The Admissions and Financial Aid Division at Macalester College seeks to hire an Admissions Officer or Assistant Director of Admission. The position performs a broad range of admissions duties including recruitment travel, interviewing prospective students, leading information sessions, evaluating applications for admission, serving on the Admissions Committee and working on other projects as assigned. Often serves as a prospective student's initial and ongoing contact with Macalester College and is a spokesperson for the College's academic and extracurricular programs.
Availability for evening and weekend events as well as overnight travel year-round with peaks in Sept -Oct and March-May.
- Engages in and promotes Macalester’s culture of diversity and inclusion, encompassing individuals of any heritage, identity, status or orientation.
- Guide and assist ethnic, geographic, racial, and socio-economically diverse domestic and international applicants through the recruitment, selection, and enrollment process.
- Present the College's academic and extracurricular programs to the public, highlighting Macalester's distinctiveness from other selective liberal arts colleges. Thoroughly answers questions from prospective students and parents, makes all visitors feel welcomed and comfortable throughout the process.
- Develops and implements recruitment strategies for assigned regions and reevaluates the effectiveness of these strategies each year.
- Travel activities include high school visits, college fairs, off-campus interviews, and other special events.
- Assists with special programming for under-represented students of color, first-generation students, LGBTQIA+, and low-income students.
- Participates in the admissions selection process and Admissions Committee. Practices holistic admissions and, in collaboration with a team partner, makes respectful and professional recommendations regarding admission decisions through evaluation of applications and participation on the Admissions Committee.
- Cultivate and maintain working relationships with high school administrators, college and guidance counselors, independent counselors, and community-based organizations.
- Support and assist small and large visit programing.
- Bachelor's Degree required.
- Required Experience:
- Recent college graduates and those with one or three years of professional work experience in college admissions, counseling or student affairs will be considered for the Admissions Officer role.
- The Assistant Director position requires at least three years of professional work experience in college admissions, counseling or student affairs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Interest and ability to work in a hybrid in-person and remote environment with extensive travel and some evening and weekend work at different times of the year.
- Demonstrates the commitment to equity, inclusion, and diversity. Actively engages in learning and practicing principles of social justice and inclusion to increase individual capacity to support institutional changes that create and sustain a more welcoming and inclusive environment across the Macalester Community and in the college admissions process.
- Ability to meet deadlines, manage multiple tasks, and communicate with appropriate staff. Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to present information on the College to large and small groups
- Proficiency with Microsoft applications, Google applications and ability to learn data management software.
- A valid driver's license is required.
- Ability to occasionally work evenings and weekends
- Ability and comfort with travel, i.e. driving a rental car and flying on domestic aircraft.
- Application reading will require sitting and operating a computer for extended periods of time during the application reading season.
- Additional physical activity includes carrying admissions materials while traveling, lifting and transporting 10-15 lb boxes, standing for extended periods of time and assisting with event set-up on occasion.
Compensation & Benefits
The salary range for an Admissions Officer and Assistant Director of Admissions is $40,000 to $52,000 and Macalester's Benefits. Once the level of a candidate's experience is evaluated by the hiring committee, a more accurate salary estimation will be shared during a follow-up phone conversation.
To be considered, please submit your resume and cover letter in one pdf to the posting on Macalester’s Employment Opportunities page. Priority will be given to candidates who apply by July 22nd, and the position will be posted until filled.
All inquiries regarding this position can be directed to:
Talent Acquisition Manager
Macalester College - Institutional Overview
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphasis on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.Macalester is proud of its longstanding commitment to social justice and creating a safe environment for all people regardless of sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, gender, religion, age, or ability. Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities and women.BenefitsMacalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none. Please visit http://www.macalester.edu/employmentservices/benefits/ for more information about benefits at Macalester College.Our Commitment to Safety in response to COVID-19:For the safety of our community, Macalester requires all employees to have received a COVID-19 vaccine. Should a newly hired employee be unable to receive the vaccination for either medical or religious reasons we offer accommodations and assistance.Questions or concerns about this process should be directed to Bob Graf, Director of Employment Services, at [email protected]