Dining Services - Student Lead 2022-23Student Position Type:
Non Federal Work Study/La Verne WorkAppointment Type:
As needed, available nights and weekendsNumber of Vacancies:
3Job Description Summary:
The Student Lead for The Spot/Barbara’s Place takes ownership and participates in the overall success of the Food Program. This entails adhering to the Client’s culture and guidelines, the Health Department’s regulations, and Bon Appétit standards of food quality, freshness and presentation. This position is accountable for the front of the house, daily administrative and operational tasks, including sanitation and safety. In addition, the Student Lead also helps to motivate, train, develop and direct the student staff to accomplish the objectives of the operation and maintain a positive relationship with our client.Specific Duties:
• Safety Meeting-suggestions
1. Learn and train all personnel in safe operating procedures of all equipment, utensils and machinery.
2. Provide safety training in lifting, carrying, hazardous material control, chemical control, first aid.
3. Follows all Safety Manual guidelines.
• Supervise station specific daily and weekly FOH cleaning checklists and oversee their accomplishment.
• Report any injury, accident and/or foodborne illness incident for customers and/or student staff accurately and in a timely manner to the Manager.
Note: Job duties are subject to change as needed.
● Meet all timelines cafe service, accounts receivable, corporate programs and all other project deadlines given by management.Minimum Qualifications:
● Teach and adhere to Bon Appétit philosophy, culture and commitment to quality food and exemplary service.
● Have a Passion for food and service.
Lead and Development of Student Staff
● Supervise the daily conduct of the student staff.
● Supervise the adherence to proper uniform standards guidelines.
● Provide feedback to Director of Operations in the evaluation of staff.
● Ensure that all student training standards are met and documented.
● Meet and exceed the expectations of the customer and client perceived value.
● Work with Director of Operations to ensure that all display and café culinary set up meet specific account standards.
Customer Service and Client Relations
● Represent the company in a courteous, efficient and friendly manner in all customer, client and employee interactions
● Interact with customers and resolve customer complaints in a friendly and service- oriented manner or direct them to any Manager.
● Communicate with the Client honestly, accurately and in a timely manner.
● Ensure that student staff follow the proper time and attendance policy.
● Ensure that overall Café/Barbara’s Place meets the standards as presented in Great Expectations, as well as oversees the daily appearance and upkeep of the following stations:
1. Impulse Products by cash registers
2. Grab n Go Station
3. Coffee Stations
4. Beverage Station
5. Pastries, Cakes and Frozen Food Items
6. Specialty Waters
7. Condiment Stations
8. Sitting room Area
• Make sure all tables are clean and chairs are tucked before service
• Make sure all Bon Appétit monthly information is well posted and distributed throughout the cafe
• Welcome guests throughout service- offer to help them find anything (dish drop, to go containers, etc.)
Ensure that the overall café meets the standards as presented in Great Expectations.
● Refer to Daily Procedure Checklist
Cash Handling Supervision
• Distribute cash drawers if needed
• Verify open cash drawers
• Verifies closing cash draw
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.Benefits Summary:
• Ability to interact with diverse and high volume customer base in a friendly and efficient manner.
• Ability to record worked hours for processing.
• Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10’s and 100’s. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
• Ability to answer basic questions regarding unit operations and direct other questions to appropriate parties.
• Posses the ability to meet Bon Appétit unit specific uniform standards for this position.
• Utilize all Personal Protective Equipment’s per Bon Appétit guidelines.
• Wear a cut resistant glove whenever using a sharp or potentially sharp tool or instrument.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
• ServSafe Certification
• Harassment Prevention and Title lX-Provided by the university
• FERPA Training- Provided by the university
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an student staff to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
• Stand and walk for extended periods of time (2 – 4 hours).
• Walk; use hands or finger, handle or feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; reach with hands and arms.
• Occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
• Repetitive motion of reaching, register use, and handling change (use hands to manipulate, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms)
• Twist and bend while standing.
• Stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
• Occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, and taste or smell.
• Ability to speak, read, and follow simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos in English.
• Ability to write simple correspondence.
• Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other student staff of the organization.
ACHIEVING LEADERSHIP IN THE FOODSERVICE INDUSTRY:
Bon Appétit is a diversity growth-oriented organization. Our goal is to improve the quality of work life by using fair and consistent treatment and providing equal growth opportunities for ALL associates. EOE & AA Employer M/F/D/V.
This position supervises several (10-15) hourly employees of diverse background and skill level.
Employees are eligible for the following benefits:
One hour of Paid Sick Leave for every 30 hours worked, with a maximum accrual of 24 hours of Paid Sick Leave per year and capped at 48 hours.
University of La Verne Defined Contribution Retirement Plan – can contribute employee voluntary contributions, excluding wages derived from federal work study funds.
In accordance with the Affordable Care Act (ACA), employees who work an average of 30 or more hours per week, will be eligible for medical coverage through the University of La Verne.
Covered under the University of La Verne Workers Compensation Insurance.Location:
La Verne Central CampusIf Other, please specify.:
The Spot Cafe and Barbara's PlacePosting Number:
20191039SESpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Please note that is is a semester long position that needs a consistent candidate who will be punctual to every shift. If interested, please fill out the online application and email: [email protected] with “Student Lead” in the subject line. In the body of the email, please indicate why you are interested in the position and 2-3 availability slots for an interview.Open Date:
09/30/2022Open Until Filled: