Visiting Instructor of Political Science- Search #12142
College of Behavioral and Social Sciences/Department of Political Science and International Studies
The Department of Political Science and International Studies in the College of Behavioral and Social Sciences at Georgia Southern University has an opening for a visiting instructor position of Political Science for the 2022-2023 Academic Year.
Founded in 1906, Georgia Southern University is a Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution with a focus on public-impact research, serving about 27,000 students on three beautiful campuses in Statesboro, Savannah, and Hinesville, and via a growing online program. Through our degree offerings at the associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels, Georgia Southern offers a distinctive combination of community collaboration, world-class scholarship, innovative teaching, and hands-on learning opportunities.
To equitably serve a fast growing and highly diverse student body and to fulfill the University's commitment to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion, we actively seek candidates with a demonstrated commitment to Inclusive Excellence. Candidates whose work furthers the institution's goals and who bring to campus varied life experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
Within this setting, the Department of Political Science and International Studies' mission is to equip students with the knowledge and skills necessary to be productive, politically literate, and engaged citizens in their communities, their nation, and the world. Integrating diverse and high-quality faculty research with excellence in the classroom, our programs promote intellectual, personal, and professional student development and cultivate research, communication, and analytical skills that are in high professional demand. Students are encouraged to bring fresh perspectives and critical thinking to the classroom that will help them become politically active. Our faculty are engaged in impactful service within the University, the profession, and the community. The Department values diversity in all its forms, recognizing that democratic virtues such as engagement, tolerance, and empathy are enhanced by the inclusion of multiple voices. This position will contribute significantly to the Department's commitment to American Government, which is a Core Curriculum course and a gateway to student success.Position Description:
Reporting to the department chair, the visiting instructor of Political Science will teach a 5-5 course load. This is an academic year appointment for the months of August 2022-May 2023. All visiting positions are non-tenure track appointments, with the possibility of reappointment based on funding availability and satisfactory performance for up to two years. The second year is a terminal year, without exception. The salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.Required Qualifications:
• MA in Political Science with at least 18 hours of graduate credit in American Politics.
• Evidence of college/university teaching excellence
• Effective communication skills
• Ability to teach online courses
• Willingness to engage with institutional student success initiatives.
• Commitment to engaging with best practice initiatives in instruction and pedagogy, mentoring, and curriculum design and development.Preferred Qualifications:
• Earned Ph.D. or ABD in Political Science
• Ability to teach courses in behavioral politicsConditions of Employment:
* Must be authorized to work in the United States for the duration of employment without assistance from the institution.
* All work (with limited exceptions such as research and study abroad and outside activities such as grading and email correspondence) for Georgia Southern University must be completed while the employee is physically present in the state of Georgia, unless specifically authorized by the university for a specific purpose and limited period of time within current policy.
* Faculty are expected to contribute to the vibrant university community by engaging students, participating in events, and performing other responsibilities on-campus.
* Faculty may be required to teach, conduct research, or perform service duties on any of the three campuses. Georgia Southern provides accessible transportation options between campuses.
Screening of applications begins July 11, 2022 and continues until the position is filled. The preferred position starting date is August 1, 2022. A complete application consists of a letter addressing the qualifications cited above; a curriculum vitae; and the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses of at least three professional references. Other documentation may be requested. Only complete applications submitted electronically will be considered. Finalists will be required to submit to a background investigation. Applications and nominations should be sent to:
Dr. Brett Curry, Search Chair, Search #12142
Georgia Southern University
Electronic mail: [email protected]
More information about the institution is available through http://www.georgiasouthern.edu
or the College of Behavioral and Social Sciences (https://cbss.georgiasouthern.edu/
) and the Department of Political Science and International Studies (https://cbss.georgiasouthern.edu/points/
). The names of applicants and nominees, vitae, and other non-evaluative information may be subject to public inspection under the Georgia Open Records Act. Georgia Southern University provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources at 912-478-6947.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency