This position is responsible for teaching non-credit Business courses for the Workforce Solutions and Continuing Education division at Hagerstown Community College. Adjunct Business Instructors teach proposed or existing courses approved by the Program Manager and Dean. The number of courses taught per semester and their duration vary based on the instructor’s area of expertise, student interest, and other scheduled courses. The instructor’s area of expertise should be clearly outlined in the application, cover letter, or resume. Course topics in Business include, but are not limited to:
- Organizational Development
- Leadership, Management, and Supervision
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Marketing/Social Media
- Project Management
Adjunct Instructor will report directly to the Business, Certification and License Program Manager ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Plan detailed, relevant, progressive lesson plans to engage students.
- Provide course descriptions and learning objectives to the Program Manager.
- Provide differentiated instruction to meet the various needs and levels of students.
- Provide instruction using appropriate and effective technology, standards of delivery, and a variety of methods on instruction.
- Actively engage students in discussion and critical thinking.
- Cultivate open-minded inquiry.
- Promote cooperation and mutual respect among students.
- Infuse multicultural and diverse perspectives into the instructional processes as appropriate, and conduct classes in a manner that demonstrates respect for individual and cultural differences.
- Complete orientation process for adjunct faculty.
- Submit and update personnel forms required for employment.
- Provide master copies or lists for instructional materials in a complete and timely manner to allow preparation and distribution.
- Provide timely notice if unable to attend class or scheduled meetings.
- Submit class evaluations and other documents as directed by program staff.
- Bachelor’s, Master’s degree, or PhD in Business or related field
- Previous experience teaching at a post-secondary level
- Experience teaching adult learners
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to use varying styles and approaches that reflect an understanding and acceptance of the role of culture in a diverse, multicultural workplace and classroom
- Basic computer skills necessary for using technology in the classroom
- Excellent presentation and/or demonstration skills
- Ability to build a rapport with students