If you currently have a job on campus, please use the internal job board
Position: Visiting Assistant/Associate Professor
Faculty Unit: Art & Letters
Program Communication, Media, and Culture
Closing Date: Review of applications will begin on Sept. 12, 2022
Job Type: Full-time
Job Category: Faculty
· A doctorate in Media Studies/Mass Communication is preferred, specializing in cultural studies highly desirable. Additional expertise in international/global communication a plus.
· We seek candidates that support our mission (https://about.byuh.edu/mission.html) and who are committed to strengthening our students both spiritually and intellectually.
· The individual should be completely committed to helping prepare students to serve in their families, communities, and the Church throughout the world, with a particular emphasis on Oceania and the Asian Rim region. Brigham Young University–Hawaii gives preference to women and men whose background and/or experiences echo the many cultures and geographic regions reflected by the student body.
· As an educational institution affiliated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, BYU–Hawaii prefers to hire qualified members of the Church in good standing as authorized under Title 41 CFS § 60-1.5 (a)(6).
· Teach approximately 18 semester credit hours per year over Winter Semester and Spring Semesters in some (but not all) of the following subject areas:
Introduction to Mass Communication and Society
Communication and Popular Culture
Issues in Global Communication
Media Law and Ethics
· BYU–Hawaii’s primary focus is undergraduate learning and teaching. The individual should be fully committed to student learning (https://clt.byuh.edu/framework-for-learning).
· Rank and salary dependent on qualifications and experience.
· Non-CFS, visiting faculty position with annually renewable contract NOT eligible for Continuing Faculty Status (BYU–H equivalent of “tenure-track”)
· BYU–Hawaii health benefits for full-time employees.
1. Official BYU-Hawaii online application via BYU-H’s HR portal (or link to application).
2. A letter of application and current curriculum vitae.
3. The “Fit Statement” (separate from the application letter): Response to the following question as a separate statement “Why do you consider yourself to be a good fit for BYU-Hawaii?”
4. Two letters of recommendation written specifically for this position. Letter writers must include their names, addresses, and telephone numbers and send their letters via our online portal when prompted. Their contact information will be entered by you when you submit the online application.
5. Official transcript from the institution where last degree was received; electronic or scanned copies (as long as the Registrar’s seal is evident) should be included with other application documents.
6. Optional - A link to a 10-minute (minimum) teaching video posted online.
Starting Date: Winter Semester, 2023
*Incomplete applications will not be considered*
Contact: Office of Associate Academic Vice President - Faculty
55-220 Kulanui Street
Laie, HI 96762
Fax: (808) 675-3329
* More information may be requested as you progress through the recruiting process.