PG191851EPInternal Recruitment :
WebOPs Research Software EngineerAnticipated Hiring Range:
8AM-5PM M-FJob Location:
Raleigh, North CarolinaAbout the Department:
The Center for Geospatial Analytics is an interdisciplinary research and teaching center focused on data-driven spatial modeling and visualization for sustainable solutions to environmental and societal challenges. At the Center for Geospatial Analytics, everything is spatial and location matters in science, society, and decision-making processes.Essential Job Duties:
As the technological and intellectual hub for the Chancellor’s Faculty Excellence Program in Geospatial Analytics, the Center’s cross-College collaborations are advancing geospatial frontiers in Geovisualization, Dynamic Spatial-Temporal Modeling, GeoCloud Computing, Remote Sensing & Sensor Networks, Geospatial Intelligence & Data Mining, Open Source Solutions, and Spatial Decision Support Systems.
Administered by the College of Natural Resources (CNR), the Center is playing a leadership role in decision-support analytics through cutting-edge research and outreach that is positioning NC State as a go-to-place for geospatial solutions to grand challenges, and distinguished graduate education and training that is positioning NC State as a major supplier of geospatial scientists and problem solvers in NC and the country.
- Backend web developer, app developer, and architect for production ready applications and databases (e.g. running applications in docker with kubernettes).
- Assist in the design and implementation of a cutting-edge web interfaces that allow users to input data into a database and receive rapid disease assessment from ML algorithms.
- Utilize additional programming APIs specifically related to PostGres database queries.
- Utilize Elixer and Phoenix web framework.
- Utilize webSocket development to optimize their use in building of scientific applications for stakeholder engagement and use.
- Code in react native for building smart-phone applications for inputting sensor data into a postgres database.
- High level team work, working closely with a front-end web developer and research scientists for designing both the Web Applications for data visualization and interaction and Smartphone applications for uploading and viewing data collected by farmers and stakeholders.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Advocate for open geospatial solutions to challenging problems and develop collaborative projects to raise the profile of open source geospatial software.
- Provide expert guidance on open science and open source software through consultation services.
- Develop and deliver tutorials and workshops, lead community sprints.
- Develop cutting edge spatial analysis and modeling algorithms.
- Introduce distributed online, collaborative geospatial analytics and simulations environments.
- Provide advice on distributed processing environments (e.g. HPC, Apache Hadoop, Spark) and cloud computing (e.g. OpenStack, Docker).
- Maintain code repositories, documentation, and tutorials related to open source geospatial software development.
- Attend and present at meetings, conferences, workshops, and community sprints as a representative of the Center.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Relevant Master’s Degree degree, or relevant Bachelor’s degree with 2 or more years of experience including Docker and Kubernettes.Other Required Qualifications:
- Expertise in Docker, Kubernettes (or equivalent), Python, React, React Native, C++ programming. Elixer, and Phoenix web framework.
- Have knowledge of webSocket development to optimize their use in building of scientific applications for stakeholder engagement and use.
- Ability to code in react native for building smart-phone applications for inputting sensor data into a postgres database.
- Programming languages: C++, React, Elixer, and Phoenix web framework.
Required License(s) or Certification(s):
- Extensive knowledge of computer programming for web-based design.
- Ability to work as part of an interdisciplinary team.
N/AValid NC Driver's License required:
NoCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
07/01/2022Anticipated Close Date:
07/18/2022Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please attach a resume, cover letter and a separate document containing contact information for three references.Position Number:
EHRA Non-FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Non Mandatory - Emergency EventIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
150103 - The Center for Geospatial AnalyticsAA/EEO:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.