Are you interested in creating an amazing educational environment for students who are part of an equity driven community? Faculty at Cabrillo College provide quality programs and services to students that promote their diverse and evolving needs as they progress toward their individual educational goals. Come join us in our vision to improve the world one student at a time! PLEASE NOTE: Interviews are anticipated for this position in mid to late July; a brief teaching demonstration will be required during the interview. Starting Salary Range
: $60,189 to $92,390 per year
, salary placement determined by documented education and experience; maximum initial salary step placement on the faculty salary schedule
is step 9. An annual doctoral stipend of $4,018 is granted to eligible faculty.Excellent benefits, including quality health insurance at a *LOW COST for you and your family!
Our comprehensive benefits package includes medical, dental, life, short and long term, and vision (optional) insurance provided at a share of cost on a pretax basis, CalSTRS Retirement and an Employee Assistance Program. *Depending on health plan selections, in many cases full-time employee net out-of-pocket for benefit premiums may be as low as $0. Please see the Benefits link on the HR webpage for more information.About this Opportunity:
This full-time, temporary contract instructor for the 2022-2023 Academic Year pursuant to Ed Code 87481/82
will enjoy a 175
work schedule. The position begins
on Monday, August 22, 2022
pending Governing Board ratification. Classes may be in a traditional "in class" setting, online, or hybrid format scheduled over summer and/or winter months, and at various campus locations including days, evenings, and/or weekends.We are seeking a graphic design generalist with a broad knowledge of print, web, and interface design who has the requisite skills to play a leadership role in the department and teach a broad range of courses within the candidate's specific strengths and areas of interest, including but not limited to: web design, web development, interface design, graphic design and typography principles, digital imaging, digital illustration, animation/moving image, self-promotion, and marketing. The candidate should have expert technical knowledge in Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, and be highly proficient in HTML/CSS. WordPress, Adobe Animate, and social media self-promotion skills are a plus. The ideal candidate will also be an effective communicator and team player who can facilitate smooth operations of the program and facilities, develop cohesive strategies for growth and sustainability, develop student pathways into and through Cabrillo College to career and transfer, foster student success and creativity, and potentially provide leadership to the program as Department Chair/Co-Chair in the future.College Commitment to Equity and Diversity
candidate will share and participate in Cabrillo's commitment to the values of diversity and equity while serving its socioeconomically and ethnically diverse student community. In the Fall of 2020, 58% of Cabrillo students are members of minoritized populations, identifying themselves as LatinX (48%), Multi Ethnic (5%), Asian (2%), Black Non-Hispanic (1%), Filipino (1%), American Indian/Alaskan Native (<1%) and Pacific Islander (<1%).
Cabrillo is proud to be an Hispanic Serving Institution, enrolling 48% Hispanic students, and recent data from spring 2021 indicate that the college has closed the achievement gap for graduation success (50% of graduates are Hispanic). The college is also proud of its diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts, having established Board goals of supporting antiracism efforts and promoting a year-long equity reading certificate program for faculty, staff, and managers. Guided Pathways:
Cabrillo is proud to be a part of the California Guided Pathways
project helping students achieve their educational goals by providing a clear roadmap to completion.About the College
: Cabrillo College is highly regarded for its success of transfer and career education, and currently serves over 11,400 students each semester. Cabrillo transfers many of its students to three nearby universities – the University of California at Santa Cruz, San Jose State University, and California State University at Monterey Bay. Cabrillo's career education is closely connected to the nearby agricultural and farming industries and well as the Silicon Valley business environment.About the Community:
Santa Cruz County is situated on the northern coast of beautiful Monterey Bay. The county has four predominant regions: the northern coast that includes the urban areas of Santa Cruz, Soquel, Capitola, and Aptos; the mountainous north that separates Santa Cruz County from Silicon Valley, the San Lorenzo River Valley; and the agricultural south county that includes Watsonville and Corralitos on the way to Monterey, Carmel, and Salinas. With more than 29 miles of beaches, over 14 state parks, 2 colleges, over 70 wineries, hundreds of places to dine, a symphony, an NBA G League team, museums, a Shakespeare company and so much more, there’s something for everyone here.Faculty
at Cabrillo College actively participate in curriculum development, program planning, and serve on participatory governance committees. Cabrillo provides an excellent opportunity to learn, collaborate, create, and make a difference in the lives of its diverse student body and community.About the Department:
