PG191901EPInternal Recruitment :
Assistant Dean for OperationsAnticipated Hiring Range:
Commensurate with education and experienceWork Schedule:
Monday - Friday, 8:00 - 5:00 pm. Hours may vary according to needs and Dean's schedule.Job Location:
Raleigh, NCDepartment :
College of EducationAbout the Department:
About the NC State College of EducationEssential Job Duties:
As one of the nation’s top-ranked public colleges of education, NC State’s College of Education leads the way in North Carolina in preparing extraordinary educators, conducting transformational research, and engaging communities where they are to improve the educational outcomes of all learners and advance the greater good.
The college’s faculty are widely recognized thought leaders who use their research to transform the practice of teaching, learning, and leading. They have particular strengths in improving technology-enhanced learning and teaching; fostering community-based learning and PK-16 partnerships; increasing diversity, equity, and inclusion in education; and innovating leadership and workforce development, educational policy, and evaluation. About two-thirds of the faculty are grant active. They are engaged in over 100 active projects totaling more than $64 million with a three-year average of $26 million in grants awarded, making them the most productive in terms of research activity compared with other colleges of education in North Carolina and among the Top 5% in the nation. In FY22, the college’s research expenditures exceeded $14 million.
The college has over 1,900 students studying across five graduate certificates, seven undergraduate majors, two undergraduate minors, 13 master’s degrees, three Ph.D., and two Ed.D. programs housed in three academic departments: Educational Leadership, Policy, and Human Development; Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics Education; and Teacher Education and Learning Sciences, with approximately 130 tenure-track and professional-track faculty, 110 support and professional staff, and about 160 graduate and teaching assistants. The College of Education is also home to the Belk Center for Community College Leadership and Research and the Friday Institute for Educational Innovation.
The college has over 17,000 living alumni, with over 5,000 working in public schools in North Carolina. Those who are teachers rate the highest in effectiveness on surveys of school employers in North Carolina.
About Our Commitment to DEI
NC State University and the College of Education are especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute, through their experience, research, teaching and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of the academic community. Our community values diversity, equity, inclusion and justice. As a public university — a university of the people — it’s essential to welcome and support everyone in our community. That’s why a commitment to a stronger and more inclusive institutional culture is enshrined in the NC State’s strategic plan (https://strategicplan.ncsu.edu/current-plan) and we expect everyone in the Wolfpack community to champion this work and to give of their time, effort and talent to support it.
The Assistant Dean for Operations (ADO) in the College of Education serves as a member of the Dean’s Cabinet and Leadership Team, responsible for the day-to-day business operations of the college as well as advising the Dean on long-range strategic initiatives that enhance the management, operation, human capital, physical and technological infrastructure of the college. The ADO provides vision for the college organization and has fiduciary responsibility for college resources, creating and maintaining sound business practices to ensure timely and accurate decision making processes regarding the college allocation of resources and effective hiring of Faculty, Staff and Student employees. The ADO ensures compliance with Federal, State and University regulations to safeguard resources and reduce risk. The ADO oversees all HR, finance, IT and facilities functions within the college. This person also leads the college regarding staff awards and is responsible for Business Continuity Plans. The ADO serves as the college Affirmative Action & Equity Officer and works with the Dean to promote equitable processes and procedures within college practices, particularly regarding initial hires and annual raises processes.
The ADO is responsible for budget planning, financial reporting, analysis of the College’s funding structure, human resources administration, technology updates, and ensures proper upkeep of the college’s facilities. This person leads the development and implementation of financial and personnel systems and plans, administers and monitors the financial and operational policies of the College. The ADO is responsible for all reporting functions regarding operations, including ETF, end of the fiscal year, property insurance, vacant positions, rental agreements, etc.
The ADO provides direct supervision for 4 employees: director of HR, director of finance, director of EdIT, and the facilities coordinator. The ADO is a part of the college Technology Committee, Building, Equipment, Safety, and Space (BESS) Committee, and works with the excellence committee and the Louis Hunt Award Committee.
- Oversee budgetary, accounting, human resources, and procurement functions of the College. Ensure effective internal controls and compliance with policies and procedures appropriate to each function. Safeguard resources and reduce risk.
- In coordination with the Dean, develop and maintain a comprehensive, multi-year budget plan for the College, ensuring the plan aligns with the funding for the College’s strategic priorities that require financial resources.
- Provide financial planning, analysis, and forecast of the College’s annual and continuing budget.
- Oversee the reconciliation of finances and accounts.
- Work with deans, department heads, and directors on spending plans and reductions.
- Develop and implement financial practices to ensure efficient delivery of business services in the College adhering to university, state, and funding agency regulations. Provide stewardship in compliance and preserve financial credibility and integrity.
- Provide continual assessment of internal financial processes and procedures to evaluate efficiency and accuracy
- Oversee HR functions and activities.
- Ensure effective internal controls are in order to meet compliance with HR policies and procedures.
- Work with HR Director in monitoring salary equity and compression.
- Recommend equitable salaries when hiring new employees.
- Provide recommendations to rectify existing inequities and facilitate the implementation of legislative increases.
- Ensure that the college’s fiscal year-end closeouts are completed successfully and within guidelines.
- Prepare, interpret and analyze budgetary and personnel-related reports.
- Coordinate the management of building improvements associated with the needs assessments, planning, and proposed allocations of funds.
- Manage building risk insurance processes to ensure college resources are adequately protected
- Work with the Dean and College Leadership Team in developing a four-year plan of needed space improvements to facilitate the delivery of classroom instruction, research, and appropriate space for faculty, staff, and graduate students.
- Coordinate provisioning of all PC, Mac, printer, and mobile device support, including inventory, management, issue escalation, and resolution of help desk calls for faculty/staff, undergraduate and graduate students in the College of Education
- Coordinate with the Director of IT to assure needed services are provided for the Department of Psychology.
- Oversee IT service implementation, including research and evaluation of emerging software and technologies for security, cost, and scalability and implementation viability within the college and campus infrastructure.
- Ensure compliance with faculty research, campus Security & Compliance, and HIPAA data security plans, regulations, and protocols.
- Oversee the allocation of Education and Technology Fee (ETF) funds for strategic and cost-effective use of the funds. Work with the College ETF Advisory Team in the annual allocation of funds to departments and units. Determine needs for supplemental requests.
Perform other related duties as assigned.Minimum Education and Experience:
Other Required Qualifications:
- Master’s degree or equivalent professional or training experiences
- 5 years in a leadership or managerial role with supervisory duties
- 5 years of experience in budget management or equivalent experiences
- Demonstrated track record of excellent interpersonal skills, strong teamwork skills both in leading and collaborating between functional groups, the ability to accept challenging assignments and complete them in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to be professional, productive and dependable, capable of adhering to multiple deadlines without prompting, and have a demonstrated understanding and aptitude for efficiency.
- Willingness to pursue ongoing professional education to maintain an innovative edge on upcoming trends as they relate to business operations and accounting in graduate education, information technology, data and information management, and human resources.
- Demonstrated success in leading teams and managing budgets while promoting equitable processes and procedures.
- Strong communication skills.
Required License(s) or Certification(s):
- Master’s in Business or Public Administration or a degree related to management and economics in educational settings.
- Strong skills regarding technology systems and the use of different platforms to support the college operations in finance, HR, and IT.
N/AValid NC Driver's License required:
NoCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
07/13/2022Anticipated Close Date:
Open until filled.Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references along with your online application.Position Number:
SAAO Tier IIFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Non Mandatory - Emergency EventIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
130101 - College Of EducationAA/EEO:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.