School of Medicine Established in 1930, Duke University School of Medicine is the youngest of the nationâ€™s top medical schools. Ranked sixth among medical schools in the nation, the School takes pride in being an inclusive community of outstanding learners, investigators, clinicians, and staff where interdisciplinary collaboration is embraced and great ideas accelerate translation of fundamental scientific discoveries to improve human health locally and around the globe. Composed of more than 2,500 faculty physicians and researchers, more than 1,300 students, and more than 6,000 staff, the Duke University School of Medicine along with the Duke University School of Nursing, Duke University Health System and the Private Diagnostic Clinic (PDC) comprise Duke Health. a world-class academic medical center. The Health System encompasses Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, Duke Raleigh Hospital, Duke Primary Care, Duke Home and Hospice, Duke Health and Wellness, and multiple affiliations.
This position may have an opportunity to work remotely. All Duke University and Duke Health remote workers must reside in one of the following states or districts: Arizona; California; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Illinois; Maryland; Massachusetts; Montana; New Jersey; New York; North Carolina; Pennsylvania; South Carolina; Tennessee; Texas; Virginia or Washington, DC.
Provide high-level administrative support for the Vice Dean for Faculty by performing a variety of complex, confidential, administrative, and project-focused duties.
Manage high volume, complex and confidential calendar requests required for the Vice Dean for Faculty (1:1 meetings, group meetings and recurring meetings). Create appointments using independent judgment, often with other senior ranking officials within and outside the School of Medicine. Represent the Vice Dean professionally and competently to internal and external leaders, faculty and staff.
- Oversee incoming correspondence, requests and invitations for the Vice Dean’s attention; answer questions and route materials as appropriate; prioritize items that need immediate attention, answer e-mail requests on behalf of the Vice Dean, along with phone calls and other forms of inquiries as needed. This requires problem solving skills and judgement based on the content and sensitivity of the communication and broad knowledge of programs and activities. Monitor follow-up on all correspondence that requires answers, responses, and written replies. Draft responses on behalf of Vice Dean as requested. Review documents received for the Vice Dean’s signature
- Manage calendar for Senior Associate Dean for Faculty Professionalism.
- Assist in the planning, research, and creation of reports, proposals, and documents as needed for meetings and presentations. Develop a system to help prepare Vice Dean for important meetings and presentations; this may include compiling and keeping track of background documentation.
- Manage all associated front office functions; interact with faculty requesting support or information in a professional way.
- Arrange occasional travel for the Vice Dean and prepare travel itinerary and materials for trips. Ensure that all travel expenses are properly reconciled upon return.
- Reconcile corporate card transactions on behalf of the Vice Dean.
- Provide general administrative support and serve as a resource to faculty and senior staff in the Office for Faculty as needed.
- Use faculty database to export and maintain faculty datasets as requested by Office for Faculty leaders and senior staff. Maintain confidentiality of all data.
- Complete other special projects for the Office for Faculty as requested. This will include helping to coordinate the Annual Spring Faculty Celebration and supporting the annual faculty awards process.
- Take meeting minutes and summarize discussions for the Vice Dean and distribute to group members or non-participants; prepare and present information in requested format.
- Understand organizational policies and procedures necessary to ensure appropriate decision-making protocols are followed. Maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
This position is part of a well-established, high functioning team of 5 faculty partners and 4 full time staff members. The Administrative Manager of the Office for Faculty will supervise this position and help oversee workload. The individual in this position will have direct access to the Vice Dean for Faculty. We expect this position to be hybrid and the individual in this position will have input on the schedule (in person vs. work from home) so that it works for both the position and the individual.
Work requires a general educational background normally equivalent to a full high school education plus two years post-secondary education in a business-related field.
Bachelor's Degree in a related area, or an equivalent combination of relevant education and professional experience, and working knowledge of administrative processes in healthcare and higher education is preferred.
Work requires 4 years related business or administrative experience to become familiar with general personnel practices, accounting and budgeting principles and coordination of major office activities.
Five years of executive secretarial experience of increasing variety and/or complexity preferred.
OR ANY OTHER EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE.
In addition, the successful candidate will possess the following qualities/attributes:
- Strong and effective written and verbal communication skills. Ability to multi-task and work independently. Much of incoming information to the office will be confidential and highly sensitive in nature and will require extreme discretion.
- Proficiency with MS Office, especially Outlook, Powerpoint, and Excel, and virtual conferencing platforms such as Zoom. Experience with Qualtrics, Box and/or RedCap to assist with building surveys and document management is preferred.
- Ability to exercise discretion, judgment and be flexible and be open to giving and receiving feedback; an ideal candidate will be extremely organized with high attention to detail and able to work in a fast-paced environment; and have the ability to effectively manage multiple tasks, prioritize work and problem solve.
- Ability to represent the Vice Dean’s office in a professional manner and be respectful and affirming of all individuals.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.