Marshall University is entering a new era with exciting new leadership, and the institution seeks an entrepreneurial, collaborative, and innovative leader to serve as its next Chief Financial Officer. Marshall seeks someone who can be a transformational partner to the university's recently appointed 38th President, Brad D. Smith.
Marshall University is a public comprehensive research university with a rich history as one of the oldest institutions of higher learning in West Virginia. Marshall advances the public good through innovative, accredited educational programs. The university is located in Huntington, West Virginia, with additional campuses in South Charleston, Point Pleasant, Teays Valley, and Beckley. Marshall is classified as a Carnegie Doctoral University: High Research Activity - R2 institution. The university enrolls 11,962 students: 8,776 undergraduate, 2,515 graduate, and 671 first professional. The university offers more than 150 undergraduate, graduate, and professional degree programs organized into seven academic colleges and two schools
. As the Thundering Herd, the university participates in the NCAA Division I, Sun Belt Conference. Marshall University is situated in a region of great natural beauty; Huntington is nestled in the heart of the Appalachian Mountain region, with the Ohio River creating the perimeter of the city.
The Chief Financial Officer is in the senior financial role for Marshall and is responsible for the overall financial strength and stability of the university, and has a strategic role in the organization's management. Candidates must possess a degree from an accredited higher education institution in a related field, plus a substantive record of successful, progressive leadership experience at a level commensurate with the position. The candidate must demonstrate an understanding of the changing landscape in higher education, and be able to work with a sense of urgency in a fast-paced environment. As a member of the university's senior leadership, this person will report directly to the President and will serve on his cabinet. The CFO provides direct leadership to multiple offices and services in Finance
, including budget, accounts payable/payroll, financial information technology, bursar/student financial systems and accounting.
The ideal candidate will have the following characteristics and attributes:
• The readiness to be accountable for the administration of all financial operations of the university, including the development of a financial and operational strategy, metrics tied to that strategy, and the ongoing development and monitoring of control systems designed to preserve company assets, report accurate financial results, monitor adherence to the budget and develop long-term financial and operational strategies.
• Demonstrated experience managing finance for a complex organization with multiple funding sources and diverse program areas.
• Knowledge of methods of allocating scarce resources and the attendant revenue enhancing models.
• Strong leadership skills and the ability to communicate effectively with various constituencies.
• A readiness to establish and maintain integral relationships with senior executives and members of the Board of Governors to identify needs and seek solutions to challenges. Serve as a financial liaison and engage with the board on issues, opportunities, trends and changes in finances and operating models.
• Demonstrated success supporting entrepreneurial activity.
• The ability to manage the university's collective debt issuance, structure and credit ratings, as well as completion and submission of annual financial reports.
• Experience coordinating an annual budget and budget planning process, and recommending, evaluating and advising on the impact of long-range planning, introduction of new programs/products, pricing strategies, revenue sources and regulatory action.
• A track record of developing and upholding effective internal financial controls to support compliance with applicable federal, state, system and university laws, regulations and policies.
• A strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
• A readiness to create trusted relationships with team members and support them in achieving their goals.
Additional information is available in the search profile available at https://academicsearch.org/open-searches-public/entry/12254/?search=12254
How to Apply: Marshall University is being assisted by Academic Search. Applications should consist of a substantive cover letter, a resume, and a list of five professional references with full contact information. No references will be contacted without the explicit permission of the candidate. Applications, nominations, and expressions of interest can be submitted electronically, and in confidence, to:[email protected]
The position is open until filled but only applications received by August 12, 2022, can be assured full consideration. Confidential discussions about this opportunity may be arranged by contacting consultants Ann Die Hasselmo
and Chris Butler
Marshall University and the Marshall University Research Corporation are committed to providing equal opportunities to all prospective and current candidates. We do not condone discrimination, in particular based on race, color, sex, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability, or national origin. Our commitment also applies to all educational programs and activities covered under Title IX which prohibits sex discrimination in higher education. We neither affiliate with nor grant recognition to any individual, group or organization having policies that discriminate.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency