Job no: 514994
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: MA Small Business Dev Ctr
Categories: Program Administration/Management
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Under the direction of the Dean of the Isenberg School of Management, the State Director of the Massachusetts Small Business Development Center (MSBDC) manages a multifaceted, multimillion-dollar statewide program which provides management counseling, training, and technical assistance for small businesses. The SBDC State Director is a full-time, executive-level position that provides leadership and management of the Massachusetts SBDC network. The State Director must exercise sound judgement and have solid experience working with diverse groups of people. The State Director must provide innovative and empowering leadership; building a high-performing team founded on inclusion, integrity and excellence. This leader must consistently promote transparency, uphold ethics and ensure accountability while overseeing all aspects of programmatic implementation.
- Manages a program of high-quality management counseling and educational training programs to small businesses in the Commonwealth through a statewide network of regional and specialty centers in compliance with the Small Business Development Act, Public Law 96-302 as amended by P.L. 98-395 and P.L. 101-909 and all other applicable laws, regulations, OMB circulars and Executive Orders, the annual Cooperative Agreement with the SBA, national accreditation and audit standards, and University requirements.
- Plans and directs the MSBDC network, ensuring that the result-oriented execution and implementation of SBDC services fulfill mission and deliverable requirements.
- Creates and implements the SBDC network strategic plan.
- Negotiates annually a cooperative agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administrations, an ISA with Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and the University of Massachusetts, which provide funding to the statewide network.
- Allocates resources to meet the SBDC mission, including preparation of proposal; developing and managing the MSBDC network annual budget and work plan; writing the annual contract with each regional and specialty center which establishes service delivery goals for the contract period.
- Monitors and ensures the delivery of high-quality services while maintaining full financial compliance.
- Prepares all reports in a timely manner and ensures compliance with all reporting requirements.
- Supervises the MSBDC State Office staff, Western, Berkshire, and Southeast Regional Office Directors, Government Sales Advising staff, the International Trade Director and Procurement Assistance Center Program Manager. The State Director also provides indirect supervision of the directors of the regional and specialty center subcontractors.
- Promotes staff performance excellence within the network; including, but not limited to completing personnel evaluations; managing subcontractors; and developing, executing and maintaining a professional development plan for network staff.
- Directly supervises 10 or more non-student employees and indirectly supervises 12 or more non-student employees.
- Assures all personnel policies of the MSBDC State Office and other University of Massachusetts sponsored operations are followed.
- Develops and maintains close working relationships with funding partners including the SBA, the State, the University of Massachusetts Amherst, local governmental entities, regional hosts, and private sector supporters; key statewide small business, economic development and professional organizations; and trade associations, chambers of commerce, and other local, statewide and national groups serving small businesses and entrepreneurs.
- Manages the MSBDC network Advisory Board.
- Serves as the chief spokesperson for the Massachusetts SBDC and the Massachusetts liaison for the national Association of America’s SBDCs, and SBA national, regional and district offices.
- Develops relationships within the Isenberg School of Management and other University of Massachusetts/Amherst departments to order to strategically align and fully integrate the SBDC into the academic, research and public services mission of the University.
- Promotes student involvement (internships, class projects, etc.) opportunities.
- Provides information, statistics and other pertinent data to support the understanding and importance of small businesses within the economy to federal, state and local administrative and elected leaders as well as trade associations.
- Represents the network’s interests and builds relationships with stakeholders and partners in Massachusetts and throughout the country.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Dean of the Isenberg School of Management.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related discipline.
- A minimum of ten (10) years experience in managing the delivery of statewide technical assistance to small businesses including:
- At least seven (7) years of supervisory experience.
- At least seven (7) years of progressively responsible senior level experience in business or administration.
- Understanding of and practical experience in dealing with economic issues and small business and entrepreneurship.
- Demonstrated ability to manage programs designed to assist small businesses at the federal, state and local levels.
- Experience using data to monitor and evaluate program effectiveness.
- Familiarity with university environments and experience with or capable of working with students, faculty and university administrators.
- Working knowledge of key business disciplines and issues such as business planning, market research, financial packaging and financial analysis, marketing, operations, legal issues, risk mitigation and others.
- Experience with budgeting and contract management and familiarity of federal cost principles as they apply to higher educational institutions.
- Proficiency in common productivity software.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Master’s degree in business or related discipline from an accredited college or university.
- Bilingual language skills (Spanish preferred).
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Typical office environment.
- Position is located on campus UMass Amherst, 23 Tillson House, Amherst, MA, 01003.
- Monday - Friday, 8:30 am -5:00 pm.
- Required to travel within and outside of the region.
PSU Salary Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with the application, please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references. The search will remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Jul 11 2022 Eastern Daylight Time