If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.
Summary of Posting
In addition to general reference duties, such as working at an active reference desk, teaching, responding to faculty research requests, and preparing library publications, the Reference/ Foreign and International Law Librarian is responsible for coordinating all library training and outreach related to supporting the law school’s extensive curriculum in foreign and international law, and developing the law library’s collection in foreign and international law materials.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Participates in reference services provided by the department to the law school
- Works at a centrally located, active reference desk to provide reference assistance to law students and faculty, the University of Miami community, members of the bar, and the public
- Performs complex research for faculty and administration
- Provides legal instruction in the LComm (Legal Communication & Research) program; lectures in selected law school classes and clinics on legal research, and teaches other workshops and instructional sessions
- Coordinates library training and outreach to law school classes, clinics, and other groups focused on foreign and international law
- Prepares and maintains print and electronic educational research tools, such as guides and video tutorials
- Possibility of teaching an advanced legal research course as an Adjunct
- Some evening and weekend work is required
- Maintains a current awareness of issues and trends related to legal research, instruction, and academic services by participating in professional development activities; develops professional relationships with counterparts in other institutions, both on and off the law school campus
Provides leadership and coordination for developing the law library’s foreign and international collections
- Matches the Library’s areas of collecting in foreign and international law with curricular and scholarly needs of law faculty and students
- Takes primary responsibility (in consultation with the Head of Acquisitions and Collection Development) for evaluating and selecting comparative, foreign, and international materials in all formats, as well as updating collection development and acquisitions procedures and policies for these collections
Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Requires an MLS (or equivalent) and J.D. (or foreign equivalent) from accredited institutions; requires a minimum of 2 years’ relevant experience; fluency in Spanish is required; working knowledge of other foreign languages is desirable; excellent organizational and teaching skills; excellent interpersonal and communication skills; strong service philosophy; energetic, hardworking, and flexible; ability to develop and implement a new program from beginning to end; able to work in a fast-paced environment with people from varied backgrounds; desire to participate as an enthusiastic team player; willing to take initiative.
Applications should be submitted using the University of Miami online portal. The application should include a complete statement of qualifications, a resume/CV, and the names and contact information for at least three persons who are knowledgeable about the applicant's qualifications for this position. Questions should be emailed to Abby Deese, Assistant Library Director for Reference and Outreach, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:
Full timeEmployee Type: