Job Location: Main Campus - Harrisonburg, VA
Position Type: Full Time
Job Category: Management
Athletics Director Eastern Mennonite University is a private Mennonite liberal arts university in Harrisonburg, Virginia known for academic excellence and affordability with a focus on service, social justice, and global engagement. With more than 2000 students studying at our main campus in Harrisonburg, Virginia; at our Lancaster, Pennsylvania site; and online, EMU offers rigorous academic study at the undergraduate, graduate and seminary level.EMU encourages students, faculty and staff to live their faith and values through service to others, peacemaking, cross-cultural engagement and sustainability. EMU also offers our employees the opportunity to embrace the educational experience for themselves and their dependents through tuition discounts, a university benefit.As an Equal Opportunity Employer, EMU is committed to enhancing our community and encourages applications from qualified individuals with varied backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who would deepen the diversity of the University.RESUME & COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED FOR APPLICATION TO BE CONSIDERED-UPLOAD COVER LETTER WITH RESUMEJOB DESCRIPTION Job Title
: Athletics Director Effective Date:
July 1, 2022Department:
Regular, 12 mo., FT, M-F 8am-5pmSupervisor:
VP for Enrollment and Strategic Growth IPEDS Classification:
: Exempt CUPA:
109000 Job Summary:
The Athletics Director is the chief administrator for the University’s NCAA Division III intercollegiate athletics program and establishes policies and procedures that achieve the parallel goals of development of quality, competitive athletics teams and support of the individual educational goals of student-athletes.The Athletics Director will maintain an athletics program that is committed to competitive excellence within the university’s mission and strategic priorities, its culture and environment, and the values of diversity and inclusion. The Athletics Director will manage the department budget and facilities operations. The AD will also be responsible for supervising all sports personnel, fundraising, and providing guidance to the students in the sports program. The Athletic Director will keep track of policy changes and coordinate with organizations that set parameters within the field such as the Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) and the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). Duties/Responsibilities:
- Provide visionary leadership, strategic planning, and policy development for the EMU Athletics program.
- Communicate strategic vision to and from the Athletics Department.
- Manages financial and human resources leading to internal departmental accountability as well as external collaboration, integration and advocacy.
- Develop and implement, in concert with the VP of Enrollment and Strategic Growth athletic fundraising.
- Facilitates staff development regarding mentoring, coaching, recruiting, alumni relations, fundraising, University policy, and NCAA compliance.
- Supervise the management of Sports Communication, Marketing and Promotions, Compliance, Sports Medicine, Tickets and Concessions, Financial Operations, Academic Services, and Fundraising.
- Coordinate and maintain the athletics program at Division III level of NCAA.
- Collaborates with the UG Admissions and Financial Aid Offices regarding student-athlete recruitment and retention.
- Collaborates between the College’s Advancement Division and Head Coaches to raise funds for the Athletics Department.
- Meets regularly with the Coaches and Athletics Administrative team.
- Collaborates with Facilities Management regarding use, care, and development of athletic facilities.
- Fosters relationships with on and off campus constituent groups interested in athletics programming (e.g. Student Life, Student Government, Alumni Board, etc.)
- Represent EMU in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference as well as in local and national NCAA meetings/conferences.
- Ensure the Athletics Department handbook is evaluated and updated on an annual basis.
- Select and supervise members of the athletic administration and coaching staff.
- Evaluates athletic staff and coaches on an annual basis using the university approved evaluation tool.
- Foster high standards of integrity, athletic excellence, and academic success.
- Use management and fiscal skills to administer the overall athletic budget.
- Hire and manage coaches and athletic staff that are committed to the welfare of student athletes
- Ensure coaches and athletic staff are in compliance with NCAA and Title IX rules and procedures.
- Develop and implement long term planning regarding fiscal needs for operations and capital improvements, program assessment, personnel professional development and initiatives to increase revenue sources.
- Engage in community outreach, serve as the public face of EMU Athletics, and develop positive relationships with the community at large.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- A sound knowledge of athletic administration at the collegiate level.
- Demonstrated record of successful athletic administrative experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of NCAA rules and operations, with the ability to work with admissions and coaches in the appropriate recruitment of student-athletes.
- Demonstrated ability to promote the intercollegiate athletic program throughout the University community through successful fundraising, creation of external partnerships, fiscal management, and sport supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to work and communicate effectively and professionally with all constituencies of a diverse community.
- Outstanding leadership and management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to apply student development theory to student-athlete progression.
- The ability to build relationships that balance the multiple, varying, and sometimes conflicting interests of diverse stakeholders around politically charged subject matter are essential.
- Ability to effectively express ideas clearly in both written and verbal communications.
- Proficiency in NCAA applications (e.g., RSRO, Cai, LSDBi, Eligibility Center, NLI, Transfer Portal)
- Proficiency in computer applications, specifically Microsoft Office.
- Ability to interpret and analyze information for effective decision making.
- Attention to detail to prepare reports, correspondence, administer tests, and coordinate information.
- Ability to read, analyze, and comprehend information for interpreting policies, benefit plans, employment laws, survey instructions, and computer procedures.
- Excellent problem-solving and conflict resolution skills, and the ability to deal effectively with a variety of situations and constituents.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to maintain confidential information and materials.
- Ability to effectively supervise and motivate staff.
- Ability to work weekend and evening hours in addition to regular scheduled hours.
Bachelor’s degree with an emphasis in a discipline relevant to the multiple tasks and duties expected of the Director. Prior coaching experience and a minimum of 5 years of administrative experience; or an equivalent combination of experience, education, and training. Master’s degree and experience within a NCAA athletic program preferred. Fundraising experience preferred. CRM (SalesForce and/or FrontRush) experience preferred.Physical Requirements:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and climb or balance. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus. The employee must occasionally travel to meetings and conferences off campus, which may include some overnight travel.Supervisory Responsibilities:
Directly supervises approximately 20 staff. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.