Position Type: Staff Full-time
Hours per week: 37.5
Weeks per year: 44
Work Schedule: 9-5 with occasional evenings and weekends
Department Summary & Job Purpose:
Full-time Technical Director/ Master Electrician for the Department of Film Media Theater
Mount Holyoke College seeks a full time Technical Director/ Master Electrician for Rooke Theatre, a 200-seat proscenium arch theater and a small black box theatre. The successful candidate will also teach the “Introduction to Technical Theater'' course. Successful candidates must demonstrate strong organizational and communication skills, a sound knowledge of technical theater practice, thorough knowledge of Vectorworks, a variety of construction techniques, rigging, and a strong commitment to safety. They will also supervise all electrical aspects of the theatre. Applicants must possess an MFA and/or significant professional experience in Technical Theatre or Technical Direction and have a demonstrable ability to work with students and be a collaborator among colleagues. This is a full time position that requires candidates to be present in Rooke 9am-5pm Monday through Friday and requires some late night and weekend availability during productions.
Core Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsibilities: Day-to-day supervision of the Rooke Theatre scene shop and maintenance of shop equipment
- Provide oversight and ensure that Rooke Theater is in good condition and compliant with all safety codes and regulations
- Work with department coordinator to interface with Physical Plant/Facilities regarding custodial and other building requests
- Build the sets, oversee the scenic painting and ensure that set construction and every technical aspect of productions is completed in a safe and timely manner
- Organize and direct light hang and focus for and all productions
- Rent, install, and return additional equipment needed for productions
- Liaise with directors, stage managers and designers about technical needs.
- Attend all technical rehearsals, performances, strikes, and work calls
- Ensure all production schedule deadlines are met
- Teach one course per year in technical theatre
- Attend and participate in meetings throughout the academic year including department and production meetings
- Provide training and supervision to backstage student crews for all theater productions
- Work with faculty and staff to maintain the highest level of production values and professional practices
- Develop, enforce and maintain operational policy, including health and safety standards
- Organize and maintain inventory of lighting instruments, projectors, microphones and other electrical equipment
- Provide technical support for guest artists, masterclasses, and faculty presentations
- Assist and acclimate guest and student designers as needed
Qualifications: Applicants must have thorough knowledge of Vectorworks, a variety of construction techniques, rigging, and a strong commitment to safety.
Applicants must possess an MFA and/or significant professional experience in Technical Theatre or Technical Direction and have a demonstrable ability to work with students and be a collaborator among colleagues
Physical Demands: Requires ability to handle heavy equipment for transporting and hanging lights and other props. Ability to handle tools utilized in building of theater sets and to train and supervise students in all aspects of safety related to the position.
Working Conditions: Requires ability to work at a fast pace with production teams and to oversee safety procedures and protocols
Mount Holyoke College is committed to providing a safe and secure environment, supported by qualified employees that will allow all of its students, faculty, staff and those associated with them to successfully carry out the mission of the college. As a condition of employment, the College will conduct appropriate background checks for all new hires. Mount Holyoke has designated the Office of Human Resources as the office responsible for ensuring that background checks (CORI, SORI, Credit History, & Driver Credential) are completed and utilized in the hiring process and Five College Office of Compliance and Risk Management as the office responsible for facilitating background checks as articulated in this policy.
Special Instructions for Applicants:
Apply online by application deadline. Application materials must include A cover letter summarizing interests and qualifications A complete resume or curriculum vitae Contact information for 3 professional references
Mount Holyoke College is a women’s college that is gender diverse. The College is committed to providing equal access and opportunity in employment and education to all employees and students. In compliance with state and federal law, Mount Holyoke College does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, genetic information, sex, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, ancestry, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected status under federal, state or local law. The College does not discriminate on the basis of gender in the recruitment and admission of students to its graduate program.
Mount Holyoke College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.