekend; develop and create new event and program opportunities.
- Provide on-site supervision and management of events/programs.
- Manage established unit budgets; approve unit purchases in adherence to department and University compliance.
- Ensure compliance with risk management policy and procedure for all program activities.
- Responsible for implementing and enforcing departmental and University policies and procedures in all matters pertaining to unit operations.
- Develop and expand professional knowledge of administration and programming to ensure quality and meet the needs of the UConn community.
Personnel ManagementSupervise and onboard unit professional staff; actively support the ongoing development of unit student personnel.Establish and promote high-quality performance standards for unit personnel; evaluate and regularly report on unit performance outcomes.Responsible for unit professional and student employee staff assignments and scheduling, monitoring for accuracy, and providing payroll verification.Evaluate professional employee performance, providing written evaluations on an annual basis.Responsible for leading the annual review, development, and implementation of unit personnel training; evaluating the effectiveness and recommending required change; ensuring training outcomes reflect department mission, values, and operational performance goals.Plan and implement ongoing professional development opportunities for unit employees.Work in collaboration with Recreation Human Resources to ensure unit student personnel levels meet department standards; monitor student employee discipline.
Planning & Assessment
- Regularly analyze and report on program data/outcomes to evaluate and message operational effectiveness, recommend corrective change, and maximize impact.
- Make recommendations for annual unit budget development.
- Monitors inventory and maintenance record compliance for supervisory units.
- Conduct ongoing review of unit risk management outcomes, implementing immediate action as required; provide recommended improvements.
- Serve as a member of the Department Student Employee Development Committee.
- Assist Associate Director with aligning unit outcomes with annual department and division strategic goals.
- Provide leadership for assigned departmental programs and events.
- Serve on department or university-assigned committees.
- Additional duties as requested by supervisor or departmental leadership.
- Master’s degree in a related field.
- Four (4) years of documented professional experience.
- Previous experience supervising and training employees.
- Ability to resolve administrative problems efficiently, effectively, and independently.
- Experience developing and executing events or programmatic initiatives.
- Strong interpersonal skills necessary for effective work relationships.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to acquire Connecticut Passenger “A” endorsement or equivalent.
- Demonstrated understanding of, stated commitment to, and/or experience working with diverse populations.
- Two (2) years of experience serving as an advanced team member or working as a unit lead.
- Previous experience training and supervising professional employees.
- Experience in the management of multiple professional areas.
- Professional knowledge of risk management practices and procedures.
- Previous experience with the creation and implementation of a comprehensive programming schedule.
- Collaborative professional work experience in the development and implementation of event logistics and program management.
- Budget management and development experience.
- Experience in assessment and reporting of data.
- Demonstrated progressive professional experience working in recreation, fitness, or event management.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience using recreation management software (e.g., Fusion, Connect2Concepts, SubItUp).
This is a full-time, permanent position. The University offers a competitive salary, and outstanding benefits, including employee and dependent tuition waivers at UConn, and a highly desirable work environment. For additional information regarding benefits visit: https://hr.uconn.edu/benefits-beyond-pay/.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.TO APPLY
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs
, Staff Positions, Search #496602 to upload a resume, cover letter,
and contact information for three (3) professional references.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on August 16, 2022.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Advertised: Jul 14 2022 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Aug 16 2022 Eastern Daylight Time