Visiting Assistant Professor of History and Global StudiesJob Description:
As a part of a diverse community of faculty and staff who represent many faith systems and worldviews, the Department of Global and Cultural Studies at Marian University-Indianapolis seeks qualified applicants for a visiting assistant professor position, beginning August 15, 2022, to promote our Catholic Franciscan mission and identity. This position reports to the Chair for the Department of History and Global Studies. The successful candidate will be expected to teach introductory history and global studies courses in the general education curriculum in addition to upper-level courses in their area of expertise. Preference will be given to candidates who bring research and teaching specializations in global law, environmental policy, international human rights history, or comparative political systems. Disciplinary background is open, but applications are encouraged from people who enjoy working at the boundaries of disciplines, in a transdisciplinary and interdisciplinary department.
The successful candidate will support Marian University’s Catholic mission and identity by fostering student learning through innovative pedagogy, inclusive practices, and impactful research projects across the curriculum. The Department of Global and Cultural Studies at Marian University is a collaborative and growing academic community committed to fostering student engagement, problem solving, and communication. Marian University believes that to grow stronger it is essential to recruit and retain a diverse faculty to build an inclusive community. Thus, we welcome and encourage applications across the intersections of diverse races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, socioeconomic backgrounds, political perspectives, cultures, and national origins.
Marian University is a Catholic, comprehensive, regional institution of higher education dedicated to excellent teaching and learning in the Franciscan and liberal arts traditions and offers a multitude of undergraduate, graduate and professional programs. Marian University has been experiencing significant growth over the last decade and is expanding its academic offerings in many areas.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively engages the Catholic Franciscan mission and identity of Marian University by modeling the Franciscan Sponsorship Values, honoring the legacy of the founding congregation, promoting unity in diversity, and integrating the Catholic Franciscan intellectual traditions in courses, programs, and services.
- Teaching Load: 18 – 24 credits per academic year
- Engage in research, scholarship, and other professional activities.
- Mentor students through advising, research, and internship opportunities.
- Actively participate in department, school and university-wide activities, projects, and recruitment programs.
- Actively participate in the life of the campus and university service, including participation in faculty governance and co-curricular programs.
- Contribute to a campus culture committed to professionalism, collegiality, and confidentiality.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A Ph.D. in History, Global Studies or relevant disciplines for the position.
- Evidence of capacity for effective teaching in higher education.
- Potential for ongoing research, publication, and activity in professional associations.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with online education is strongly desired.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the mission of Marian University.
Founded in 1937 by the Sisters of St. Francis, Oldenburg, Indiana, Marian University is the only Catholic university in Indianapolis and central Indiana. In 2019, Marian is serving more than 2,400 undergraduate and 1,160 graduate students earning degrees in the arts, business, education, engineering, math, medicine, nursing, ministry, and the natural and physical sciences. The university’s high-impact, experiential curriculum is designed to provide hands-on, collaborative learning opportunities for students from 45 states and 23 nations. Marian climbed in U.S. News & World Report’s 2021 Midwest rankings, being named the #3 Most Innovative Regional University, #5 Best Value University, and #28 Best Regional University. Marian University opened its College of Osteopathic Medicine in 2013, making it the first new school of medicine in the state of Indiana in 110 years. Marian’s national champion varsity athletic programs include the 2012 and 2015 NAIA Football National Championship, the 2016 and 2017 NAIA Women’s Basketball Championship, 2019 NAIA Volleyball National Championship, and more than 40 USA Cycling national championships.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applications require a letter of application, a current CV, three letters of recommendation, teaching philosophy, evidence of teaching effectiveness, and a sample of scholarly work (if applicable).
Marian University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.Posting Number:
P077FNumber of Vacancies:
1Open Until Filled:
YesSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Please Review Marian University’s Mission & Identity Statement before responding to the supplementary questions on your application:Quick Link for Internal Postings: