Title:VP of Engineering
Position Type:Full time
Requisition No: 22591
Supervisor: Chief Product Officer
Last Updated: June 2022
Purpose:Develop and run the software engineering and maintenance
functions and teams at Calbright
Location:Remote, various locations throughout California
The Vice President of Engineering is a new position at Calbright College. The successful candidate will join the College’s leadership team and play a critical role in developing and running the software engineering and maintenance functions and teams at Calbright. The position will report to the Chief Product Officer and will lead a team of engineers and technical experts who will continue to expand upon the College’s student-centered design and also build and implement systems and protocols to support the core functions of the College and its faculty and staff.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
The duties below are representative of the role and are not intended to cover all of the duties performed within the scope of work:
- Serve as Calbright’s senior technical expert
- Provide leadership in enterprise-wide technology development architectures, as well as engineering policies and practices across the organization.
- Manage and support software and system engineers, architects, and technicians to develop and maintain Calbright’s core systems.
- Contribute to critical decisions regarding the building and maintenance of Calbright’s technical infrastructure
- Contribute to strategic technology direction at the executive leadership level, as well as assemble input and consensus among technical staff across the company on important issues.
- Work with product, design, and management teams to plan for software and systems development roadmaps and budgets.
- Oversee the successful delivery, advancement, and maintenance of Calbright’s technical infrastructure, including:
- Technical project management
- DevOps CI/CD process
- Infosec and QA processes
- Customer support coordination
- Uptime and operational coordination
- Oversee and contribute to critical software and systems architecture decisions.
- Perform other related duties as assigned that support the objective of the position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Software and systems architecture and design.
- Ability to organize and coordinate with DevOps/CI/CD, Information Security, Quality Assurance processes.
- Technical management processes such as Agile/Scrum, Kanban, and related practices.
- Ability to create budgets and estimations for technical projects
- Ability to recruit, build, and manage teams of technical staff: providing guidance, setting norms, enforcing policies, and supporting individual and team development.
- Demonstrate understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, staff, and faculty.
- Bachelor’s degree and 7 years of progressive experience in software technology development product design and development
- At least 4 years of experience in leadership/management positions
- Experience with higher education technology infrastructure and policies
Working Conditions and Travel
- Calbright College is a statewide online college where all instruction and support are done via various online technologies both in person and remotely. Calbright College has administrative offices in Sacramento available for use. When working remotely, employees should be able and willing to use digital communication tools as used by the college, and have the ability to work on a computer for extended periods of time.
- Regular attendance is considered an essential job function; the inability to meet attendance requirements may preclude the employee from retaining employment.
- The person holding this position is considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in Calbright College policies, procedures, and Title IX.
- Calbright College celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators, and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing Calbright College’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.
- Requires the ability to function in a remote online instructional environment performing work of primarily a sedentary nature. Requires the ability to use hearing and speech to make presentations to groups and carry on conversations over the phone and in person. Requires speaking skills to communicate with staff and students in one-on-one and small group settings, on the phone, and to distinguish sound prompts from various types of equipment. Requires near visual acuity to read printed materials and computer screens. Requires sufficient hand/arm/finger dexterity to retrieve work materials, operate a personal computer keyboard, and operate standard office equipment. Requires the ability to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Work is performed indoors where minimal safety considerations exist.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Calbright College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, veteran status, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Calbright College complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
Who We Are
Calbright College is one of California’s newest community colleges – the first statewide, online campus designed to bridge the gap between employers with unfilled positions and students who don’t have either the time or money to attend a traditional school. Our mission is to increase economic mobility and close equity gaps for working adults who lack easy access to traditional forms of higher education by offering online, flexible, affordable skills-based programs that provide tangible economic value for both working adults and hiring managers.