About Baltimore City Community College
Founded in 1947, Baltimore City Community College (BCCC) is a comprehensive, urban institution accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. The College’s campus is located in West Baltimore; the institution also has several satellite locations throughout the city. With its broad range of degree and certificate programs, affordable tuition, and extensive outreach, BCCC offers educational opportunities to the citizens of Baltimore City and throughout the state of Maryland. BCCC serves nearly 14,000* students annually, providing credits that transfer to four-year colleges and universities as well as workforce training leading directly to job placement. The College is proud of the fact that nearly 90** nations are represented within the student body.
* Based on annual unduplicated credit and non-credit headcount for FY 2018.
**Based on fall 2018 credit enrollment.Requisition Number:
2022-111Posting Start Date:
Bachelors Additional Documentation:
Commensurate with Experience
Program Counselor - Upward Bound Description/Job Summary
Upward Bound (UB) is a federally funded TRIO program that serves first-generation, economically disadvantaged, and disabled students. Services provided to UB participants are incorporated into approved program objectives that meet secondary school completion and postsecondary school entry goals. The Program Counselor is responsible for assisting students in developing academic and social skills needed to be successful in high school, college, personally, and professionally.
- Evaluates students’ abilities and interests through aptitude assessments, interviews, and individual planning
- Identifies issues that affect academic performance, such as poor classroom attendance rates.
- Develops intervention plans for students with academic and/or social difficulties
- Counsels individuals and small groups based on student and program needs.
- Works with students to develop skills, such as organizational and time management abilities and effective study skills.
- Works with students to create a plan to achieve academic and career goals.
- Collaborates with instructors and other program staff to help students succeed.
- Maintains records and develops instructional schedules.
- Contributes to the planning and implementation of the summer program, field trips, and other extra-curricular activities
- Coordinates and provide individual instruction, course offerings, tutorial sessions, and special workshops.
**THIS POSITION IS PART-TIME**
- Bachelor’s degree in Educational Administration; Education or Curriculum Design; Psychology, Youth Administration or Leadership Studies, or a related field is required
- Master’s degree
- Ability to interpret educational research data, understand and use various educational computer hardware and software
- Two years of experience counseling low-income, first-generation college students and their families.
BCCC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Applicants needing accommodation for any part of the application and/or hiring process should request the accommodation from The Office of Human Resources office by contacting us at 410-209-6007.
For more information, view the EEO is the Law Poster and Pay Transparency Statement.
Email this job to a friend ×Subject:Your email address:Recipient's email address:Personal message:I came across this job and thought you may be interested.Human Verification:Send E-mail