Dean of Theater, New World School of the Arts Location:
New World School of the Arts Regular/Temporary:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
ADMIN - Professional Exempt Contractual (PEC)
$85,989 - Flat Rate
September 19, 2022
Exempt - Not Eligible for Overtime Compensation
First Review Date
July 05, 2022
The Dean of Theater is the chief academic and artistic officer for the Theater Division of New World School of the Arts, overseeing the administration of high school and college programs in Theater and is an integral member of the College and Campus management teams. This is a Professional Exempt Contractual (PEC) position for which an annual contract reflecting the base salary within the fiscal year (July 1st to June 30th) will be issued after ratification by Miami Dade College’s District Board of Trustees.
Duties & Responsibilities
Develops and administers performance-based theater curricula in order to prepare students for professionaltheater/acting careersPlans and administers the instructional program in Theater from high school grade 9 to the bachelor’s degreeOversees the recruitment, auditioning, and retention of students for college and high schoolOrganizes and leads semester-end juries for high school students and lower and upper-division collegestudentsCreates and administers comprehensive performance schedule for high school and four-year college, serving as artistic director and coordinator of performance seasonParticipates in the planning and review of the Theater budget, approves purchasing requests, and plans general and capital spending for Theater division needsManages Theater budget for part-time faculty and staff and monitors enrollment and productivityHires, supervises, and evaluates personnel assigned to the divisionServes on the provost’s administrative council and manages all divisional activities including articulation with all other units of the schoolsAttends and reports activities at the NWSA Executive Board meetingsEnsures compliance with academic requirements of partner institutions and standards of national accreditation agenciesWorks with other members of the administration on issues relating to facility development, articulation with community arts organizations, program, and financial development activities, and promotional and print material developmentAssists in developing and facilitating fund-raising activities on behalf of the Theater division and NWSA incooperation with NWSA development personnel and the ProvostServes as artistic director of Rising Stars and other school-wide performances and eventsWorks closely with Miami Dade College, Miami-Dade County Public School, and University of Florida onall matters that will provide an optimal learning experience
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Master of Fine Arts Degree in Theater and five years of administrative/management experience and/or an established reputation as a scholar of theater pedagogy or scholar of visual arts pedagogy.
education or equivalent experience and/or an established reputation
- All degrees must be from a regionally accredited institutionKnowledge of college educational philosophy and top management administrative practices and procedures; college curricula and instructional programsKnowledge and skill in communicating effectively utilizing public relations principles and practicesKnowledge of college policies and procedures
- Knowledge of technological systems as they apply to instructional, administrative and workplace needsStrategic planning skills to effect change in a multi-cultural environmentSkill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedure, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and proceduresSkill in performance management and employee developmentExcellent organizational and communication skills (both verbal and written)Strong leadership skills that promote dedication, creativity, innovation and growthAbility to develop and interpret financial data/plans and manage resourcesAbility to think, reason, and make sound judgments on how responsibilities are completed in compliance with college standards and guidelinesAbility to effectively present information to groups of managers, clients, customers and the publicAbility to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-ethnic/multi-cultural environment with students, faculty and staff
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to include evening and weekend assignment
- Prefer Master's in Fine Arts degree (MFA)
- Theater experience
The final candidate is to successfully complete a background screening and reference check process.