At Columbia Business School, we believe that diversity strengthens any community or business model and brings it greater success. That's why we're committed to promoting diversity in all its forms by making sure that those from different racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, and professional backgrounds are represented, welcomed, and engaged in our community.
Columbia Business School is seeking an experienced, strategic and relationship-oriented leader for its Office of Admissions. Reporting to the Senior Vice Dean for Curriculum & Programs, the Associate Dean of Admissions at Columbia Business School is responsible for developing (with the School’s senior leadership team) the vision for admissions across all degree programs (MBA, EMBA, and MS/PhD) as well as for developing and managing the area’s functions, including marketing, candidate assessment/evaluation, systems/analytics, and the strategic management of the team and budget. The Associate Dean assumes a major role in decision-making and policy formulation to build balanced classes that represent the School’s priorities in different areas The Associate Dean of Admissions will proactively nurture productive relationships across the faculty, administration, student, and alumni population. The Associate Dean of Admissions will also lead collaborative efforts to showcase Columbia Business School’s value proposition to prospective student audiences.
- Vision - Work with the Senior Vice Dean for Curriculum and Programs and other senior staff to lay out a vision for the present and future incoming classes of degree program students, with an emphasis on matriculating a diverse, balanced, informed, and principled population of business leaders that represents the School’s priorities. In partnership with the Dean's Office, sets strategic goals for enrollment and composition in each academic program, including dual degrees and other partnership programs.
- Community Involvement - Cultivates School/University-wide relationships with faculty, staff, students and alumni to enhance collaborative admissions outreach and effectiveness. Engages with faculty and department administrators to learn about and communicate broadly innovations in each respective academic area, Center, and/or Program. Actively participates in School/University wide committees including but not limited to SLATE, application minimum standards, Fraud Detection, etc.
- Marketing & Recruiting - Work with the Marketing and Communications department to develop effective strategies for marketing Columbia Business School degree programs to prospective domestic and international students, including information decks and promotional materials. Develops strategy for achieving application targets for all degree programs. Provides leadership on planning and execution of events for the recruitment of potential and admitted applicants.
- Assessment & Evaluation of MBA and EMBA Candidates - Maintain Columbia Business School’s competitive advantage by creating a strategy for obtaining and evaluating critical data on individual candidates. Develop strategy for achieving enrollment targets for all degree programs. Maintain the highest standards and procedures for evaluation and recruitment. Provide leadership and make policy decisions in the development, review, and amendment of all degree program application materials and requirements. Lead development and implementation of strategy for processing and evaluating MBA and EMBA applications for admissions by including the training and monitoring of admissions staff and alumni interviewers. Work closely with the Office of Financial Aid to design and execute strategy for financial aid awards to admitted applicants.
- Work in collaboration with the Vice Dean of Research and the faculty directors of PhD and Masters of Science degree programs, develop degree application materials and decision-making processes. Oversee monitoring of admissions activities for these programs, executed by faculty, to insure adherence to school and university standards.
- Work in collaboration with the Vice Dean for DEI to ensure that all efforts in and from the office are carried out with an eye to ensuring that the School is diverse and inclusive.
- Systems & Analytics - Provide guidelines to systems administrators with the goal of ensuring the integrity, accuracy, and quality of Admissions data for analytics and reporting. Provide direction to Admissions staff who perform data analytics and produce reports that best inform admissions and merit-based Financial Aid decisions to help meet the School’s goals.
- Operational Management (Budgeting & HR) - Oversee all operational management functions for the Admissions department. Inspires team and individual performers to achieve high levels of performance. Encourages professional growth and development for all Admissions staff. As such, partners closely with Human Resources on personnel matters, especially to attract and retain strong performers. Work closely with the Financial Planning office to ensure the department runs on budget and all reporting is accurate, monitored, and timely. Implement cost control measures where needed and recommend any plans for budget shifts where appropriate.
Bachelor’s degree required. Minimum 7-9 years related experience required, including substantial leadership/management experience. Advanced degree preferred.
Must have strong strategic ability and creativity. Must have a collaborative leadership style, including supervisory experience. Should have an in-depth knowledge about, an understanding of all School course and degree/non-degree programs, other top business school’s academic programs, admissions policies and procedures, in addition to a detailed knowledge of the professional requirements of corporations and industry.
MBA experience a plus; selective admissions experience a plus. _______________________________________________________________________
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.