: Watson College of Engineering and Applied ScienceLocations:
: Binghamton, NYPosted:
: Jun 16, 2022Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: Full-timeRef. No.:
: 12531Position ID:
About Binghamton University:
Binghamton University is a world-class institution that unites more than 130 broadly interdisciplinary educational programs with some of the most vibrant research in the nation. Our unique character - shaped by outstanding academics, facilities and community life - promotes extraordinary student success.
Binghamton merges rigorous academics, distinguished faculty and state-of-the-art facilities to engage and challenge its 18,000 students. The high-achieving Binghamton student body also represents a great diversity of life experiences, from first-generation college-goers to international students. Beyond their talent, these classmates share a desire to shape the future through technology, insight, intellectual exploration and community service.
Budget Title: Postdoctoral Associate (SL-1)
The Presidential Diversity Early Career Fellowship was established in 2018 to help the university recruit highly-qualified doctoral candidates for research and scholarship in disciplines where diversity is needed. The goal of the Early Career Fellowship program is to support and develop top-tier candidates who may remain at Binghamton University in a tenure track capacity and launch promising careers as independent educators and researchers when their fellowship is completed. Each fellowship appointment is up to two years.
A fellowship appointment will be made in the Thomas J. Watson College of Engineering & Applied Science for the 2022-23 academic year in one of the following departments: Biomedical Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical & Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Systems Science & Industrial Engineering.
About Watson College:
The Thomas J. Watson College of Engineering and Applied Science at Binghamton University is home to roughly 1,000 graduate and 2,000 undergraduate students, over 100 tenured and tenure-track faculty, and 60 staff. On an annual basis, the faculty of the college conduct nearly $20M of sponsored research in high priority areas of national importance including artificial intelligence, data science, robotics and autonomous systems, cybersecurity, high performance computing, advanced communication and wireless technologies, semiconductors and microelectronics, advanced manufacturing, biotechnology, advanced materials, clean energy, energy efficient systems, systems science and engineering, and more.
The Watson College stands committed to fostering a community that reflects our diverse society to ensure that its teaching, research, scholarship and outreach programs include and serve a wide range of individuals. We self-evaluate and self-critique our environment to recognize and mitigate power imbalances, improve our policies and programs and foster a culture of belonging.
We strive for a community in which all backgrounds, contributions and perspectives are valued and respected. In 2021, the American Society for Engineering Education honored Watson College with its Bronze-level award for its commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Fellows are appointed with the title of Postdoctoral Associate and will receive a $75,000 annual salary with a New York State comprehensive benefits package. There will be a research allowance for scholarly expenses and conference travel aimed at disseminating research findings. An allowance for moving expenses will be provided.
The fellows are expected to conduct original research in cutting -edge areas relevant to the department wherein they will be appointed, to publish high quality, peer-reviewed scholarly work as a result of this effort, and to teach or co-teach one or more courses per year as the instructor of record.
Fellows will receive formal mentoring in research and teaching, as well as receive constructive feedback throughout the appointment in an effort to improve their candidacy for a tenure-track appointment.
- We are looking for a highly creative and talented individual with a strong publication record in their area of research and excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Applicants must receive a doctoral degree in a field relevant to the Watson College (including but not limited to the research areas listed above) prior to the appointment and must be no more than three years beyond receiving their Ph D degree.
- The expected, but negotiable, start date for this position is January 2nd, 2023. Earlier start date for qualified applicants will be entertained as well as a later date of Aug 31, 2023.
- Applicants must contribute to campus diversity and creation of a more inclusive campus environment.
- We highly encourage individuals with historically underrepresented identities in engineering and computer science (e.g., racial/ethnic populations including Black/African Americans, American Indians including Native Alaskans, Latinx/Hispanics and Native Pacific Islanders, and women) to apply for this position
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of appointment. Visa sponsorship is not available.
Offers of employment may be contingent upon successful completion of a pre-employment background check and verification of degree(s) and credentials.
Binghamton University is a tobacco-free campus.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [email protected]
Payroll information can be found on our website https://www.binghamton.edu/offices/human-resources/payroll/
Cover letters may be addressed "To the Search Committee."
Postings active on the website, accept applications until closure.
For information on the Dual Career Program, please visit:
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
The State University of New York is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is the policy of Binghamton University to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or arrest and/or criminal conviction record unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
As required by Title IX and its implementing regulations Binghamton University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in the educational programs and activities which it operates. This requirement extends to employment and admission. Inquiries about sex discrimination may be directed to the University Title IX Coordinator or directly to the Office of Civil Rights (OCR). Contact information for the Title IX Coordinator and OCR, as well as the University's complete Non-Discrimination Notice may be found here.
Deadline for Internal Applicants: July 5, 2022
Deadline for External Applicants: Open until filled
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the vacancy is filled.
Persons interested in this position should apply online.
- CV (curriculum vitae)
- Cover letter that describes your research and teaching interests, This letter should identify the Watson College department that aligns with your research and teaching interests, , along with the titles/rubrics of two or three possible courses that you are qualified to teach in that area.
- Letter describing how your appointment would contribute to enhancing the diversity and inclusive environment of the department, Watson College and Binghamton University
- Names and contact information of three references. References will be contacted at a later stage in the screening process and only for candidates that are under serious consideration.
You may add additional files/documents after uploading your resume. After you fill out your contact information, you will be directed to the upload page. Please login to check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents: http://binghamton.interviewexchange.com/login.jsp.