Assoc AD-Athletic Compliance
About Eastern Washington University:
Eastern Washington University is a regional, comprehensive public university located in Cheney and Spokane, Washington, with programs offered throughout the state and online with an enrollment of over 12,000 students. Eastern is one of six state-funded four-year institutions of higher education in Washington reporting to its own Board of Trustees.
Eastern’s 300-acre main campus is located in Cheney, a community of 11,000 residents 16 miles southwest of the state’s second largest city, Spokane. Eastern also offers programs in downtown Spokane at the Brand new Catalyst building and on the Riverpoint Campus which is shared with Washington State University. Eastern also offers program throughout the state based on the needs of the community. Eastern offers an array of bachelor’s and master’s degrees and one applied doctorate in physical therapy. EWU offers 135 fields of study, 9 master’s degrees, 12 graduate certificates, 39 graduate programs, 1 educational specialist degree, and 1 applied doctorate to more than 10,000 enrolled students.
Tribal Land Acknowledgement
Eastern Washington University resides within the traditional homelands of the Spokane People and other tribes who are connected through their shared history of this region. This land holds their cultural DNA and it is their Ancestors who are here and bring forth the knowledge of this place—the knowledge that comes from the land.
- Eastern Washington University is currently seeking applicants for Associate Athletic Director for Compliance. This position works within the athletic department and reports to the Senior Associate Athletic Director/SWA. This position serves as a member of the Athletic Compliance Council. It is the responsibility of the Associate Athletic Director for Compliance to coordinate, implement, facilitate, and oversee the Athletic Compliance program. This includes the educational, monitoring and investigating components as well as other areas with the program that strengthen and enhance the athletic compliance efforts.
- It is the responsibility of the Associate Athletic Director for Compliance to inform and educate Athletic Department personnel, student-athletes, support staff who are external to the Athletic department, student support groups, boosters, former students and student-athletes and the public regarding NCAA and conference rules and regulations, as well as, monitor all phases of recruiting, financial aid, academic eligibility and other areas requiring specific oversight. In addition, any issues regarding non-compliance with such rules and regulations shall be reviewed, investigated and reported through this position. It is the responsibility of the Associate Athletic Director for Compliance to insure that the total institutional compliance program is engaged, functioning and accountable. In addition to compliance, this position will also provide oversight and leadership in all aspects of student athlete support services and supervise full-time staff.
- On top of salary, the University offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, life and disability insurance and retirement. In addition, EWU offers generous vacation and sick leave accruals, 12 paid holidays per year and fringe benefits, such as tuition waiver for employees, and free transportation through STA buses.
- Please see below under job responsibilities for a complete job description.
- Master’s Degree in higher education, sports management, business administration, law or related field.
- Minimum 3 years of experience with a Division I intercollegiate athletics compliance program.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills with the ability to work with people in a fast paced and potentially hectic environment.
- Must have a thorough understanding of special demands of the athletic environment with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with student-athletes, coaches, athletic department staff, boosters, University administration, faculty and surrounding community.
- Requires excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to compile, prepare, write and review reports, as well as, the capacity to analyze, comprehend and provide appropriate solutions to problems and courses of action.
- Candidate must demonstrate interest, ability and/or experience promoting cultural competency, universal accessibility and/or diversity.
Other Skills and Abilities:
% of Time:
- 1 year of management and supervisory experience.
- Experience working with Compliance Assistant Internet (CAi), Legislative Services Database for the Internet (LSDBi), and experience with Academic Progress Rate database (APR).
100 Responsibility / Duty:
1. NCAA Rules Compliance Education:
Monitors and educates student-athletes, staff, coaches, and community on NCAA Rules such as, but not limited to recruiting, eligibility, awards, enrollment, playing and practices seasons, financial aid, employment, NIL and extra benefits.
Responds to questions and interpretations asked by coaches, athletic department personnel, student-athletes, campus community and the public regarding NCAA and Big Sky conference rules.
Maintains a rules education program for athletic coaching staffs, administration and staff, University constituencies, current student-athletes and parents, and boosters.
Coordinates and/or conducts rules meetings on a regular basis with various members of the coaching staff in preparation for annual NCAA certification exam and work closely with new coaches when they arrive on campus to ensure knowledge of NCAA and Big Sky Conference rules.
2. NCAA Rules Compliance:
Investigate and report NCAA violations to the NCAA and Big Sky Conference. Administer certification of student-athlete academic records for compliance with NCAA progress towards degree standards.
Develop and maintain forms on the Compliance website for coaches to utilize in tracking required NCAA regulated information for recruiting, student-athlete promotional activities, declaration of coaching staff, grant-in-aid agreements, camps, and clinics, and playing and practice seasons. 3. Financial Aid/Bursar:
Compiles scholarship information for the financial aid office to post. Monitors financial aid for compliance with NCAA rules, budget oversight, and EADA compliance. Supervises the application process for summer aid and the issuance of the National Letter of Intent. Monitor disbursement of athletic aid and any hold information. Meet with student-athletes to explain hold issues and dispense hold information to coaches to ensure timely registration. 4. Leadership Duties:
Will serve as a member of the Athletic Department’s Senior Staff Team and will have leadership duties as assigned by the Sr. Associate/SWA (e.g., monitoring of squad sizes; department-wide planning/strategy efforts; Name, Image, Likeness program; gambling education initiatives. 5. Reporting Requirements:
Compile reports for the NCAA, Federal Government, Big Sky Conference and institutions, including by not limited to: grant-in-aid report, sport sponsorship & demographics report, participations and athletic aid reports, etc. 6. Liaison Duties:
Act as liaison to various campus entities, including but not limited to financial aid, bursar, registrar, internal audit, legal affairs (on NCAA compliance matters), undergraduate colleges and residential life (housing and dining). Act as the University liaison to the NCAA and Big Sky Conference on all NCAA compliance related matters. Works with legal affairs on coordination of the Big Sky Serious Misconduct Rule. 7. Supervision of Staff:
Supervises full-time staff members. Essential Function Indicator:
Conditions of Employment:
- Rules compliance is an important responsibility of this position. Employee shall support and comply with all applicable rules and regulations of the NCAA, the Big Sky Conference, and other established bodies that govern intercollegiate athletics and the University.
- This position, during the course of university employment will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university funds or other items of value; as well as the unsupervised access with the developmentally disabled, vulnerable adults or children under the age of 16. The offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion and passing of a background check prior to beginning employment.
- All new employees must comply with EWU immunization Policy 602-02 and provide proof of immunity or vaccination to MMR and proof they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before beginning work at EWU. Waivers for the immunization requirements are available for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs.
$55,195 – $56,543
Open Until Further Notice:
Screening to Begin:
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Submit your application materials through our online applications portal provided below. If you are unable to submit through the applicant portal, please contact Human Resources Services at (509) 359-2381.
To apply, visit https://jobs.hr.ewu.edu/postings/8803
EWU does not discriminate in its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship or immigration status, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, genetic information, age, marital status, families with children, protected veteran or military status, HIV or hepatitis C, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability, as provided for and to the extent required by state and federal laws.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency