Assistant or Associate Teaching Professor in Modern Languages & English for Academic Purposes Location:
St. Louis Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
Language & Cultural Studies, College of Arts & Sciences
We are currently seeking a full-time non-tenure track (teaching) position as an Assistant or Associate Teaching Professor in Modern Languages and English for Academic Purposes (EAP), effective 8/15/2022. The initial appointment will be for nine months, with the possibility of ongoing renewal and the opportunity for advancement on the non-tenure track. The primary purpose of this position is to teach courses in EAP as well as language and culture-focused courses in English such as Languages and World Views, Languages and Identities, and Foreign Language Careers for the Global Market.
The qualified candidate will:
- typically teach a 24 credit hour load per academic year (excluding summers).
- Teach courses in all formats (in-person, blended/hybrid, and online) and at all levels
- Use Canvas LMS to develop syllabi and assignments and manage gradebooks
- Administer EAP placement tests and advise students in EAP courses
- Participate in departmental and university-wide service activities
- Maintain a regular schedule of open office hours and hours by appointment
The qualified candidate will have:
- Master's degree in Applied Linguistics, TESOL, TESL, or a closely - related field
- Native or near-native proficiency in English. Proficiency in a second language preferred
- Four to nine years of successful university-level or comparable experience in the field depending on rank
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching in all formats, including blended and online
- Familiarity with current language pedagogies as well as experience in innovative course curricula are highly desirable
- Ongoing involvement in teaching-related professional activities preferred
Physical Demands & work Environment
- Standing and sitting for teaching, class preparation, and meetings; speaking listening, and interacting with students; occasional travel for faculty development
- You will be provided with an office, desktop computer, internet access, campus mail and access to a printer
Cognitive Demands of the Position
- Must have the ability to assimilate information, reason well, and to conduct classes in such a way that students are engaged as measured on the student evaluations
- Must be able to communicate effectively, efficiently, and sensitively with students, peers, staff and other members of the University community
- Must be able to demonstrate English communication skills
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. You should provide a letter of application, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching philosophy, and three confidential letters of professional reference. You are also encouraged to include a diversity or inclusive excellence statement. Please visit the website http://www.umsl.jobs to apply. If you have questions regarding this position, please contact Sandra Trapani at [email protected]
The Department of Language and Cultural Studies further advances the university’s mission through our dedication to helping students from all backgrounds develop the linguistic and cultural competence expected of informed global citizens. We work within our disciplines, across departments, and with the local community to give students a chance to apply their language and culture skills in a variety of professional, social, and creative settings.
:As one of the most culturally and ethnically diverse campuses in Missouri, UMSL is committed to maintaining a climate where all students, faculty, staff and visitors can explore their interests, refine their talents and flourish. Inclusive excellence is embedded in our strategic plan which focuses on actions to recruit and retain diverse students and employees and promote activities that encourage civil and constructive discourse, reasoned thought and sustained dialogue in an environment of inclusion, respect and appreciation.
The University of Missouri - St. Louis offers benefit-eligible employees a wide variety of benefits including: health, dental and vision coverage effective on the first day of employment, retirement, paid time off, tuition assistance for employees and their dependents and employee and dependent life insurance. For more information about our benefits, please visit:
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links: