: Adjunct FacultySubscribe:
: Division of STEM and Health CareersLocations:
: Des Plaines and Skokie, ILPosted:
: Jun 15, 2022Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: Part Time FacultyRef. No.:
: PTMLT-22Position ID:
About Oakton Community College :
Oakton Community College, a caring community of educators dedicated to excellence in teaching and learning, seeks Medical Laboratory Technology faculty to join our College. Applicants must be strong communicators and effective classroom facilitators who enjoy teaching in a student-centered environment.
Candidates with a commitment to working in a culturally competent environment are especially valued at Oakton.
We encourage applications from candidates who reflect the increasing diversity of Oakton's student body and community, who will enhance and promote engagement with other cultures, and have a demonstrated commitment to working with and as part of a multicultural faculty and diverse student body and community.
Located seventeen miles from downtown Chicago, Oakton serves northern Cook County with campuses in Des Plaines and Skokie, Illinois.
Oakton is seeking qualified Medical Laboratory Technology faculty:
MLT 105 Introduction to Health Care Issues
MLT 106 Basic Skills in Medical Lab Tech
MLT 107 Phlebotomy
MLT 111 Hematology
MLT 112 Urinalysis
MLT 220 Clinical Practicum I
MLT 221 Clinical Practicum II
MLT 225 Medical Microbiology
Part-time faculty are paid on a lecture hour equivalents (LHE) basis. For most courses, the LHE is the same as a credit hour. For others, the LHE represents additional work for teaching the class, such as grading papers for Composition classes or teaching a class with a laboratory section (computers, languages, and the sciences); in those cases, the LHE represents a figure higher than the credit hour. All part-time faculty start at the beginning pay rates, regardless of the level and type of experience obtained elsewhere. Those rates for the 2020-21 academic year are $1155/LHE for faculty without doctorates and $1237/LHE for faculty with doctorates. The salary will change due to Faculty contract negotiations being completed.
Part-time faculty advance one step within the salary schedule with the successful completion of 2 fall & spring semesters where 3+ LHEs are taught in each semester.
Essential Functions of the Position:
- Construction of a course syllabus, consistent with the generic course syllabus that stipulates course objectives, content, and grading criteria.
- Preparation of course presentations and instructional materials for lecture, and laboratory and clinical functions (as appropriate).
- Delivery of instruction, including being prepared for and meeting courses and laboratories (if appropriate) at scheduled times.
- Consultation with and evaluation of students.
- Maintenance of clear records on student performance, as well as any other factors such as attendance involved with the grading of students.
- Compliance with departmental and institutional policies and procedures including but not limited to submission of midterm and final grades, keeping office hours, and decisions regarding instructional matters such as texts, assignments, and grading standards; also adhering to provisions of the OCCFA contract.
- Compliance with institutional procedures.
Bachelor's degree in MT(MLS), biology or chemistry Certification as an MT ASCP or MLS ASCP Minimum of 2000 hours of clinical laboratory experience
- MLS (ASCP) or MT (ASCP)
- Three years technical clinical laboratory experience
- Three years teaching experience, college preferred
- Knowledge of NAACLS accreditation process
- Experience in clinical training or supervising of MLT students
- Master's degree or Doctorate in MT, biology, chemistry, related field or Master's of Education
Part-time faculty are hired on a semester-by-semester basis. A reasonable effort is made to assure the assignment of courses to more senior part-time faculty who are fully qualified by virtue of their education, training, work experience as related to current technology and pedagogical techniques, and who have had a history of successful performance at Oakton Community College.
All assignments are conditioned on sufficient enrollment. Once a course starts, the part time faculty member is expected to complete the course.
Please contact Matthew Robitaille at [email protected] if you have any questions or experience problems in submitting your application.
Oakton is accessible by public transportation.
Oakton Community College requires all employees to adhere to a Vaccination /Testing Mandate
Required documents for a complete application file include a completed applicant questionnaire, cover letter, resume/cv, official transcripts for the hiring credential, and 2 original, signed recommendation letters or college placement/credential file.
Interested applicants must submit their application, cover letter and resume/cv on the Oakton website. Please indicate the position code (PTMLT-22) on the cover letter.
Recommendation letters may either be submitted with original signature or e-mailed directly from the reference to [email protected]
Transcripts may either be submitted on official paper or as pdf copies of official transcripts e-mailed directly from the Registrar's Office to [email protected]
Transcripts and recommendation letters are required prior to appointment.
Official transcripts and original letters of recommendation or college placement/credential file should be mailed to: Faculty Search PTMLT-22, c/o Department of Human Resources, Oakton Community College, 1600 E. Golf Rd., Des Plaines, IL 60016.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required