Job no: 515313
Work type: Staff
Location: San José
Categories: Unit 9 - CSUEU - Technical Support Services, Probationary, Full Time, Marketing/Communications
The Marketing Communications Program Manager creates and implements integrated marketing and communication plans and related projects for a designated Division or College. The individual in this role must be comfortable multi-tasking in a fast–paced environment. Candidates with advertising agency, marketing consultancy or corporate communications experience are encouraged to apply. Multiple opportunities are available including Research and Innovation, Student Affairs, Advancement and others.
The successful candidate will be based in University Marketing and Communications (UMC), and function as a hands-on account executive, project manager, advisor and liaison between the assigned college or department and UMC. The incumbent will independently create materials and messages, as well as work with others across UMC to develop original content for university websites, blogs, social media, video, audio, marketing automation platform and e-newsletters, while upholding SJSU’s web and accessibility standards. The Marketing Communications Specialist will also provide scheduled reports, audits and analysis related to video view completions, social media, search engine optimization, marketing campaigns, advertising and Google Analytics. The position reports to the Director of Digital Marketing and Communications in UMC, with a dotted line to the senior administrator at the client college or department.
- Create and implement marketing strategies and plans on various communication channels (e.g. websites, social media, blogs, video, audio, e-marketing) to support the university’s, college’s or department’s strategic goals and key initiatives.
- Serve as primary copywriter and editor across the College’s print and digital platforms.
- Manage all digital marketing channels (e.g. website, blogs, emails and social media) to ensure brand consistency.
- Develop e-newsletters, drip campaigns, and landing pages leveraging marketing automation software platforms (e.g. Marketo).
- Create digital advertising marketing plans and strategies to increase brand awareness, engage prospective and current students, supporters, businesses/companies, foundations/organizations, and other key College’s initiatives.
- Lead the College’s social media strategy in collaboration with SCM’s Digital Marketing and Communications Manager and share best practices/examples with SJSU Campus Communicators Network.
- Lead in the development, ideation and scheduling of the College’s social media content in coordination with SCM’s Digital Marketing and Communications Manager; and manage a rich content calendar for implementation.
- Create, implement, and measure the success of comprehensive marketing, communications, and outreach activities for the College’s programs and initiatives. Oversee plan implementation, monitor results, and adjust tactics as necessary to achieve goals.
- Create, develop, distribute and maintain the College’s print and digital assets (e.g., brochures, reports, website, social media, and website) via multiple channels.
- Maintain and improve online content across various communication channels, considering SEO and Google Analytics.
- Partner with UMC to ensure appropriate SJSU brand identity are applied to communications.
- Facilitate internal and external communications with diverse audiences including faculty, staff, current/prospective students, current/prospective donors, alumni, and companies/foundations/organizations.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of marketing functions, including marketing strategy/planning, direct marketing, event marketing, campaign marketing, collateral and video production, online and social media marketing, and traditional marketing channels and techniques
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills, and ability to produce engaging copy quickly and efficiently. Skill in developing and pitching story ideas, conducting research and interviews, and checking facts
- The ability to effectively present ideas and concepts in presentation format
- Expert knowledge of communications and marketing objectives and ability to translate them both orally and in written format for effective communications and marketing campaigns
- Ability to create, develop, and implement comprehensive long and short-term strategic communications and marketing plans
- Comprehensive and in-depth knowledge of communications, publications, media and/or marketing in order to develop and execute print and web communication strategies to promote and position the university
- Demonstrated ability to discover and compose compelling stories that not only convey but also humanize institutional messages and priorities through powerful narrative
- Demonstrated experience creating and enforcing editorial standards and guidelines
- Demonstrated ability to apply content strategy, marketing and branding best practices, as well as institutional identity standards, to the development of branded experiences, events, initiatives and campaigns
- Knowledge of using Marketo or similar marketing automation systems for internal and external communications as well as Omni Update Campus as content management system platform
- Bachelor’s degree, which includes relevant coursework in the field
- Five years of related professional or technical experience
- Three to five plus years of related professional or technical experience writing compelling content for a variety of online and print publications
- Two plus years of user-experience of Marketo or similar marketing automation systems for internal and external communications
- Three to five plus years of user-experience of OmniUpdate Campus or similar content management system for website development/editing/design
- Three to five plus years of experience as a native/primary user of various social media channels with ability to create and post social posts including images
- Three to five plus years of experience in creating, analyzing and recommending marketing and communication strategies based on metrics established and analyses, and return on investment reporting
Classification: Public Affairs/Communication Specialist III
Anticipated Hiring Range: $5,211/month - $6,200/month
CSU Hiring Range: $4,104/month - $7,425/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: June 13, 2022 through June 27, 2022. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus (including all booster doses of an approved vaccine for which an individual is eligible per current CDC recommendations) or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. As a condition of employment, any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as well as with other safety measures established on the campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to [email protected].
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at [email protected].
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf. The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at [email protected].
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: June 13, 2022 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled