The Pathology Department is seeking a Laboratory Technician
who will work under general supervision and will perform clinical and/or research laboratory experiments by following established procedures and protocols or with instruction. This role uses basic science knowledge to learn techniques/methods of the lab. Runs lab tests and completes measurements as assigned. Identifies and resolves common problems and uses analytical skills to implement assigned projects. Understands the role of senior lab members and accepts constructive guidance. Sets-up experiments based on defined standards. Collects and maintains project data.Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Performs clinical and/or research lab tests and experiments. Follows established procedures and protocols, utilize appropriate techniques to perform laboratory tests and/or experiments which may include handling of animal, cell culture, as well as biological technology.
- Exchanges routine information in an appropriate manner requiring good oral and written communication. Regular interaction with students, vendors, post-doctoral fellows, faculty members, and other clinical fellows.
- Responsible for routine operational activities such as ordering supplies and materials, reviewing inventory, maintaining up to date records of tests, etc.
- Conducts preventive maintenance of equipment to include maintaining and troubleshooting equipment, making routine repairs or notifying service personnel when more complex problems occur.
- Performs general lab housekeeping and maintaining safety records.
- Performs miscellaneous related duties as assigned.
Special Knowledge, Skill & Abilities:
- High School Diploma/GED
- High School Diploma/GED with some science coursework. Training Certificate from Technical Institute preferred.
- Certificate from technical institute or internship experience preferred.
- Knowledge of good lab practices.
- Good computational skills.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may remain in a stationary position (sitting) up to 80% of the time and standing/walking at 80%.
- The employee is required to use hands/fingers to touch, type and/or feel. Will operate computer keyboard, and/or laboratory instruments.
- Prolonged vision requirements including viewing computer screen, paper reports/documents charts and results. Visual acuity is required to distinguish fine gradation of color or structure and closely examine specimens.
- While most of our positions require on-site presence; where positions are approved for alternate work locations (remote work) - specific expectations will be outlined and documented; and the safety of work environment, security of work information, and productivity measures are regularly reviewed with employees and subject to on-going approval by management.
- Staff should be aware of and report other remote work implications and requirements that may impact them or the organization.
- Staff may be required to complete annual competency review, and must insure compliance with Johns Hopkins Policy, Laboratory Policy & Procedure, Health, Safety & Environment regulations, and all applicable privacy & confidentiality laws/practices.
- Annual training and testing requirements.
Classified Title: Laboratory Technician
Starting Salary Range: $15.00 - $18.50/hr (commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Casual / On Call
Schedule: M-F, 8:30am-5:00pm
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: School of Medicine Campus
Department name: SOM Pat Neuropathology
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at [email protected]
. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/
and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/
.The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled. EEO is the Law
To apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Baltimore-Laboratory-Technician-MD-21231/895997500/
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency