: Office of Entrepreneurship and Innovation PartnershipsLocations:
: Binghamton, NYPosted:
: Jun 16, 2022Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: Full-timeRef. No.:
: 00032Position ID:
About Binghamton University:
Binghamton University is a world-class institution that unites more than 130 broadly interdisciplinary educational programs with some of the most vibrant research in the nation. Our unique character - shaped by outstanding academics, facilities and community life - promotes extraordinary student success.
Binghamton merges rigorous academics, distinguished faculty and state-of-the-art facilities to engage and challenge its 18,000 students. The high-achieving Binghamton student body also represents a great diversity of life experiences, from first-generation college-goers to international students. Beyond their talent, these classmates share a desire to shape the future through technology, insight, intellectual exploration and community service.
Budget Title: Staff Associate (SL-4)
Salary: $70,000 - $90,000
The Commercialization Manager is a key member of EIP's technology transfer unit and manages engineering and software intellectual property assets from intake and assessment through patenting, marketing, and licensing. The role includes mentoring university spinout companies commercializing technologies as part of the Binghamton Incubator Program.
- Work with the research community to scope and assess technology transfer opportunities; engage professors and students in identifying and submitting invention disclosures
- Evaluate technical, market and patent potential of inventions and creative works; coordinate prior art searches and assist RF SUNY and outside counsel and inventors with patent filings
- Develop strategies to commercialize University assets through licensing or spinout pathways
- Assist faculty and grad students in launching spinouts, including through grants such as SBIR/STTR and seed investments and entrepreneurship training, as part of the Binghamton Incubator Program
- Prepare marketing materials and undertake campaigns to present inventions, software, and creative works to potential company commercialization partners
- Draft and negotiate agreements, e.g., options and licenses, and nondisclosure, material transfer, and inter-institutional agreements, including in service to faculty and organized research centers and engineering outreach programs, and review IP-related clauses in industry research and testing contracts
- Manage caseload with docketing database (Minuet by Inteum)
- Make reports of invention to government and industry sponsors of research
- Monitor license agreements for compliance
- Contribute to EIP funding proposals and execution of grants awarded
- Bachelor's degree in physical sciences or engineering
- Proficient with MS Office Suite
- Master's degree or doctorate in physical sciences or engineering, an MBA, or a JD
- Two (2) years of professional work experience, preferably in a technology transfer role at a university or in industry with training in intellectual property law and contracting mechanisms
- Having been part of a startup and being networked in the New York entrepreneurial ecosystem are pluses
- The ideal candidate is organized, a team player who can also work autonomously, an excellent communicator, is self-motivated, inquisitive, and adept at research and analysis, has an aptitude for marketing, and is capable of managing multiple tasks simultaneously in a deadline-driven environment.
Offers of employment may be contingent upon successful completion of a pre-employment background check and verification of degree(s) and credentials.
Binghamton University is a tobacco-free campus.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [email protected]
Payroll information can be found on our website https://www.binghamton.edu/offices/human-resources/payroll/
Cover letters may be addressed "To the Search Committee."
Postings active on the website, accept applications until closure.
For information on the Dual Career Program, please visit:
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Binghamton University is an equal opportunity employer which bases its employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex, age, physical, mental or sensory disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service or any other status protected by the laws of the State of New York. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.
As required by Title IX and its implementing regulations Binghamton University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in the educational programs and activities which it operates. This requirement extends to employment and admission. Inquiries about sex discrimination may be directed to the University Title IX Coordinator or directly to the Office of Civil Rights (OCR). Contact information for the Title IX Coordinator and OCR, as well as the University's complete Non-Discrimination Notice may be found here.
Deadline for Internal Applicants:
Deadline for External Applicants: Open until filled
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the vacancy is filled.
Persons interested in this position should apply online.
- Cover letter, and
- Contact information for three professional references
You may add additional files/documents after uploading your resume. After you fill out your contact information, you will be directed to the upload page. Please login to check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents: http://binghamton.interviewexchange.com/login.jsp.