Hofstra University is a nationally ranked and recognized private university in Hempstead, N.Y. that is the only school to ever host three consecutive presidential debates (2008, 2012 and 2016). At Hofstra, students get the best of both worlds. Our campus is a leafy oasis just a quick train ride away from New York City and all its cultural, recreational and professional opportunities. We offer small classes and personal attention, with the resources, technology and facilities of a large university. Students can choose from more than 160 undergraduate program options and 165 graduate program options in the liberal arts and sciences, education, health professions and human services, the Peter S. Kalikow School of Government, Public Policy and International Affairs, the Fred DeMatteis School of Engineering and Applied Science, the Frank G. Zarb School of Business, the Lawrence Herbert School of Communication, the Maurice A. Deane School of Law, the Hofstra Northwell School of Nursing and Physician Assistant Studies, and the Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell. Hofstra University is a dynamic community of more than 11,000 students from around the world who are dedicated to civic engagement, academic excellence and becoming leaders in their communities and their careers. Hofstra University is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering diversity in its faculty, administrative staff and student body. We especially encourage women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, veterans and people with disabilities to apply.
Reporting to the Assistant Director, Student Affairs at the Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Northwell/Hofstra, the Administrative Assistant provides administrative support and coordination for the Office of Student Affairs. This position is essential to ensuring that various core operations within the Office of Student Affairs are maintained and effectively delivered for the betterment of our students and the School of Medicine.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Serves as the first line of administrative support between members of the student body, members of the staff and faculty and members of the Office of Student Affairs.
• Supports the Associate Dean of Student Affairs with communication between administration and the student body and escalates concerns as needed.
• Manages ongoing projects, such as student body class attendance, assisting the Coordinator of Student Affairs with tasks related to fiscal management and assisting the Coordinator of Student Leadership & Engagement with logistics related to student events.
• Supports the Office of Student Affairs with annual projects such as uniform orders for white coats and EMTs, purchase orders, updating student listservs, and managing ZSOM individual locker assignments and Club Locker Room assignments.
• Assists with the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) and student disability insurance, as needed.
• Collaborates with Employee Health Services and the Office of Student Records to secure items needed for health compliance, particularly for incoming students and intermittently for other members of the student body.
• Collaborates with other team members and all departments across the medical school, Hofstra University and Northwell Health to assist with coordination of major events on and off campus including: Orientation, White Coat Ceremony, Match Day and Graduation.
• Utilizes independent judgement in the planning and prioritization of a diversified workload.
• Assists with other administrative tasks, as needed.
• Bachelor’s Degree and at least three years of progressive experience providing administrative support in a fast-paced, intellectually challenging environment.
• Superior organizational, verbal and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated customer service experience.
• Ability and willingness to use discretion in regular communications with students, faculty, physicians and administration at Hofstra University, the School of Medicine, and the Northwell Health System.
• Demonstrated commitment to creating an equitable and inclusive environment for all learners.
• Experience working with and serving people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds.
• Ability to maintain efficiency and accuracy while demonstrating exceptional collaborative skills.
• Advanced ability to use current software, including Microsoft Office products, Google Docs and virtual meetings.
For consideration, please send a cover letter with salary requirement and resume to: [email protected] Please indicate “Administrative Assistant” in the subject line.