The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America’s Best Employers By State in 2021.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. New hires are expected to be fully vaccinated before beginning work at the University. For more information about Penn’s vaccine requirements and the use of Penn Open Pass, visit the Penn COVID-19 Response website for the latest information. Posted Job Title
Managing Director, Wharton Coalition for Equity and Opportunity (CEO)Job Profile Title
Director EJob Description Summary
The Managing Director of Wharton CEO is responsible for working with the Senior Advisor to the Dean to communicate the overall mission and strategic priorities of Wharton CEO.Job Description
The Wharton Coalition for Equity and Opportunity (CEO) advances racial and broad based equity in society by affecting positive change through research-based solutions and educational opportunities. Wharton CEO delivers impactful research learnings to corporations, media, policymakers, students and individuals to institute positive change and create equity and opportunity in business relationships.
The Managing Director of Wharton CEO is responsible for working with the Senior Advisor to the Dean to communicate the overall mission and strategic priorities of Wharton CEO. In addition, the Managing Director will implement and provide administrative support to new equity and opportunity-focused programs and initiatives for The Wharton School.
The Managing Director of Wharton CEO will:
• Work with the Senior Advisor to the Dean to establish and communicate the overall strategic mission of Wharton CEO and help build CEO's position as a global thought leader on equity and opportunity.
• Build relationships and partnerships with other departments and faculty within Wharton and Penn to help meet the strategic goals of CEO. Provide strategic direction for all CEO programs and build the infrastructure of all staff, systems, processes and programs.
• Engage Wharton faculty, research centers, and departments on cross-collaboration efforts to amplify current programming and create and implement new work in equity and opportunity for diverse audiences including students, alumni, industry practitioners, researchers, and the general public.
• Form partnerships with external organizations to help meet the mission of Wharton CEO. Lead Wharton CEO student and industry events and programming and assist in the creation of educational content.
• Support the Senior Advisor to the Dean in cultivating donations to support Wharton CEO, including working with faculty and Wharton External Affairs to identify prospective donors and giving opportunities with individuals, corporations, and foundations.
• Serve as a liaison to Wharton External Affairs in cultivating stewardship opportunities for donors, assisting in the completion of gift/grant proposals and agreements, and execution of stewardship reporting.
• Work with Wharton MarComm to establish and execute the strategic marketing and communication priorities Wharton CEO. The Managing Director will assist in executing a plan for content development and distribution targeted at students, alumni, business professionals, prospective donors and the academic community.
• Supervise all Wharton CEO staff, including 1-3 future positions as Wharton CEO grows with additional programming and financial support.
• Execute all HR-related duties for the department including hiring, training, supervision, and evaluation of staff.
• Work with Wharton Finance and Administration to assist in financial and HR tasks of Wharton CEO.
• Serve as a liaison between the Senior Advisor to the Dean and Wharton F&A to navigate University policy and procedures and provide faculty leadership with reports on the financial status of programs and initiatives.
A master's degree and 7-10 years of experience or equivalent experience is required. Demonstrated leadership in and commitment to promoting and addressing issues of equity and opportunity and community engagement. Broad understanding of diversity, knowledge of the research and scholarship in this space as well as emerging trends and practices. The ideal candidate will have experience building relationships with various university departments, internal and external constituents, and managing university-based programs. The candidate must demonstrate an ability to be an ambassador for Wharton CEO by managing high-level relationships with donors, faculty, university staff, and industry professionals. Demonstrated project management, management of teams, and the ability to exercise independent judgment and discretion is required.
Office, library, computer room
Typically sitting at a desk or tableJob Location - City, State
Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaDepartment / School
Wharton SchoolPay Range
$110,850.00 - $174,270.66
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family’s health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn’s Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family—whatever your personal needs may be.
Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you’re newly hired, you won’t have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That’s why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University’s libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There’s always something going on at Penn, whether it’s a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you’re right in the middle of the excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay