Job no: 515008
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Facilities Services
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Performs security activities for the Campus Center/Student Union during assigned shifts. Within policy guidelines and directives, protects against loss or damage from theft or vandalism; prepares and reviews information by gathering forms and reports; evaluates activities taking place in the Campus Center/Student Union operations during assigned shifts.
- Performs security activities within Campus Center/ Student Union complex during assigned shifts to ensure the safety of the people within the complex and the security of the facility and equipment.
- Makes periodic rounds and security checks of sales and storage areas; conducts surveillance of assigned areas; notifies appropriate authorities; takes action in accordance with authorized procedures.
- Responds to reported, suspected shoplifting incidents by approaching and questioning suspect and calling campus police.
- Interacts with other campus departments as necessary to ensure the smooth functioning of the facilities during assigned shifts.
- Responds to emergency security, maintenance or other operating emergencies within the complex taking appropriate steps to correct the problem and safeguard the occupants of the complex.
- Maintains records by maintaining logs; prepares required forms and reports following department policies and procedures.
- Provides information to the public by telephone or in person, responsibly answering questions concerning such matters as services, rooms, catering and special functions and referring inquires to the appropriate department of services when necessary.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- One (1) year security work experience.
- Ability to make periodic rounds and security checks.
- Ability to respond to reported suspected shoplifting incidents.
- Ability to work with a diverse clientele.
- Ability to prepare reports and maintain accurate records.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral expression.
- Ability to deal tactfully with others.
- Ability to explain policies, procedures, laws and regulations governing the Campus Center complex and activities.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in making decisions pertaining to activities within the Campus Center Complex.
- Ability and willingness to work the night shift.
Physical Demands/Working ConditionsRequires the ability to carry, push, pull, stand, bend, reach, sit, twist, lift and perform repetitive movements.
Additional DetailsThis position is designated as essential personnel.
- 40 hours per week; varies based on department needs; will include weekends and may require holidays.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please complete online application, submit resume and contact information for three (3) professional references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Jul 14 2022 Eastern Daylight Time