Housed within the Division of Visual, Applied, and Performing Arts (VAPA), the Digital Media Department prepares students to create visual concepts and communicate ideas that inspire, inform, and captivate users in print, screen, and interactive media. In the Digital Media Department, students use industry-standard Adobe CC software as a tool to create visual solutions to a number of graphic design problems, focusing on application of design principles and elements, typographic design, creative problem solving, and production practices in order to visually communicate messages and experiences. Students evaluate design work and explore graphic design within different contextual situations and develop successful visual communication solutions with a wide range of digital media. The program offers courses in design and typography principles, digital publishing, interactive media, motion media, digital art, digital illustration, animation, video, digital image editing, UI/UX design, and web design. Courses are offered in on-campus, online, and hybrid formats and emphasize technical skill development, creative problem solving, critical analysis, and visual design literacy. The Digital Media Department is a Career Technical Education (CTE) program with an active industry advisory board which prepare students completing these courses to enter the workforce. In addition, a number of Digital Media classes transfer either the University of California (UC) system, the California State University (CSU) system, or both.The Digital Media Program at Cabrillo College requires student's to obtain a series of competencies and proficiencies that will be obtained through a number of experiences in the classroom, computer lab, and hands-on coursework. The department has a newly created Associate of Science (AS) Degree in Graphic design which requires 60 units, plus several specialized skills certificates which are offered to accommodate a student's unique occupational and transfer goals. The Graphic Design AS Degree prepares students in the diverse field of graphic design, including: visual branding, logo development, advertising, promotional design, digital publishing, interactive media, motion media, digital art, illustration, digital image editing, UI/UX design, web design, and emerging occupations. Examples of Duties
- Teach assigned classes, which may include evening or off-campus assignments
- Collaborate in participatory governance committees, processes, and initiatives such as Guided Pathways
- Maintain timely and accurate records of student enrollment, attendance, and academic progress
- Provide academic assistance and related services to students during scheduled office hours Cooperate with and participate as may be required in District investigations and/or student grievance matters of alleged unlawful harassment, discrimination, and retaliation
- Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty and staff
- Work with the Dean of CTE and local educational partners to create and update student pathways as they relate to current labor market demand and curriculum of local education partners
- Complete required District trainings such as Title IX, Mandated Reporter, EEO/Diversity/Elimination of Bias, Workplace Safety, etc.
- Contribute to facility and program planning, equipment management, ordering supplies, scheduling, curriculum development, attending college meetings, and participation in related professional duties as required or assigned
- Communicate with staff and faculty in the digital media and art areas regarding instructional integrity and health and safety protocols
- Research and develop curriculum, certificates, and programming to align with growth areas in graphic design, web design, transfer pathways, and career preparation
- Develop cross-disciplinary opportunities at Cabrillo
- Pursue grant funding related to digital media and graphic design practice
- Develop partnerships with area high schools, universities, industry, and community organizations
The candidate will be the second full-time faculty member in the Digital Media Department and may be expected to serve as Chair/Co-Chair of the Department. As Department Chair, the candidate will be expected, under supervision of the Division Dean, to fulfill the Chair duties which include but are not limited to:Facilitate and run meetings with the Digital Media Industry Advisory CommitteeWork with the Dean of CTE to create new student pathways as they relate to current labor market demand and curriculum of local education partnersProgram planning, including oversight of the department budgetDeveloping and recommending class schedules and faculty assignments to the deanMonitoring facility and program needsCoordinating the general operation of the departmentCurriculum development, review, and assessmentLeading department meetings and Student Learner Outcome assessment
Minimum QualificationsRequired Education from a U.S. Department of Education recognized accredited organization and licensure qualifications: Bachelor’s degree AND two (2) years of occupational experience related to the subject of the course ORAssociate degree AND six (6) years of occupational experience related to the subject of the course taught ORThe *equivalent ORA lifetime California Community College Instructor Credential in Digital Media*Equivalency Application Form and Process linkWhy would I complete the Equivalency Form when I am already completing an application and have a relevant degree?
To determine whether your current education, or exact
discipline, and/or experience is "equivalent," you must submit an Equivalency Form to initiate a review by the Equivalency Committee at Cabrillo College and so that your application can move forward and be considered by the search committee. Please note the Equivalency Committee will consider only those applicants who formally request equivalency consideration
by submitting the Completed Equivalency Form with their application by the closing date stated in the job announcement. Be sure to attach detailed evidence such as unofficial transcripts and/or other certifications that support the equivalency.Still working on completing your degree?
Applicants currently working on the required degree(s) for the position are encouraged to apply with the understanding that they must complete the Equivalency Form and attach supporting documentation with their application.For additional information, please review our Applicant FAQ’s here
.Required Professional Expertise: Currency and depth of knowledge in the applicable professional field, curriculum development, review and assessment of student learning outcomesKnowledge and understanding of programs such as Guided Pathways, that address commitment to equity-minded and culturally responsive teaching strategies enhancing student success Work cooperatively and demonstrate sensitivity to the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of students, administrators, faculty, and staffEffective oral and written communication skills and effective use of technologyEvidence of professional activities and service beyond primary teaching assignmentsDesired Qualifications/Performance Expectations:
- Master’s degree in graphic design, web design, multimedia, or related field
- At least five (5) years successful teaching experience in Graphic Design, Web Design, or related field at a higher education institution
- Successful online and on campus teaching experience
- Ability to anticipate and respond to new trends in the discipline with new curriculum and teaching practices
- An interest in exploring new noncredit offerings as well as vocationally-focused curriculum (CTE Career Technical Education courses and certificates)
- An entrepreneurial mindset with an interest in developing an entrepreneurial mindset in digital media students such that students will be equipped with skills to develop their own creative livelihoods
Additional InformationAPPLICATION PROCESSCompleted applicationResume Answer all Supplemental QuestionsAttach one of the following:
- Unofficial transcripts from all colleges attended displaying any degrees conferred (copies, and downloads are acceptable). Foreign transcripts must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency at the applicant’s expense – click here for more information OR
- Copy of lifetime California Community College Instructor credential in Digital Media, front and back (if applicable) OR
- Equivalency Form – click here Submit this form with supporting materials if you do not possess the minimum qualifications as listed in the job announcement and feel you have the equivalent education and/or experience. Unofficial transcripts must accompany this form. Graduate students currently working on the required degree are encouraged to apply, with the understanding that the degree must be completed and confirmed by August 1, 2022.
: All application materials must be received by 11:59 pm on the closing date indicated above.Attention Applicants
Only completed applications with the above required documents will be reviewed by the committee. Application materials not required (including reference letters) for this position will not be reviewed.
Remove personally identifiable information such as personal photos, social security number, birth date, age, and gender from your application materials. Expenses related to the recruitment process are the responsibility of the applicant. Cabrillo is unable to sponsor work visas.Selection Procedure
Meeting the posted requirements does not guarantee an interview. A teaching demonstration / presentation may be a part of the interview, and finalists will be invited to return for a second interview. All notifications will be via email, and by accessing your application profile
Candidates invited in for an interview are slated for July 2022
.Conditions of Employment
Selected candidates given a conditional offer of employment are required to submit tuberculosis screening clearance results, official transcripts, proof of eligibility to work in the United States, and present their Social Security card upon hire (for payroll purposes). Please read Cabrillo’s COVID-19 Immunization Protocol here
Cabrillo College is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks a diverse pool of qualified applicants. The policy of the College is to encourage applications from all persons. No person shall be denied employment because of ethnicity or race, color, sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, medical conditions, status or protected veteran status.Accommodations
Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Human Resources at (831) 479-6217.