: Academic & Student SupportLocations:
: Roxbury Crossing, MAPosted:
: Jun 2, 2022Closes:
: Aug 2, 2022 - 11:59 PM EDTType:
: Full TimePosition ID:
About Roxbury Community College:
Roxbury Community College is an urban, public, 2-year College serving a diverse community, including peoples of color, recent immigrants and non-traditional populations. The College's mission is to facilitate student success in achieving educational goals through the delivery of high-quality transfer and career programs. RCC strives to honor traditional commitments, and to be responsive to new challenges and insights through workforce training, ESOL, and community education. The student population at the college is diverse in ethnicity, gender, language, age and background. Roxbury Community College is an AA/EO employer and strongly encourages applications from candidates who would enhance the diversity of its staff. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
Reporting to the Dean of Students, the Director of Career Development will develop and support student learning through a comprehensive career development program encompassing the following areas: career assessment, career counseling, job search assistance (resume writing, cover letter writing, interviewing skills, identifying job leads, using the internet and social media, etc.), internships, employee relations, and other areas related to career services. These services are provided to current students and alumni. This person will also collaborate with Aadmissions, Success Coaches, the Director of Learning Communities, and Alumni Relations to produce and promote career development opportunities at RCC. The Director of Career Development is a pivotal and highly visible individual, working closely and collaboratively with faculty, staff, and alumni to expand possibilities for career success, leadership, and employment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads the daily operations of the Office of Career Services.
- Implement a comprehensive career development program for students and alumni with the goal of helping students secure professional jobs upon graduation.
- Establish strategic goals for the Career Services Office, including long-range planning and assessment.
- Advise students on an individual and group basis regarding career planning and employment issues.
- Initiate and maintain recruiting relationships with employers for job and internships opportunities, in collaboration with Deans, Program Chairs, and department faculty.
- Works with academic departments to meet the career and internship needs of students in targeted majors.
- Manage and provide professional development for Career Services staff including but not limited to Career Counselors and Graduate Assistants.
- Collaborate with faculty and Director of Learning Communities to infuse curriculum with job training experiences.
- Identify opportunities to partner with the Student Success Center to develop programming and workshops for RCC Scholars Cohorts.
- Teach students and alumni to develop a comprehensive job search and related professional job documents (e.g. resumes, cover letters, social media).
- Writes and or presents grant proposals in collaboration with the Development Office to obtain funds to support ongoing career programs and for the development of new projects.
- Administer and interpret career-related assessments.
- Develop and update office publications, including web page updates and other online resources.
- Update and maintain the career services job portal, Handshake and other career services tools.
- Develop relationships with organizations and businesses to promote job and internship opportunities.
- Respond to outreach requests from the campus community.
- Other duties as assigned
Directly supervise full-time, regular part-time and other part-time employees assigned to the position. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with College policies, Collective Bargaining Agreements and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance, and taking corrective action with employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- A minimum of a Master's degree required; preferably in Education, psychology/Counseling or Student Affairs required.
- At least 5 years' experience as a career counselor or related role in an institution of higher education.
- Experience in program planning, teaching, and or assessment in higher education.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and an ability to work with a highly diverse population.
- Three years experience in a management and leadership position that includes supervising staff, budget oversight, and strategic planning preferred.
- Knowledge of trends and best practices related to recruiting and staffing.
- Management experience in a union environment.
- Experience using career development and higher education software tools, Handshake, Burning Glass
- Bilingual English/Spanish
Experience working with a Student Information Systems
As an employee of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts you are offered a great career opportunity influencing a wide-spectrum of services to the diverse populations we serve. The State's total compensation package features an outstanding set of employee benefits which you should consider towards your overall compensation. Including but not limited to:
Reasonable Health, Dental and Vision Plans
Low cost basic and optional life insurance
Retirement Savings: State Employees' Pension and a Deferred Compensation 457(b) plan
12 paid holidays per year and competitive Sick, Vacation and Personal Time
All offers of employment at Roxbury Community College are contingent upon clear results of a thorough background check review. Background checks will be conducted on all final candidates and/or all persons who have an employment relationship with RCC, as deemed necessary.
COVID VACCINATION REQUIREMENT:
Candidates for employment should be aware that all Community College students, faculty and staff are required to be fully vaccinated by January, 2022. Accordingly, initial employment is dependent upon receipt and verification of full vaccination status records; details of how to fulfill vaccine record verification requirements will be provided during the hire and onboarding process.
Roxbury Community College is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, age, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, or sexual orientation in its programs and activities as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and college policies. The College prohibits sexual harassment, including sexual violence. Inquiries or complaints concerning discrimination, harassment, retaliation, or sexual violence shall be referred to the College's Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission, or the United States Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights.
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act requires all institutes of higher education to disclose campus policy statements and crime statistics. Our annual report is available at www.rcc.mass.edu/clery.
Cover Letter and resume