Transformative Social Change Department Faculty Member
The Saybrook University College of Social Science seeks to hire a Faculty Member to join the Transformative Social Change (TSC) Department. This is a full-time, remote employment position, at 1.0 Full-Time Equivalent (FTE); benefits package included.
Saybrook’s MA and PhD Transformative Social Change programs focus on preparing graduates to possess the capacities to become successful policy advocates and leaders in a wide range of nonprofit, governmental and educational settings--focusing on social justice, human rights, community building, peace, and the environment.
Under the direction of the Transformative Social Change Department Chair, the Faculty Member will teach, advise students, and participate in Departmental and University governance.
The Department is specifically seeking a candidate with a subject matter focus on multiculturalism, intersectionality, and social justice. Examples may include racial equity, policy advocacy, community organizing, LGBTQ rights and politics, indigenous or decolonial politics and research.
Saybrook faculty position responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Responsive and timely communication with Department Chair
- New Student Orientation and Residential/Educational Conferences
- Support orientation of new students
- Present courses, workshops and/or course introductions
- Attend meetings (Faculty, Program, College, University) and Faculty trainings which could include Canvas, IRB, student record system, etc.
- Mentoring Students
- Actively support the socialization of students into the program and profession
- Monitor student recruitment, retention and matriculation
- Instruction, Course Development and Syllabus Review/Updating
- Deliver high quality innovative online courses that foster critical thinking
- Ensure rigorous academic standards and quality aligned with program goals
- Coordinate course offerings and catalog documentation
- Design dynamic courses utilizing the latest developments and trends in classroom instruction and digital technology
- Actively participate in degree and departmental meetings
- Represent program on university-wide committees as warranted
- Participate in the accreditation and, when appropriate, budget process
- Contribute to strategic planning and programmatic growth
- Maintain effective professional and community involvement and/or affiliations as ambassador for the University
- Doctorate or other terminal degree in a related field from a regionally-accredited institution
- Demonstrated scholarship and/or accomplishments in the field
- Commitment to multicultural and humanistic principles
- Experience with ethnically diverse and/or other special populations
- Travel to Residential Conferences in January and August of each year; other travel may be required
- Strong commitment to the goals and vision of Saybrook University
- Committed to excellence in teaching, practice, and research (experiences with on-line instruction is desirable)
- Able to offer on-line instruction regarding topics and skills within his/her areas of expertise.
- Creates a sense of unity and common purpose and manages change effectively
- Ability to build teams and effective working relationships
- Promotes interdisciplinary work within and beyond the Department
- Works collaboratively and thinks strategically
- Critical thinker
- Affectively honest and open, with a high level of personal integrity
- Communicates effectively
- Consults with colleagues at all levels
- Well organized and able to meet complex workload demands
- Strong commitment to equity, diversity, and multiculturalism in education and society.
All faculty members at Saybrook University are expected to be available and responsive to students. Faculty engagement expectations include:
- Faculty will make contact with students enrolled in their course within the first week of the new semester and before the residential or educational conference.
- Faculty will respond to emails or phone calls and acknowledge received assignments within two business days.
- For courses with weekly discussions, faculty will be in contact with students at least three times per week for online courses to provide substantive contributions and respond to student posts. This will include engagement across the duration of the weekly discussions.
- For individually mentored courses, faculty will schedule with each student regular online and off-line communication.
- For other course designs, faculty will demonstrate how they are engaging students in a consistent and meaningful way across the semester or term.
- Faculty will return student papers with feedback for course assignments submitted through Canvas within the following guidelines:
- 1 week for work less than 5 pages in length
- 2 weeks for work up to 25 pages in length
- 3 weeks for work 26-50 pages in length (and for final thesis/project)
- 4 weeks for work over 50 pages in length (applies to dissertation only).
Saybrook University offers a generous compensation and benefits package. Some of our key benefits include paid time-off, medical and dental coverage, company-paid life and disability insurance, retirement plan, and multiple flexible spending accounts (FSA).
Saybrook University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Saybrook University:
Saybrook University was founded 50 years ago by some of the greatest minds of the 20th century and continues to inspire a new generation of innovators. A non-profit regionally accredited university known for its commitment to humanistic studies and rigorous research, Saybrook University’s academic model puts the student at the center of everything we do to provide a unique, transformational, learning experience. Saybrook offers advanced degrees in organizational systems, psychology, mind-body medicine, and counseling, all in flexible learning formats to help students continue to be active contributors to the fields they work in while they advance their education. Saybrook University is proud to be a community of creative, compassionate innovators dedicated to pursing new ways of thinking and doing for our professions, organizations, and communities.
For more information, visit www.saybrook.edu.
Saybrook University offers a generous compensation and benefits package, as well as the opportunity to work for a leader in the field of education. Some of our key benefits include: generous paid time-off, medical and dental coverage, company-paid life and disability insurance, retirement plan with employer contribution, multiple flexible spending accounts (FSA), tuition reimbursement, professional development, and regular employee appreciation events.
Saybrook University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.