POSITION CODE: 5121DEPARTMENT:
Redlands Campus, Redlands, CA On-SiteAPPOINTMENT:
Staff, 12 months, 40 hours per weekSTARTING SALARY RANGE:
S04NUMBER OF OPENINGS:
Two (2) openingsAVAILABLE:
Six (6) monthsPOSTING DATE:
June 23, 2022APPLICATION DEADLINE:
July 14, 2022, 2:00pm, P.S.T.
Definition of Classification:
The Grounds Maintenance Worker II is responsible for the care and maintenance of the campus lawns and landscape throughout 160 acres of improved grounds. Performs planting, pruning, mowing, trimming, watering, fertilizing, and weeding. Operates small power-operated pavement sweepers, power mowers, small riding mowers, and other gardening power equipment.
Reporting to the Grounds Manager, ensure an aesthetically pleasing, safe, and clean University environment. May drive pick-ups and other automotive equipment in performance of assigned duties and may provide lead work direction to staff.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Performs a wide variety of tasks in the care and maintenance of campus lawns and landscape including campus turf areas by mowing, line trimming and edging.
- Prepares areas, lays sod and sows seed; aerates and irrigates turf to enhance turf growth.
- Picks up litter and garbage to enhance campus appearance.
- Cleans up clogged catch basins and ground drains, gutters, and curbs
- Maintains trees, shrubs, and hedges by planting, pruning, trimming, watering, spraying and weeding.
- Cleans ground cover and shrub plantings.
- Performs minor irrigation repairs.
- Pulls weeds by hand, rakes, leaves, and picks up trash from planter beds.
- Cleans debris from walkways and drives using hand broom or machine blower.
- May repair asphalt driveways and dig trenches using mechanized trenching machine.
- May perform minor non-technical repairs to irrigation system, tools, and equipment; cleans Grounds Shop and equipment.
- Safely operates a variety of equipment used in grounds maintenance such as ride on mowers, tractors, utility vehicles, dump trucks, lifts, and trenchers; operates a variety of power and hand tools such as line trimmers, edgers, blowers, hedge trimmers, and chain saws.
- Reports unsafe conditions observed or encountered while completing assigned work.
- Maintains department confidence and safeguards operations by keeping information confidential; adheres to all safety and University policies and procedures.
- Works occasional required overtime based on the need of the university.
- Contributes to department goals and objectives by accomplishing related duties as needed.
- Performs other duties and special projects as assigned.
Any combination equivalent to, but not limited to, the following:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- One year of experience in the care and maintenance of landscaped areas, general grounds maintenance work or related work.
- A valid California Class C CA drivers’ license with a good driving record is required. A current DMV printout demonstrating a good driving record will be required prior to offer of employment.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of commercial lawn and landscaping maintenance techniques, methods, material, and equipment.
- Ability to safely operate a variety of lawn and landscaping maintenance equipment and tools.
- Safety rules, regulations, and procedure for grounds maintenance.
- Ability to operate and maintain all lawn and landscape maintenance equipment and report any issues.
- Ability to clearly communicate information both verbally and in writing.
- Basic mathematical skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, and detail orientated.
- Ability to work as a team and independently and with minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities.
- Follow appropriate safety rules and regulation.
- Basic knowledge of personal computers and personal computer software and applications.
- Aptitude to learn new and evolving technology.
- Ability to recommend appropriate courses of action within established guidelines.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws and regulations.
- Understand, interpret, explain, and apply applicable federal and state policies and laws.
- Ability to foster strong, positive relationships and align both internal and external resources to achieve university objectives.
- Must be able to competently interact with a culturally and ethnically diverse population of students, faculty, and staff.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
Hours and work schedule may vary according to the needs of the University. Weekend work and after-ours emergency response may be required.
Incumbents regularly stand for long periods of time; speak clearly and distinctly to provide information; see to read fine print and operate computer; hear and understand voices over telephone and in person; use hands and fingers to operate an electronic keyboard or other office machines; walk on a regular basis; travel to various locations; finger dexterity may be required to utilize and operate the specialized tools and equipment; distinguish colors and have depth perception; reach with hands and arms; pushing, pulling lifting and occasional crawling; stoop or kneel or crouch; ascend/descent ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps and/or poles; and lift, carry and/or move objects typically weighing up to 10-25 pounds and on occasion up to 50 pounds. There may be exposure to inclement weather as well as to dirt/dust, chemicals/solvents, and noise with occasional exposure to temperature extremes and vibrations.
TO APPLY: A resume/CV and cover letter are required. In compliance with The Americans with Disabilities Act, if selected for the interview process and accommodations are needed please call (909) 748-8040.
INFORMATION REGARDING COVID-19: New employees are required to submit proof of having received the full course dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine and a booster or submitting an exemption request for medical or religious reasons within sixty (60) days from your date of hire.FOR MORE INFORMATION VISIThttp://www.redlands.edu/human-resources/employment/SUBMISSION OF A RESUME OR APPLICATION INDICATES AGREEMENT THAT THE UNIVERSITY MAY VERIFY ANY AND ALL INFORMATION CONTAINED THEREIN.MEMBERS OF UNDERREPRESENTED GROUPS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER