: Division of Liberal ArtsLocations:
: Des Plaines, ILPosted:
: Jun 30, 2022Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: Full Time StaffPosition ID:
About Oakton College :
For 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Paid winter break
FRIDAYS OFF during the summer
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Under general supervision, responsible for the overall operations of the Des Plaines and Ray Hartstein Campus Language Labs. Will include working with the foreign language and ESL faculty who use the labs, scheduling use of lab facilities, developing a system to catalog language materials, performing routine maintenance of lab equipment, training faculty to use lab facilities, maintaining records of lab usage, assisting students and faculty with the use of lab equipment and language materials, and overseeing duplication of audio files, storage and retrieval of software, and other lab activities.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise Language Lab operations. Train and coordinate the work of the Lab Assistants and student employees. Hire staff and student Language Lab employees.
- Supervise and assist students working independently in the lab.
- Introduce faculty members to the use of the lab and assist them in the use of the equipment to prepare for and conduct classes. Work with faculty on researching and the utilization of new technology.
- Interact creatively with lab users, who may have varying levels of experience with technology and language learning.
- Provide routine maintenance for lab equipment and arrange for specialized maintenance and repairs as necessary.
- Create and maintain a system for storing and distributing audio, video, television, and computer software for use in the lab; process faculty requests for Language Lab software rentals and purchases; duplicate software materials as necessary.
- Assist in preparing the budget for the lab including making recommendations for new Language Lab equipment and supplies.
- Coordinate usage of the Language Labs for classes, individual users and tutoring, in addition to special outreach events.
- Keep informed of changes in the field of language learning and technology through appropriate listservs, trade journals, professional organizations and by attending language and technology related workshops and conferences.
- Direct the design and implementation of presentations, workshops, and training for students, faculty, and lab staff on the use of lab technology and various other computer applications and other language related topics. Develop language-related materials based on faculty needs.
- Provide basic computer workshops for students.
- Assist in obtaining copyright clearance for media resources.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Working Conditions:
- A Bachelor's degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is necessary.
- Excellent organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills, including oral and written competency is required. Must be able to work collaboratively with diverse segments of the campus community.
- Two years college coursework or fluency in one of the foreign languages offered at Oakton Community College is required. Ability to interact effectively with individuals of various cultural backgrounds is required.
- Demonstrated work experience with Microsoft Office, basic graphic/Web design, and various other technologies is required. Must be able to make appropriate labels, basic flyers and other documents for the Labs.
- Ability to operate equipment such as Language Lab, personal computers, printer, digital recording, video monitors, LCD projector, scanner and copy machine is required.
- Requires the ability to mentally attend and visually concentrate on a substantial amount of detail work.
- Prior work experience in a college setting and/or prior training experience is required.
- One year of supervisory experience is preferred.
- Prior experience with grant proposals and/or grant writing is desired.
Light lifting up to 10 lbs. and light carrying up to 10 lbs. Ability to reach above shoulder. Periods of time spent sitting, standing, walking, kneeling, bending and stooping. Mobility to move from building to building on-Campus and to visit off-Campus entities. Work is performed in a general office environment and is sedentary in nature. Little or no exposure to adverse working conditions.
Administrative supervision is received from the Division Dean. Functional supervision is received from the Department Chair.
General supervision is exercised over Language Lab Assistants and student employees.
HOURS: Monday - Friday 9:00 am - 5:45 pm
Based on the needs of the college and with Administrator approval, some positions at the college may have remote or hybrid schedule options available. Please note, that during the 65 working day probationary period, employees are required to report to campus.
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
Oakton requires all employees to adhere to a Vaccination /Testing Mandate
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.