Landscape Technician Tracking Code892 - 280Job Description
Under the direct supervision of the Grounds Supervisor, performs skilled grounds maintenance using a variety of power equipment. Calibrates equipment, manicure, and weed and trim various species of native plants. Manages tress and trims as required. Maintains walks and drives as required. Installs new landscape material, as needed. Adjusts and replaces irrigation heads, maintains irrigation controls and low voltage light fixtures.
Essential Functions and Principle Responsibilities:
- Operates power mowers, tractors, light trucks, edgers, clippers and other handheld power tools used in the grounds maintenance industry
- Inspects and maintains equipment and machines following a preventative maintenance program
- Lays sod; waters grounds; rakes; picks up paper and other debris from assigned areas, installs landscaping and repairs roads
- Assists in the set-up of various events held on the premises
- Assists in recommending, coordinating and/or implementing as directed, short and long term plans and programs for an integrated landscape management
- Installs new landscapes and materials as specified by Landscape Architect
- Maintains privacy and decorative fence, provides paint touch-up as needed to both fence and facilities
- Conducts periodic inspections of premises and grounds to assure appropriate measures are taken to prevent occurrence/reoccurrence of problems associated with an integrated pest management and landscape programs
- Support on the job training of newly hired staff members
- Maintains an effective working relationship, both inter and intra-departmentally
- Responds to building and grounds complaints, remedies problems and keeps constituents informed in a timely manner
- Effectively plans and performs in a multi-task environment and meets self or pre-imposed objectives and deadlines. Exercise the use of independent judgement
Minimum Education: HS Dilopma/ GED
- Effective oral and writing skills.
- Knowledge of tools and equipment used in the turf maintenance industry.
- Knowledge of occupational safety rules and practices.
- Skills in the operation of light trucks, tractors and mowing equipment.
- Knowledge of mathematics sufficient to calculate quantities and determine appropriate ratios and mixtures.
- Ability to work independently and maintain accurate data logs, records and information sheets as may be required.
- Ability to effectively interact and communicate with others.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Ability to perform strenuous physical work in adverse environmental conditions
- High school diploma or GED preferred, reading and writing ability at tenth-grade level required
- Supplemented by one (1) year of experience in landscaping
Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and an acceptable driving record as determined by the University’s auto insurance carrier.
Salary Grade: 2
Completed COVID-19 Vaccine status required
Job LocationDeLand, Florida, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular