Search #: 496425JOB SUMMARY
Work type: Full-time
Location: Storrs Campus
Categories: Student Programs and Services
The Department of Student Activities (DSA) at the University of Connecticut announces the opening of a full-time Coordinator of Youth Development, Language and Literacy, and Political Engagement Programs (Student Services Program Coordinator). This position plans, coordinates, and executes the Department’s community outreach programs and services including but not limited to those related to youth development and language and literacy initiatives as well as the recruitment, training, and advisement of the student executive board.
We offer a diverse portfolio of educational, social, and recreational programs for the entire campus. The related programs and services reach from the classroom and residence halls to the sidelines and beyond and engage students with unique programs and initiatives defined by their quality, creativity, and effectiveness.
Student Activities staff are a progressive team of individuals, dedicated to the profession, prideful of our University, and committed to excellence.
The Division of Student Affairs and staff in the Department of Student Activities are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion; competence in working with culturally and ethnically diverse populations; and awareness of how issues of difference, power, and privilege manifest in higher education environments. The ideal candidate promotes equity and inclusion by demonstrating and supporting an understanding, sensitivity, and appreciation for social justice, cultural humility, and inclusiveness.
For additional information about the University or Student Activities and Fraternity/Sorority Development, visit our website www.studentactivities.uconn.edu.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to the Associate Director of Student Activities/Director of Community Outreach, this position plans, coordinates, and implements/delivers programs and services in the Community Outreach area which may include, but is not limited to:
- Providing oversight of programmatic aspects and student leaders associated with the youth development & education and language & literacy programs as well as political engagement and dialogues initiatives
- Hiring, training, supervising, and supporting students (undergraduates and graduates)
- Assisting with the training and professional development of student leaders/participants, including pre-service and in-service trainings, workshops and seminars
- Maintaining regular contact with student leaders and community partners to resolve problems and develop responsible decision-making
- Collecting, reviewing, and maintaining all records and reports related to program participants
- Building and managing off-campus program partner relationships and support timely program partner data collection; recruit outside partners as needed and communicate with site partners
- Participating as a Learning Partner in an Alternative Break Program
- Establishing collaborative relationships with University colleagues and external vendors/partners
- Providing on-site supervision of events/programs
- Assisting in the preparation and monitoring of budgets and expenditures
- Providing, supporting, and participating in programs, services, and initiatives focusing on anti-racism, social justice, and the fostering of a campus community that is more diverse, equitable, and inclusive to all
- Identifying, recommending, and implementing improvements related to policies, procedures, and operations
- Assisting in the collection and analysis of program evaluation/assessment data
- Serving on University/Department committees and attending Department staff meetings as required
- Assisting and/or being responsible for assigned special projects, programs, or services.
- Bachelor’s degree AND four years of related experience with service-related programs OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate information effectively.
- Excellent leadership, organizational, and programming skills.
- Experience advising and/or supervising college students.
- Demonstrated knowledge of budgeting and fiscal management.
- Articulated commitment to, demonstrated understanding of, and/or experience working with diverse populations.
- Willingness and ability to work nights and weekends.
- Master’s degree in student affairs, student counseling, or another related field.
- Demonstrated experience with community service programs related to youth development, language and literacy, or political engagement programs.
- Experience managing volunteers.
- Experience and/or ability to build relationships with community and campus partners.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and resolve issues related to coordination and supervision of community services.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated experience integrating principles of diversity and inclusion into all aspects of program management.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment on multiple tasks.
- Experience/ability to conduct program evaluations and assessments.
- Familiarity with relevant state and local policies, procedures, regulations, and laws pertaining to the assignee's student group(s).
This is a full-time, permanent position. The University offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits, including employee and dependent tuition waivers at UConn, and a highly desirable work environment. For additional information about the University or Student Activities and Fraternity/Sorority Development, visit our website www.studentactivities.uconn.edu
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.TO APPLY
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs
, Staff Positions, Search #496425. Please submit 1) a letter of interest
and 2) a resume
that demonstrate how you meet each of the qualifications and requirements of this position, and 3) contact information for three professional references
. Screening will begin immediately.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on July 11, 2022.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Advertised: Jun 16 2022 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Jul 11 2022 Eastern Daylight Time