MOHS Histology Technician
The Department of Dermatology is seeking a Casual/ as needed Histotechnologist
. This position requires significant technical expertise and a high level of responsibility in handling delicate specimens. Must demonstrate competency in all job-related tasks, including technical expertise in tissue processing, organization in storage of slides and efficiency in ordering and restocking supplies or reagents. Provide support in ongoing expansion and quality improvement process a must.Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Process tissue in the Mohs Dermatologic Surgery/Dermatopathology units.
- May involve occasional travel to other Dermatology clinic sites to provide histotechnician coverage and support for Mohs surgeons.
- Prepare equipment for use in frozen and fixed specimens (setting up water bath, stainer, Coverslipper and other instruments).
- Embed tissue and cut frozen/paraffin blocks.
- Gross fresh tissue specimens.
- Prepare slides (staining slides, reviewing stain for adequacy, labeling and distributing slides).
- Recut blocks as requested by the Mohs surgeon/ Dermpath attending.
- Clean embedding center and stainer in compliance with credentialing policies.
- Pull slides/blocks from storage, as requested; change frozen section stains (preparing reagent, preparing special stains).
- Train and orientate new staff in the laboratory.
- Monitor Divisional staff mandatory health and safety training and ensure their attendance at training sessions and ensure continuing staff compliance.
- Ensure all lab staff understand the yearly National Patient Safety Goals, especially the Laboratory Services National Patient Safety Goals.
- Participate in quality assurance activities.
- Maintain documentation for QA and report QA problems to supervising physician.
- Participate in facility-wide continuous quality improvement activities, safety and disaster activities and other QA activities.
- Attend continuing education and mandatory training sessions.
- Perform miscellaneous related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Biology, Chemistry, Histology or related field.
- 1 year laboratory experience in histology.
- Associate's Degree from an accredited Histotechnology certification program may be acceptable with 3 years of histology laboratory experience.
* Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date. Preferred Qualifications:
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Experience working in a Mohs surgical unit.
- HT (ASCP) certification.
- Experience with laboratory tools and equipment.
- Experience working as a Histotech
Equipment, Machine, or Tool Requirements:
- Work produced is subject to precise measure of quantity and quality.
- Attention to detail is critical to the successful performance of this job as it directly affects patient diagnoses or research outcomes.
- Knowledge of normal human tissue morphology is essential.
- Able to perform paraffin as well as frozen sectioning, H&E staining, and to recognize discrepancies and take corrective action.
- Computer, Copier, Fax, Telephone. Laboratory tools and equipment including but not limited to scales, balances, ph meters, microtomes, cryostats, various tissue processors, automated strainers and cover slippers.
Classified Title: Histotechnologist
Starting Salary Range: $21.64 - $29.78/hr (commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Casual / On Call
Schedule: M-F, hours vary
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: JH at Greenspring Station "Clinical"
Department name: SOM Der Cosmetic Center
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at [email protected]
. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/
and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/
.The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled. EEO is the Law
To apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Lutherville-Histotechnologist-MD-21093/886534300/
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency