University of Puget Sound
Assistant Professor of Mathematics
Math & Computer Science
Faculty Posting Details Appointment:
Tenure-track Assistant Professor of Mathematics to begin Fall 2022. About the Mathematics program:
The Mathematics program offers courses that support a variety of pathways through the Mathematics major, ranging from more applied to more theoretical. During the past five years, an average of 18 students have graduated each year having earned a Mathematics major. Mathematics students frequently participate in research mentored by faculty members (and supported by university summer awards) and also often participate in activities such as the Putnam exam and the Mathematical Contest in Modeling. The curriculum supports other disciplines as well, with a variety of lower- and upper-division courses including a three-semester applied statistics sequence. The Mathematics program currently has nine full-time faculty members, with interests that include scientific computing, algebraic topology, applied statistics, operations research, combinatorics, computational topology, and large data set analysis.Responsibilities:
Standard teaching load is six undergraduate mathematics courses per academic year. A typical semester includes two lower-division courses and one upper-division course. Faculty members are expected to engage in research, mentor undergraduate research, serve as academic advisors, and participate in departmental and university service. Qualifications:
PhD (ABD considered) in Mathematics or Applied Mathematics or closely related field and a strong commitment to teaching undergraduate students in a liberal arts environment. Application Deadline:
Review of applications begins November 24, 2021.Required Documents:
Please submit curriculum vitae (CV) when prompted to submit resume. Additional documents can be attached within the application before submission. Applications submitted without the required attachments will not be considered.
- Curriculum vitae
- Letter of Interest
- Diversity Statement (see prompt below)
- Statement about your teaching principles and practices in the context of teaching undergraduate students
- Statement about your research interests and goals
- Three (3) Letters of Reference. You will be asked to specify the email addresses of reference providers at the time of application and the system will email these providers on the next business day.
In the online application system, please submit curriculum vitae when prompted to submit resume. Additional documents can be attached within the application.Applicant's Diversity Statement:
As a department and university, we are strongly committed to creating an inclusive and effective teaching, learning, and working environment for all. In the applicant's diversity statement, applicants should comment on their ability to contribute meaningfully to our on-going commitment to be informed and competent with regard to issues of diversity, equity, and individual differences. We encourage applicants to reference the University of Puget Sound's current Diversity Strategic Plan (DSP) at https://pugetsound.edu/about-puget-sound-0/mission-core-values/institutional-equity-diversity
prior to writing this statement. While not an exhaustive list, the following are some ways applicant's can express their qualification:
Compensation and Benefits
- Your lived experiences and/or identities that speak to the department and university's commitment to inclusion and diversity;
- Demonstration of your awareness of inequities for underrepresented student populations in education, research experience, and other opportunities;
- Brief insights on why diversity is important at institutions like the University of Puget Sound;
- Infusion of diversity and diversity-related issues into your research, pedagogy, and/or service;
- Previous and/or current activities involving mentoring underrepresented student populations;
- Creative ideas or strategies you could enact as a member of the University of Puget Sound campus community to support the university's DSP;
- Brief insights on how cultural competency increases one's effectiveness as an educator and department/university colleague.
Rank: Assistant Professor
Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
Puget Sound offers a generous benefits package. For more information, visit: https://pugetsound.edu/human-resources/benefitsAbout Puget Sound:
The mission of the University of Puget Sound is to develop in its students the capacities for critical analysis, aesthetic appreciation, sound judgment, and apt expression that will sustain a lifetime of intellectual curiosity, active inquiry, and reasoned independence. Puget Sound is a 2,600-student, residential, national undergraduate liberal arts college in Tacoma, Washington, drawing students from virtually every state and several countries. 65% of students live on the 97 acre campus and the remainder typically live within a mile in the surrounding neighborhood. A low student-faculty ratio provides students with personal attention from faculty members who have a strong commitment to teaching. The university offers 1,200 courses in more than 50 areas of study, numerous experiential learning opportunities, 23 D-III varsity sports, and extensive co-curricular and leadership opportunities. Puget Sound graduates include Rhodes and Fulbright scholars, notables in the arts and culture, entrepreneurs and elected officials, and leaders in business and finance locally and throughout the world. In 2012, Puget Sound was named as one of 40 schools in Colleges that Change Lives
Puget Sound has a well-established Shared Faculty Appointments Policy. More information on faculty resources can be found here: https://pugetsound.edu/resources-faculty University Diversity Statement
- We acknowledge the richness of commonalities and differences we share as a university community; the intrinsic worth of all who work and study here; that education is enhanced by investigation of and reflection upon multiple perspectives.
- We aspire to create respect for and appreciation of all persons as a key characteristic of our campus community; to increase the diversity of all parts of our University community through commitment to diversity in our recruitment and retention efforts; to foster a spirit of openness to active engagement among all members of our campus community.
- We act to achieve an environment that welcomes and supports diversity; to ensure full educational opportunity for all who teach and learn here; to prepare effectively citizen-leaders for a pluralistic world.
All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of all required background checks. All new hires will be required to submit proof of current COVID-19 vaccination (including booster) or receive an approved medical or religious exemption from the university.
The University of Puget Sound is an equal opportunity employer and is seeking talented faculty in these disciplinary areas: Art & Art History- Digital Media; Computer Science/Data Science; Hispanic Studies/Spanish; Music- Piano; and Public Health. For additional information about these faculty searches, please search Puget Sound's Open Faculty Positions
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: www.pugetsound.edu/employment
About Puget Sound
Puget Sound is a selective national liberal arts college in Tacoma, Washington, drawing 2,600 students from 48 states and 20 countries. Puget Sound graduates include Rhodes and Fulbright scholars, notables in the arts and culture, entrepreneurs and elected officials, and leaders in business and finance locally and throughout the world. A low student-faculty ratio provides Puget Sound students with personal attention from faculty who have a strong commitment to teaching and offer 1,200 courses each year in more than 40 traditional and interdisciplinary fields, including graduate programs in occupational and physical therapy and in education. Puget Sound is the only nationally ranked independent undergraduate liberal arts college in Western Washington, and one of just five independent colleges in the Pacific Northwest granted a charter by Phi Beta Kappa, the nation’s most prestigious academic honorary society. Visit "About Puget Sound" (http://www.pugetsound.edu/about
) to learn more about the college.
As a strategic goal and through our core values, University of Puget Sound is committed to an environment that welcomes and supports diversity. We seek diversity of identity, thought, perspective, and background in our students, faculty, and staff. EOE/AA
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency