Georgia Highlands College is a multi-campus, state college member of the University System of Georgia. Founded in 1970 as Floyd Junior College, it now serves more than 6,000 students in Northwest Georgia and Northeast Alabama across its five locations in Rome, Cartersville, Marietta, Dallas, and Douglasville. GHC currently offers over 30 areas of study with associate degree and bachelor’s degree options both in the classroom and online.
We are a growing and progressive institution with opportunities for great employees to grow in a fast-paced and challenging work environment that encourages employee wellness and overall success. Our combined efforts at GHC have led to numerous awards, honors, and countless stories of success for students and employees.
This position is responsible for providing personal, group and academic counseling to students at one or more locations or sites.
- Counsels with students individual or in groups; provides crisis intervention counseling
- Coordinates classroom presentations for the purposes of acquainting students with departmental services
- Assists in serving students with disabilities
- Coordinates the scheduling, instruction, and publicity for academic enrichment programs/workshops
- Oversees outreach programs for various student groups, faculty and staff
- Assists in the selection and proper use of appropriate self-evaluation instruments
- Oversees the distribution of programmatic materials
- Maintain files and reporting statistics; contribute to the preparation of institutional reports
- This role is designed by the institution as a Position of Trust
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a Master’s degree in counseling or a course of study related to the occupational field.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years
- Professional licensure as a counselor is required. Exceptions can be made for those individuals within one year of licensure. All licensing within the state of Georgia must be completed within the first 12 months of employment in order to continue in this position
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license for the type of vehicle or equipment operated
Commensurate with relative education and experience.
Required Documents to Attach
2) Cover Letter
3) Unofficial transcripts, if applicable
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of University System of Georgia, Board of Regents and institutional policies and procedures
- Knowledge of personal, career, group, academic and crisis counseling principles and practices
- Knowledge of human developmental theory
- Knowledge of assessment and testing principles
- Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs
- Skill in the analysis of problems and the development and implementation of solutions
- Ability to communicate effectively with individuals and to gain trust
- Skill in oral and written communication
Conditions of Employment
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Georgia Highlands College, as determined by Georgia Highlands College in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Highlands College provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.