Post-Baccalaureate Fellow in Environmental Science
The Environmental Studies and Sciences Program at Skidmore College is looking for an enterprising and passionate Post-Baccalaureate Fellow in Environmental Science. The selected Fellow will support PI Kris Covey, Assistant Professor, Environmental Studies and Sciences in data unification, analysis, and visualization on a funded project conducting soil inventory in vineyards.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Gather, assess, organize, profile, and clean environmental data for analysis
- Code in R, and conduct student-centered research and coursework
- Work to enhance classroom teaching by developing exercises that integrate data analysis tools in student coursework
- Provide mentorship and technical skills development opportunities to undergraduate students inside an academic setting
- Lead short workshops in environmental data analysis
- Present their work in formal public settings beyond the College
- Lead independent peer-reviewed environmental research in collaboration with Skidmore faculty.
The Post-Baccalaureate Fellowship in Environmental Science is a 1-year fellowship (anticipated 6/1/22-5/31/23)
Compensation & Benefits
The Post-Baccalaureate Fellow in Environmental Science compensation is set at $45,000/yr and includes benefits.
- 2-3+ years of experience with geostatistical approaches to environmental issues.
- Familiarity with a broad base of analytical tools and databases (including, but not limited to):
- Geospatial modeling and analysis (machine learning, geo-statistical methods, spatio-temporal modeling)
- National and global geospatial datasets, preferably with exposure to soil databases such as SoilGrids, gSSURGO, Polaris
- Experience using remotely-sensed products: Landsat, Sentinel, Planet, LiDAR, UAV etc.
- Exposure to a suite of GIS and Remote Sensing software (ArcGIS Pro, QGIS, ENVI, ERDAS, etc)
- Cartographic/visualization expertise in both print and web format
- Passionate, mission-driven and capable of running projects independently
- Excellent organizational skills with strong attention to detail, efficient time management, and the ability to prioritize work effectively
- An entrepreneurial and self-starting spirit, excited about exploring the unknown
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
In order to prevent or significantly reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission at Skidmore College and protect all members of the College community from infection, successful candidates will be required to submit proof of full vaccination as a condition of employment, unless exempted as a reasonable accommodation of a medical condition or sincerely religious belief or practice.
Skidmore College is committed to being an inclusive campus community and, as an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, national or ethnic origin, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, predisposition or carrier status, domestic violence victim status, familial status, dating violence, or stalking, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Employment at Skidmore College is contingent upon an acceptable background check result.
CREATIVE THOUGHT MATTERS.