Library Associate II, Reference (Part-Time)Agency
Texas A&M University - Central TexasDepartment
Library ServicesProposed Minimum Salary
$20.00 hourlyJob Location
Killeen, TexasJob Type
Temporary/Casual Staff (Fixed Term)Job Description
The Library Associate II, Reference, under general supervision, analyzes clientele needs, interprets library resources, and facilitates their use by students, faculty, support staff, and other members of the academic community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Facilitates the use of library resources, including the online library catalog, electronic databases, print and non-print indexes, abstracts, reference materials, and online and Internet resources.
- Provides advanced customer service, including using virtual reference and chat support venues for library users.
- Conducts clientele interviews and helps clientele make effective use of appropriate information resources.
- Responds to escalated requests for assistance and more complex, non-routine resource questions as a subject matter expert. Refers to sources, places, and individuals when local sources are insufficient.
- Provides explanations and instructions for department/unit employees. Provides support for a range of in-depth, specialized questions in research resources and databases.
- Creates and edits departmental publications, as requested.
- Analyzes and organizes operations and determines problem resolutions.
- Provides staffing for the research help desk during evening and weekend hours as assigned.
This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and authorities of this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. Other duties may be assigned.
Education – High school diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience*
* Equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Associate: 2 years work experience
- Bachelor: 4 years work experience
- Master: 6 years work experience
- Ph. D./Doctorate: 8 years work experience
Experience – Nine years of related experience in a public, academic, or specialized library or archive.
Knowledge of – Knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet applications.
Ability to – Ability to multitask and work cooperatively with others.
Licensing / Professional Certification – None.
Physical Requirements – Ability to move medium weight boxes, books, heavy book truck or similar items.
Master’s degree in Library Science
Supervision of Others
This position has limited supervision of employees during scheduled evening or weekend hours. Unexpected issues will be communicated to the assigned manager in a timely manner.
- Ability to handle material which can contain dust or microscopic mold spores.
- Work beyond normal office hours and/or work on weekends.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.