The Director of Admission is responsible for bringing leadership, excellence, and a forward-thinking approach to the recruitment and admission components of Millsaps College’s enrollment efforts. This position manages a team of admissions counselors and requires a relationship-focused, collaborative approach to achieving results.
Working closely with the enrollment division leadership team, the Director will coordinate with constituents across campus to effectively serve internal and external customers through the recruitment, application, admission, and financial aid awarding process. The Director is responsible for planning, implementing, and assessing specific recruitment and admission initiatives to achieve the College’s enrollment goals. The successful candidate should have the ability to serve as an articulate spokesperson for Millsaps’ mission, vision, values and strategic plan. This position reports to the Vice President for Enrollment.
- Direct and continuously improve all phases of student recruitment and admission with a focus on applicant experience.
- Supervise, train, hire, and evaluate admission counseling staff in accordance with Millsaps policies and best practices.
- Manage and maintain recruitment and admission functions by establishing and implementing policies and procedures for staff to travel and generate inquiries and applications, review application materials, and make admission and scholarship decisions.
- Participate in the strategic planning and implementation of recruitment programs and activities, marketing plans, technology, and office goals that encompass the recruitment of freshmen, transfers, international students, and underrepresented students, the review of their application materials, and awarding of scholarships and financial aid.
- Collaborate on recruitment, admission, financial aid, and orientation communications, including printed and electronic notifications to prospective students and families.
- Advise and assist all departments, students, faculty, and staff regarding admission policies and procedures.
- Work closely with parents, students, counselors and school officials, campus partners, academic departments, and external constituents to meet immediate and long-term goals of the Office of Admission.
- Assist in efforts to recruit a diverse student population.
- Partner with the Directors of Financial Aid and Enrollment Services and the Vice President to train admission staff on financial aid application requirements, steps, and types of awards, and to counsel students and families on options and decisions best for them and for Millsaps.
- Coordinate with the Director of Athletics to ensure compliance related to the oversight of or responsibility for recruitment, admission, certification of academic eligibility, and/or administration of financial aid for NCAA Division III student-athletes.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field, or an equivalent mix of education and experience. Master’s degree is preferred.
- A minimum of five years demonstrating proficiency in student recruitment, admission, supervising and leading staff, and technical expertise related to position responsibilities.
- Expert knowledge of student recruitment, admission, and financial aid processes.
- Experience with student-athletes and compliance with NCAA rules and regulations.
- Excellent time management and project management skills with a demonstrated record of completing projects and meeting deadlines.
- Excellent oral and written communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Goal-oriented, with ability to provide direction, supervision, and motivation to staff.
- Expertise in facilitating organizational development and change.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze recruitment-related data and assess programming activities as part of a strategic enrollment planning initiative.
- An understanding of the innovative uses of technology in the recruitment process. Experience with Ellucian/Datatel and Slate CRM preferred
- Experience working with diverse populations.
Physical & Availability Requirements
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Manual dexterity needed for keyboarding and other repetitive tasks.
- Must be able to lift and move up to 15 pounds without assistance.
- Candidate may also be required to stand for extended periods during college fairs or events.
- Travel and/or irregular hours during high volume periods, including evenings and weekends, are required.
- Candidate must have a valid driver’s license and insurability.
Interested candidates should email a copy of their resume, cover letter, references and salary requirements [email protected]. No phone calls please.
Millsaps College is a selective institution of higher education located on 100 beautiful acres in the heart of Jackson, the capital of Mississippi — a progressive southern metropolitan city of nearly half a million. Millsaps is dedicated to academic excellence, open inquiry and free expression, the exploration of faith to inform vocation and the innovative shaping of the social, economic and cultural progress of the region. The college was founded in 1890 by members of the Methodist Church and is consistently ranked as one of the best values in higher education.
Millsaps has an enrollment of approximately 750 students and employs 80 full-time faculty members. The faculty/student ratio at Millsaps is 1:9, and the average class size is 14. Millsaps has graduated 25 Fulbright Award recipients, seven Rhodes Scholars, six Goldwater Scholars and two Truman Scholars. Millsaps is a member of the NCAA Division III and Southern Athletic Association and competes in 18 intercollegiate sports.
Millsaps College values diversity within our students, faculty and staff, and strives to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people. Millsaps College does not discriminate in employment on the bases of race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state and/or local laws.
All offers of employment will be contingent on successful completion of a background check and verification of employment. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Millsaps College provides a competitive benefits package.
It is the policy of Millsaps College to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities for employment. If you require any accommodations to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact [email protected].
For additional information about Millsaps College please visit Millsaps.edu