Position Type: Staff Full-time
Hours per week: 37.5
Weeks per year: 52
Work Schedule: 8:30am - 5:00pm
Department Summary & Job Purpose:
The Assistant Director for Student Financial Services (SFS) serves in a financial aid role and is responsible for providing support for the strategic goals of Mount Holyoke College and specifically the Office of Student Financial Services. Reporting to the Senior Associate Director of Student Financial Services, the Assistant Director joins a dynamic SFS team responsible for managing financial aid, billing, educational financing information and other related services to prospective and enrolled Mount Holyoke College students. This positions require strong interpersonal skills to support the College’s efforts in support of student success while working in a team environment.
Core Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide advice and counsel to students and families on all aspects of financial aid policy and process in an effort to ensure all aided students have a meaningful MHC educational experience
- Manage assigned caseload of students from their initial application through final awarding. The review process includes verification of all family data, resolving conflicting applicant information, adherence to federal and institutional policies in establishing a families’ share of educational costs, reviewing financial aid appeals and exercising professional judgment based on standard College policies
- Support and contribute to enhancing the high value the office places on quality customer service, community engagement and relationship building
- Manage and administer one or more financial aid/SFS programs as assigned by the senior management. Program assignments are subject to change and may include regulatory compliance, operations, service and outreach, staff training and development
- Engage in continuous professional development to maintain current knowledge of financial aid policies and procedures and loan servicing regulations, including industry best practices. Facilitate professional development programming for direct reports to encourage their continuous development and experience
- Participate in community workgroups and cross-divisional initiatives
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 2 years of professional financial aid experience, including student counseling and financial aid file review
- Expertise in state, federal and institutional financial aid programs and compliance
- Ability to handle deadline and programmatic pressures in a fast paced student-centric environment
- Understanding of institutional and federal methodologies
- Strong analytical skills
- Commitment to quality customer service for all students and their families
- Ability to work independently
- Proven team player
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to handle confidential information and/or issues using discretion and good judgment
- Evening/ weekend work and business travel may be required
- Demonstrated ability to support a community of diverse perspectives and cultures in an inclusive environment.
- PowerFAIDS experience strongly preferred
- Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
- Grasping: Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm.
- Talking: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly.
- Sufficient clarity of speech required includes those which permit the employee to discern verbal instructions and communicate effectively in person and by telephone.
- Employee speaks with students and other faculty daily by telephone, e-mail, or in person on a daily basis.
- Hearing: Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction.
- Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, and to make the discriminations in sound.
- Participation supporting divisional or institutional events or programs that may include occasional evening or weekend work required.
- Infrequent business travel may be required.
Mount Holyoke College is committed to providing a safe and secure environment, supported by qualified employees that will allow all of its students, faculty, staff and those associated with them to successfully carry out the mission of the college. As a condition of employment, the College will conduct appropriate background checks for all new hires. Mount Holyoke has designated the Office of Human Resources as the office responsible for ensuring that background checks (CORI, SORI, Credit History, & Driver Credential) are completed and utilized in the hiring process and Five College Office of Compliance and Risk Management as the office responsible for facilitating background checks as articulated in this policy.
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Apply online by application deadline. Application materials must include A cover letter summarizing interests and qualifications A complete resume or curriculum vitae Contact information for 3 professional references
Mount Holyoke College is a women’s college that is gender diverse. The College is committed to providing equal access and opportunity in employment and education to all employees and students. In compliance with state and federal law, Mount Holyoke College does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, genetic information, sex, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, ancestry, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected status under federal, state or local law. The College does not discriminate on the basis of gender in the recruitment and admission of students to its graduate program.
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.