Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 1,048 licensed inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 65 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; a separate hospital outpatient surgical department with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area.
For 2021-2022, U.S. News and World Report ranked Duke University Hospital nationally in 11 adult specialties: cancer, cardiology & heart surgery, diabetes & endocrinology, ear, nose & throat, gastroenterology & GI surgery, gynecology, neurology & neurosurgery, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology & lung surgery, and urology. Duke University Hospital is also ranked first in North Carolina and first in the Raleigh-Durham area.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
General Description of the Job Class
With the use of PACS (Picture Archiving and Communication System), the Electronic Imaging Technician (EIT) will support physicians, technologists and other medical staff in the acquisition and distribution of digital patient records in Duke University Health System (DUHS). The EIT works in conjunction with the PACS and Radiology Informatics Team to ensure the maintenance and integrity of the patient's Radiology records.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Access reports, images, and other patient data via Maestro Care/PACS and other DUHS applications.
- Utilize imaging equipment and established procedures to create CDs/DVDs for customers.
- Utilize designated equipment and established procedures to import and export image data on CD/DVD,
- Power share and other media.
- Operate the Digital Media Creator (DMC) equipment to create CD or DVD, containing imaging studies in DICOM format at the request of patients, providers, hospitals, and other entities.
- Fill requests for DUHS images by pushing DICOM images from PACS to Power share.
- Push images received in Power share to PACS to fulfill the Maestro Care physician order.
- Using the Maestro Care Image Library Status Report to process orders from providers to store images in PACS.
- Digitize images stored on plain film utilizing Digitizer.
- Transfer images, either the entire study or specifically requested series to designated DICOM destinations.
- Identify unspecified exams
- Obtain signed patient authorization to release medical information as required by DUHS policy.
- Must be able to communicate in a professional manner both through written and spoken means.
- Daily work requires answering phones, using email to send and receive signed documents and handling faxed requests.
- Functions performed by this position have a direct impact on patient safety and the timeliness of patient care.
- In all aspects of the job, the candidate must pay close attention to detail and perform with high accuracy consistently in a high-volume area, all while strictly adhering to Federal and State regulations and DUHS policy.
- This position routinely coordinates with outpatient clinics, inpatient units, Emergency Department, and surgeons both internal to DUHS and external to DUHS.
- Must be able to effectively communicate with all DUHS employees including physicians, nurses, technologists, patient service associates and administrative professionals.
- Performs other tasks related to the operation and monitoring of radiology clinical and administrative information systems.
- Troubleshoot problems with image quality and equipment malfunction and submit timely and effective Service Now Requests.
- Display a helpful and professional attitude when helping patients, DUHS staff and coworkers.
- Highly developed customer service skills are required to meet patient needs and internal customer expectations.
- Utilize Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Maestro Care, PACS, and Power share to complete daily logs, correspond with attorneys, physicians, patients, and other staff members.
- Capable of retrieving studies from various media for downtime situations or upon request from clients.
- Responsible for established quality assurance procedures for imported and exported image data.
- Maintains auditing and tracking tools established for the file room.
- Updates patient demographics
- Merge images to studies, and updates order information when defined as part of established procedures or import/export of images data (outside interpretation workflow), as required, and requested by EICs, technologists, and radiologists.
- Auditing - Use Excel spreadsheets for undictated reports and unread worklists for department.
- As team lead manage timecards; participate in the review and hiring process.
- Run the query in PACS for unread and unspecified, requiring basic Excel knowledge.
- Develop documentation, tracking tools, and training materials for Image Library.
- Respond to requests for images and reports related to legal cases.
- Communicate professionally and timely in written and oral communication, with attorneys, judges, and social workers.
Required Qualifications at this Level
Work requires a minimum of a High School Diploma or GED. Associates Degree preferred.
One year of experience in health care or PACS support or Radiology or Customer Service-related field.
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification
North Carolina Driver's License
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.