Fayetteville State University Media Relations Manager (Temporary Position)Position Number::
SH3020Full-time or Part-time::
Temporary PoolsPosting Number::
$27.00.00 - $33.00.00Overall Position Competency::
TMPDescription of primary duties and responsibilities::
Brief Summary of Job DutiesDescription of Work Continued::
Working with the Associate Vice Chancellor for Strategic Communication, the Media Relations Manager (“Manager”) develops and implements strategies for increasing public understanding and awareness of the campus. The Manager is responsible for providing news and information for the public and key audiences through a clear understanding of news, skilled work with the media, programs for public outreach, and / or strategic communication of the institution’s messages.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements::
- Writes and distributes press releases on behalf of the university
- Anticipates potential areas of interest or concern and develops communications strategies and tactics to prepare Fayetteville State University to successfully and effectively address these areas to the media and various public audiences.
- Drafts University statements and working with the AVC of Strategic Communication develops responses to media requests.
- Works closely with the AVC of Strategic Communication to draft messages targeted to campus’s external and internal audiences.
- Develops and maintains media contacts. Oversees the maintenance and regular updating of media distribution lists. Monitors the press to identify opportunities for publicizing FSU projects and people and to stay abreast of the needs and interests of print, broadcast, and digital media.
- Working with the AVC of Strategic Communication, develops and continually optimizes distribution strategies to maximize reach of FSU news content.
- Working with the Public Communications Specialist, develops and implements new distribution methods/channels for news and information about the campus to print, broadcast, and digital media, as well as directly to the public. Adapts and implements new media techniques and technologies to help tell the FSU story.
- Monitors important campus and FSU issues to assist in developing campus responses as needed. Keeps abreast of key issues in higher education on the national, state, and local level.
- Provides professional advice to campus administrators, faculty and staff members, and students concerning publicity needs and planning and the news media’s preferences and practices.
- Ensures that proactive media placements are consistent with strategic messaging goals.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations or related field or equivalent combination of education/experience
- 4 – 6 years or progressive experience working with media
- Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal communications, active listening, and political acumen skills
Special Instructions to Applicants::
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment in PR or journalism
For full consideration, please include a resume and a cover letter as part of your application.Open Until Filled::
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.EEO Statement::
This position is subject to the successful completion of an employment background check. An employment background check includes a criminal background check, employment verification, reference checks, license verification (if applicable), academic verification and credit history check (if applicable).Veteran's Statement:
Fayetteville State University is committed to equality of educational opportunity and employment and does not discriminate against applicants, students, or employees based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity,sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status. Moreover, Fayetteville State University values diversity and actively seeks to recruit talented students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds.
Fayetteville State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and seeks priority referrals of protected veterans for our openings.Quick Link: