Human Resources TechnicianPosting Number:
Human ResourcesPosition Classification:
Classified Unit ATime (Percent Time)::
12 months/yearCurrent Work Schedule (days, hours)::
Monday - Thursday: 8:00am - 5:00pm; Friday: 8:00am - 4:30pmSalary Range::
Steps 1 - 6: $5,096. - $6,505.Shift Differential::
Shift differential eligibility based on the current collective bargaining agreement.Open Date::
06/29/2022Initial Screening Date::
07/25/2022Open Until Filled::
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled; however, applications submitted by 11:59 p.m. (PT) on the listed Initial Screening Date are assured consideration.Health & Welfare::
Applicants must submit all of the following materials online, unless otherwise noted, at Mt.SAC Employment Website to be considered for this position:
1. A Mt. San Antonio College online application.
2. A cover letter describing how the applicant meets the required education and experience.
3. A detailed résumé that summarizes educational preparation and professional experience for the position.
4. If applicable, College and/or university transcripts showing the awarded/conferred degree are required and must be submitted with the online application by all applicants, including current or former employees of the college, to demonstrate that the required educational qualifications are met. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at the time of application; however, copies of diplomas are not accepted in lieu of transcripts.
5. Optional – Three letters of recommendation that reflect relevant experience (do not use social media or professional networks as a means to provide letters of recommendation). Confidential letters of recommendation are not allowed for this position.
Mt. San Antonio College offers a competitive and excellent benefits package providing medical, dental, and vision benefits for eligible employees and their dependents. Lifetime medical benefits are also available for eligible retirees.Basic Function/Overview::
The College contributes an annual premium up to the family coverage amount for Kaiser Permanente $15 office visit medical, DeltaCare HMO dental, VSP vision and life insurance plans for eligible employees.
The District participates in the Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS), State Teachers’ Retirement System (STRS) retirement programs, and National Benefit Services.
*Note: Salary and Health & Welfare Benefits are subject to change. Please visit the Mt. San Antonio College Benefits Website for further information.
OVERVIEW: Essential Duties/Major Responsibilities::
Under the general supervision of the Associate Vice President of Human Resources, the incumbent in this position provides a high level of customer service to both external and internal customers and provides responsible, technical and administrative support to the Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Compliance and Recruitment Services Department within the Human Resources Division. Responsibilities include areas such as: recruitment and selection, classification, compensation, Human Resources Information System (HRIS) database management, and employee training and orientation. Additionally, the incumbent may serve as an EEO representative during screening and selection processes.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED & EXERCISED:
Receives general supervision. Exercises no supervision of staff.
This is an experienced-level paraprofessional class in the Human Resources Division responsible for performing the full range of technical work in all of the following areas: recruitment, testing, and selection, classification, compensation, HRIS database management, and employee training and orientation, in addition to performing a variety of record-keeping, administrative, and technical support activities. Positions at this level receive only occasional instruction or assistance as new or unusual situations arise and are fully aware of the operating procedures and policies of the work unit. Successful performance of the work requires the frequent use of tact, discretion, and independent judgment, knowledge of departmental and College activities, and extensive staff, public, and organizational contact. This class is distinguished from the Human Resources Analyst in that the latter is a professional-level classification that requires a four-year degree.
1. Participates in the recruitment, testing, and selection of faculty, management, confidential, supervisory, short-term, and classified positions, including preparing advertisements and recruitment job flyers, coordinates recruitment processes, and schedules and coordinates written performance tests and interviews; advertises, posts, and mails job bulletins; screens applications based on minimum requirements; conducts employment examinations; develops screening materials; prepares and sends confirmation materials and notification letters to applicants; and may serve as an EEO representative during screening and selection processes.Other Duties::
2. Schedules and coordinates selection processes; coordinates selection panels and arranges interviews involving employees and other parties.
3. Notifies candidates at all steps of the selection process, as assigned; processes employee pre-placement physical examination paperwork.
4. Coordinates Department of Justice/fingerprint live scan process for required classifications, maintains documentation in HRIS (Banner), and documents clearance in employee personnel files.
5. Maintains the on-line applicant tracking system and provides training and support to all end users; answers questions regarding open positions, application procedures, employment procedures and basic salary administration practices.
6. Responds to requests for employment verification.
7. Assists in coordinating and attending job fairs.
8. Reviews and verifies employee information and data; establishes and maintains employee personnel files and records in the College’s human resources information system (HRIS).
9. Conducts and coordinates orientations for newly hired employees; answers employee questions regarding employment policies, procedures and other concerns.
10. Processes personnel transaction action forms and other related documents, and enters data into HRIS regarding salary, employment status changes, promotions, terminations, resignations and retirements; coordinates with payroll regarding payroll deductions and leaves of absence.
11. Reviews applicant salary information, transcripts, degrees, work experience and related materials to ensure appropriate salary placement in a timely manner.
12. Accurately calculates and implements salary changes in the College’s employee human resources information system (Banner), updates salary schedules, and coordinates with Fiscal and Payroll services as necessary to ensure accurate and timely employee compensation.
13. Evaluates, analyzes, and maintains the HRIS; works with end users in report writing, system troubleshooting, table maintenance, and high level data audits; actively participates in system enhancement and upgrade efforts; develops and executes test scripts for HRIS maintenance or upgrades; conducts unit/system testing; coordinates HRIS training activities.
14. Administers the Employment Eligibility Verification process, including completing Form I-9 to document verification of the identity and employment authorization of each new employee (both citizen and noncitizen) ensuring that the form is completed properly and timely, examining evidence of identity and employment authorization within the prescribed time, certifying the employee’s first day of employment, signing and attesting to the completion of the Form I-9, and maintaining accurate files.
15. Facilitates employee exit interviews.
16. Interprets, applies, explains, and ensures compliance with Federal, State, and local laws and regulations concerning human resources programs.
17. Participates in special human resources projects and programs and prepares annual and special reports related to assigned functions and programs; coordinates and integrates program services and activities with other agencies and College departments.
18. Receives and screens visitors, telephone calls, and emails, providing a high level of customer service to both external and internal customers; provides information to College staff, other organizations, and the public, requiring the use of judgment and the interpretation of complex policies, rules, procedures, and ordinances.
19. Provides general administrative support to the Human Resources functions, including preparing correspondence, memoranda, and reports, performing front desk customer service, data entry, filing, receiving and appropriately routing correspondence, and maintaining schedules and records.
20. Receives, reviews, and processes subpoenas for employee records.
21. Organizes and maintains various administrative, confidential, reference, and follow-up files; purges files as required.
22. Operates standard office equipment, including job-related computer hardware and software applications, facsimile equipment, and multi-line telephones.
23. Participates on committees, task forces, and special assignments, including, but not limited to Screening and Selection Committees and affiliated trainings. Prepares and delivers oral presentations related to assigned areas if needed.
Performs other related duties as assigned.Knowledge Of::
1. Basic principles and practices of the human resources function in a public agency setting.Skills and Abilities::
2. Policies and procedures related to recruitment, selection, classification, compensation, and benefits administration.
3. Methods, techniques, and practices of data collection, data entry, and basic report writing.
4. Business letter writing and standard writing practices for correspondence.
5. Applicable Federal, State, and local laws, regulatory codes, ordinances, and procedures relevant to assigned area of responsibility.
6. Record-keeping principles and procedures.
7. Modern office practices, methods, and computer equipment and applications related to the work, including word processing, database, and spreadsheet software.
8. English usage, grammar, spelling, vocabulary, and punctuation.
9. Techniques for providing a high level of customer service by effectively dealing with the public, vendors, students, and College staff, including individuals of various ages, disabilities, socio-economic and ethnic groups.
1. Interpret, apply, explain, and ensure compliance with Federal, State, and local laws, rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and practices of human resources administration.Minimum Qualifications:
2. Review human resources documents for completeness and accuracy.
3. Administer effective recruitment, testing, and selection practices.
4. Maintain accurate and confidential human resources records.
5. Perform detailed human resources office support work accurately and in a timely manner.
6. Maintain confidentiality of sensitive personal information of applicants, employees, former employees, and other matters affecting employee relations.
7. Respond to and effectively prioritize multiple phone calls and other requests for service.
8. Compose correspondence and reports independently or from brief instructions.
9. Accurately calculate employee compensation.
10. Enter and retrieve data from a computer with sufficient speed and accuracy to perform assigned work.
11. Establish and maintain a variety of filing, record-keeping, and tracking systems.
12. Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
13. Organize and prioritize a variety of projects and multiple tasks in an effective and timely manner; organize own work, set priorities, and meet critical time deadlines.
14. Operate modern office equipment including computer equipment and specialized software applications programs.
15. Use English effectively to communicate in person, over the telephone, and in writing.
16. Understand scope of authority in making independent decisions.
17. Determine appropriate course of action using judgment according to established policies and procedures.
18. Establish, maintain, and foster positive and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
19. Learns and applies emerging technologies and, as necessary, to perform duties in an efficient, organized, and timely manner.
20. Utilize employee/payroll information systems (Banner).
Equivalent to an Associate’s degree from a regionally accredited college in human resources management, business or public administration, or a related field; and two (2) years of technical or paraprofessional human resources support experience in a public agency setting preferred.Equivalencies::
A Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration (with a related emphasis) or directly related field may qualify incumbents for an increased pay grade.
A Bachelor’s degree in Technical Management (with a related emphasis) or directly related field may qualify incumbents for an increased pay grade.
A Master’s degree in Public Administration or directly related field may qualify incumbents for an increased pay grade.
Any combination of training and experience which would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications is listed in the Minimum Qualifications section.License(s) & Other Requirements::
Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California Driver’s License by time of appointment.Physical Demands::
Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and use standard office equipment, including a computer; to operate a motor vehicle and to visit various College and meeting sites; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person, before groups, and over the telephone. This is primarily a sedentary office classification although standing and walking between work areas may be required. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard, typewriter keyboard, or calculator and to operate standard office equipment. Positions in this classification occasionally bend, stoop, kneel, reach, push, and pull drawers open and closed to retrieve and file information. Incumbents must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects up to 25 pounds with the use of proper equipment.Hazards::
Incumbents work in an office environment with moderate noise levels, controlled temperature conditions, and no direct exposure to hazardous physical substances.Conditions of Employment::
Official offers of employment are made by Mt. San Antonio College Human Resources and are made contingent upon Board approval. It is also required that a final offer of employment will only be made after the candidate has successfully been live-scanned and clearance for employment is authorized by Human Resources. Costs for live-scan services shall be borne by the candidate. Special Notes::
Notice to all prospective employees – The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in Administrative Procedure 3518, titled Child Abuse Reporting, as a condition of employment.
As required by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Mt. San Antonio Community College Annual Security Report is available here: Mt. SAC Annual Security Report.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘Responsible Employee’ under Title IX of the Educational Amendments Act of 1972 and is required to report to the College’s Title IX Coordinator all relevant details reported to him or her about an incident of alleged sexual misconduct including sexual harassment, sexual assault, dating and domestic violence and stalking.
A confirmation number will be assigned when your application packet indicates the supplemental questions have been answered and a document has been attached to each required link. Assistance with the online application process is available through Human Resources at 1100 N. Grand Avenue, Walnut, CA 91789-1399. Human Resources: (909) 274-4225. E-mail: [email protected]. Foreign Transcripts::
DO NOT include photographs or any personal information (e.g. D.O.B, place of birth, etc.) on your application or supporting documents.
TRAVEL POLICY : Costs associated with travel in excess of 150 miles one way from residence for the purpose of an interview will be reimbursed up to a $500 maximum (per position recruitment). Relocation costs will be borne by the successful candidate. Travel reimbursement claims must be submitted no later than 30 days following the interview date.
THE MT. SAN ANTONIO COLLEGE DISTRICT WILL NOT SPONSOR ANY VISA APPLICATIONS.
Transcripts issued outside the United States require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached with the application and submitted by the filing deadline. Accredited evaluation agencies can be found on the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services Website.Inquiries/Contact::
Human Resources Selection Procedure::
1100 N. Grand Avenue, Walnut, CA 91789-1399.
Phone: (909) 274-4225
E-mail: emplo[email protected]
A committee will evaluate applications, taking into account breadth and depth of relevant education, training, experience, skills, knowledge, and abilities. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview.Special Instructions to Applicants::
Interviews may include a writing sample, committee presentation, and/or performance test. The start date will be following Board approval and receipt of live scan clearance.
To be guaranteed consideration, it is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all required materials are received before the initial screening date and time indicated on the job posting. Incomplete application packets will not be considered. All application materials will become College property, will not be returned, and will not be copied. Please visit our employment website at Mt. SAC Employment Website to complete and submit your application for this position.EEO Policy::
The College is an equal opportunity employer. The policy of the College is to encourage applications from ethnic and racial minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and Vietnam-era veterans. No person shall be denied employment because of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex (gender), age, sexual orientation, or the perception that a person has one or more of these characteristics.Conflict of Interest:
Mt. San Antonio College employees and the Board of Trustees members shall not engage in any employment or activity that is inconsistent with, incompatible with, or in conflict with Mt. San Antonio College’s Administrative Procedures (AP 2710 Conflict of Interest, AP 2712 Conflict of Interest Codes).Cancel RTF Policy::
We reserve the right to re-open, re-advertise, delay, or cancel filling this position. This recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies.Quick Link: