Job Location: Earlham College - Richmond, IN
Position Type: Full Time
Education Level: Graduate Degree
Salary Range: $47,000.00 - $49,000.00 Salary/year
Job Category: Administrative Faculty
Earlham College seeks a motivated, independent, creative person to direct our Writing Center.The Director will partner with personnel across the College to promote excellent writing. Thisposition is supervised by the Library Director. Duties and Responsibilities:
- Select, train, and supervise student writing/research peer consultants at a unified service area in the main library.
- Perform individual writing/research tutoring.
- Partner closely with colleagues in the Library, the Academic Enrichment Center, the Teaching and Learning Consultant, and other campus units.
- Assist with library and campus plans to advance Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- Read and evaluate writing placement essays for incoming students.
- Manage the Writing Center website and operating budget.
- Classroom writing workshops and course-integrated sessions on writing and citation competencies,
- 1-credit writing tutorials,
- Occasional faculty development workshops and seminars in coordination with the Colleges Teaching and Learning Consultant, librarians, and Director of the Quantitative Reasoning Center, covering writing assignment topics such as multimodal composition or scholarly communication,
- After one year, possibly a 4-credit first-year seminar or a 1-credit LIFT Program (first-generation student) section.
- Masters degree in a writing-related field, Composition and Rhetoric preferred
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge and experience with Writing Center practice and theory
- Experience training and managing undergraduate peer-tutors
- Ability to work closely with a range of campus constituencies
- Ability to work with students at all levels
Preference will be given to those candidates with background in Writing Center Administration at the collegiate level, proven success in training and managing student tutors, and/or ELL or multimodal composition background. As a member of the Earlham College Faculty, this position has privileges which include:
About Earlham College:
- Participation in the faculty governance process and committees;
- Support for professional development;
- Eligibility for sabbatical leave;
- Eligibility to teach courses in the curriculum and lead off-campus programs based on qualifications and experience.
Earlham College is a top-ranked liberal arts college located in Richmond, IN, right on the Indiana-Ohio border. Earlham offers the many advantages of a smaller city with a low cost-of-living, while being within an hour of several larger metropolitan areas: Indianapolis, Dayton, and Cincinnati. Earlham is committed to and proud of being a diverse and inclusive place most clearly visible in our student body: fully 22% of our student body are international, coming from 59 nations in 2017, and 25% are domestic students of color. Faculty and staff also bring tremendous diversity to the College many have lived and worked outside the United States, and they make a point of drawing on those experiences in their interactions with students. Additionally, Earlham makes it a priority to serve as a safe and welcoming place for LGBTQ+ communities. Our community is characterized by respect for every person and a commitment to social justice. Earlham recently affirmed making equity and inclusion work among our primary institutional goals. Application Instructions
Interested candidates should submit the following through the Earlham College/Paycom Employment Site
- cover letter explaining their interest in the position, describing how they match the preferred qualifications and how they are prepared for the position responsibilities
- statement on diversity which should include how your professional experiences would contribute to the Colleges commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- names and contact details of three references
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the search will remain open until the position is filled. Earlham College requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 or apply for and receive a qualified exemption within two weeks of the employment start date.
Earlham utilizes E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility for all newly hired employees within the United States. Earlham College is an equal opportunity employer committed to building a diverse community, one that reflects the makeup of society at large and that particularly welcomes and supports individuals from groups that have been historically marginalized because of factors such as race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, socioeconomic class, and physical ability. The College strongly encourages applications from women and people of color. As an institution with a Quaker identity, the College also solicits applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).