Adjunct Faculty Member in the Luter School of Business - General & Strategic Management / Organizational Behavior / Leadership / Human ResourcesAppointment Type:
Adjunct Purpose of Position:
The CNU Luter School of Business is accepting applications from prospective adjunct faculty members to teach individual courses, as needed, in the following areas in Fall 2022 and beyond:
- Strategic Management – Strategic planning entails making long-range plans for organizations. This course utilizes business case studies to examine corporate strategies. Students are taught the strategic management process and perform that process using actual business firms. Decisions are made from the perspective of top management. The course is designed to integrate and apply skills acquired throughout the business core curriculum. Global strategic management and corporate ethics are also explored.
- Organizational Behavior – provides a comprehensive analysis of individual and group behavior in organizations by adapting a behavioral science approach. Students will develop an understanding of how organizations can be managed to operate more effectively and efficiently while, at the same time, enhancing the quality of employee work life
- Human Resources Management – examines the management of an organization’s key resource, its people. Topics include job analysis, recruitment, selection, orientation and training, performance appraisal, compensation, benefits, legislation and labor law, and the role of unions and collective bargaining.
- Leadership – allow students to assess and develop their leadership capabilities in order to prepare them to be effective leaders in all phases of their lives. Data will be generated through a variety of assessment methods designed to reveal the students’ interests, abilities, values, and knowledge related to managerial effectiveness. Students will learn how to interpret these data and use them to design personal developmental plans.
- Fundamentals of Business – students gain a solid understanding of components of a business, its external environment, and the interactions between them. Students will engage in decision-making and problem solving in that setting. Ethics, leadership, employee empowerment, the impact of technology and the global market are topics of discussion. Students will be exposed to case-based learning in the course and will have the opportunity to develop critical thinking skills, team skills, written and oral communication skills throughout the course.
- Project Management – covers scope development, risk assessment, business case development and determination of stakeholders to initially create the case for the project. The core skills outlined in this course include budget, project schedule, change management, role definition and project approval. The student also provides critical skills in communication strategy, managing procurement, managing the execution of project activities, measurement and control activities, and closing the project.
Along with demonstrated ability for excellent teaching, candidates must hold an earned graduate or terminal degree from a regionally accredited university in a relevant discipline, with 18 completed semester hours of related graduate course work. Official transcripts will be required at the time of hire.Departmental Information:
The Luter School of Business at CNU is composed of 24 faculty and offers four majors (Accounting, Finance, Management, and Marketing). The Luter School’s AACSB accredited business curriculum requires a minimum GPA of 3.0 for entry and attracts some of the University’s best students. The business program offers opportunities for internships, executive mentorships, international experiences, volunteer work, and research collaboration with faculty. The School launched a new Master of Financial Analysis (MFinA) program in Fall 2020. For more information, visit our website at http://cnu.edu/schoolofbusiness/.Faculty Information:
Selected by The Princeton Review to be included in The 387 Best Colleges: 2022 Edition, Christopher Newport University is a public school offering a private school experience – great teaching, small classes, and a safe, vibrant campus. The University is located in Newport News, Virginia, enrolls approximately 5,000 students, and is dedicated to the ideals of scholarship, leadership, and service. Our Fall 2021 incoming class presented average high school GPA and SAT scores of 3.8 and 1213, respectively. Academic programs at Christopher Newport University encompass more than 90 areas of study, from biology to business administration and political science to the performing arts. The University is ranked by U.S. News & World Report’s America’s Best Colleges guide as 3rd among public regional universities in the South and 6th overall, and has recently completed more than $1 billion in capital construction on its 260-acre campus.Posting Number:
Christopher Newport is committed to ensuring that all people are welcomed, honored and fully engaged in the life of our academic community. We recruit exceptional and diverse faculty and encourage applications from individuals who are underrepresented in their profession. Our faculty enjoy an atmosphere of collegiality and mutual respect that rewards outstanding teaching and fosters active intellectual and creative engagement. Faculty are productive scholars and researchers, supported by professional development funds. Faculty and administrators regularly consult and collaborate as the University works to sustain a culture of scholarly inquiry, informed debate, and civic action that enriches students, faculty, and the surrounding community. The result is a supportive and cohesive academic setting in which the University cultivates and carries forward its mission. The University is among the highest ranked in the nation for its quality of life and innovative spirit. For further information, please visit our website at http://www.cnu.edu.
F174PApplication Instructions :
Please provide the following:
- Cover letter describing qualifications.
- Curriculum vitae (resume) detailing relevant teaching and/or professional experience.
- Graduate transcripts (photocopies acceptable for initial screening).
- Contact information for at least three references.
Review of applications will begin immediately.
Search finalists are required to complete a CNU sponsored background check.
Christopher Newport University (CNU) will make a reasonable effort to accommodate persons with disabilities in the application and/or interview process. Persons with disabilities who require accommodation should contact the CNU Human Resources Office by calling (757) 594-7145.Quick Link for Internal Postings:
https://jobs.cnu.edu/postings/13833EEO Statement :
Christopher Newport University, an EO Employer, is fully Committed to Access and Opportunity. Notice of Non-Discrimination & Title IX Policy Statement: