PG191874EPInternal Recruitment :
Assistant Professor and Extension Specialist - DEPPAnticipated Hiring Range:
Commensurate with ExperienceWork Schedule:
Monday-Friday, 8am-5pmJob Location:
Raleigh, NCDepartment :
Entomology and Plant PathologyAbout the Department:
As part of the Land Grant University, the Department of Entomology and Plant Pathology is composed of over 40 faculty that direct a diverse portfolio of programs in teaching, research, and extension components. Collectively, these strengths not only serve our clientele and our science but also provide a rich environment for graduate education and training that can be tailored to the specific career interests of the student, irrespective of whether they prefer training in the basic sciences or are preparing for a career in extension. Our education and research programs provide graduate and undergraduate students with unique hands-on learning opportunities using the latest technologies.Essential Job Duties:
The Department of Entomology and Plant Pathology at North Carolina State University is pleased to announce recruitment for two (2) tenure-track Assistant Professor and Extension Specialists with formal appointments in Extension (70%) and Research (30%). Other Responsibilities:
The successful candidate(s) is expected to develop internationally recognized programs focusing on the ecology, epidemiology, population biology, and management of plant pathogens and the diseases they cause in agricultural systems, implementing contemporary diagnostic technologies, and developing integrated disease management strategies for established and emerging plant diseases in North Carolina. The agricultural commodity emphases for these positions will be soybean, cotton, tobacco, peanuts, and corn. Additional crops may be incorporated depending on the needs of the department and our stakeholders. The position is expected to contribute to the academic mission of the Department of Entomology and Plant Pathology through training of M.S. and Ph.D. students and delivery of invited lectures and seminars where appropriate. Finally, the position is expected to develop a robust research program to inform their extension efforts and improved plant disease management recommendations
N.C. State is diverse because it is a community of individuals from varied backgrounds and demographic categories; it encourages, accepts, and values a diversity of people and ideas; it seeks to promote an environment where equity, respect, and understanding represent the norm in the campus climate; and it seeks to prepare entrepreneurs who are effective citizens of a global community. As such, you are expected to contribute to an environment that is welcoming of all groups.
The Department of Entomology and Plant Pathology is seeking to hire two (2) candidates from this posting.
Perform other related duties as assigned.Minimum Education and Experience:
Other Required Qualifications:
- Ph.D. in Plant Pathology or a closely related field.
- In addition to excellence in research and Extension, the incumbent is expected to have demonstrable skills in verbal and written communication, and interpersonal relations.
- Strong capacity to work with Extension stakeholders and students at the undergraduate and graduate levels, including mentoring doctoral students and postdoctoral fellows.
- Evidence of commitment to diversity and inclusion and the land grant mission of North Carolina State University, as put forth in the College and Agriculture and Life Sciences Mission Statement.
Required License(s) or Certification(s):
- At least two years’ postdoctoral or equivalent experience.
- A demonstrated background in plant pathology, microbiology, or related fields, and expertise in Extension.
- NC State University is especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute, through their experience, research, teaching, extension, and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of the academic community.
- Valid NC Driver’s License or the ability to obtain one within 60 days of hire.
The position will need the ability to drive state vehicles.Valid NC Driver's License required:
YesCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
07/05/2022Anticipated Close Date:
Open until filled.Special Instructions to Applicants:
In addition to your application please submit:
- Cover Letter to include research accomplishments and prefer no more than 2 pages
- Contact Information for references (3 to 5)
- Statement of commitment to diversity and inclusion (Upload as Other Document 1 and prefer no more than 1 page)
- Statement of Extension Philosophy (Upload as other document 2 and prefer no more than 1 page)
Tenured/Tenure-Track FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Mandatory - Medical EmergenciesIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
111801 - Entomology and Plant PathologyAA/EEO:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.