Dean of Career & Technical Education
POSITION TITLE: DEAN, CAREER and TECHNICAL EDUCATION
DEPARTMENT: Career Technical Education
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Academic Affairs
PLACEMENT: Administrative, grade S16
MINIMUM PAY RATE: $105,788 annually
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The student population at the college is diverse in ethnicity, gender, language, age and background. Joliet Junior College is an AA/EO employer and strongly encourages applications from candidates who would enhance the diversity of its staff.
The Dean maintains and upholds the College’s values of Respect and Inclusion, Integrity, Collaboration, Humor and Well-Being, Innovation, Quality and Sustainability. The Dean advances the academic vision and leadership required to achieve high standards of excellence in instruction and services with measurable outcomes for faculty, staff and students as they relate to academic planning, programming, and assessment.
The Dean will incorporate a strategic and collaborative approach in the development of programs, faculty, and resource management, while working within budget parameters. The Dean builds relationships with internal and external stakeholders through the shared College vision, mission, and values and meets the needs of employers and students. This position requires flexibility which may include occasional evenings and weekends.
The Dean of Career and Technical Education is an academic administrative position for programs that lead to applied associate degrees and career and technical certificates. This position reports to the Vice President of Academic Affairs. The CTE dean provides supervisorial support and technical assistance to departments and programs to improve and develop career and technical programs through strategic direction, planning and the use of partnerships, labor market and program completion data analysis, advisory boards, grants and other funding opportunities.
Under the direction of the Vice President of Academic Affairs, the dean will implement a comprehensive plan addressing the career and technical education and workforce development needs of students, the College, and the local business and industry. This position supervises and coordinates curriculum development and evaluation, academic planning and outcome assessment, program review, concurrent enrollment partnerships, staffing, execution and evaluation of the academic course schedule and support in developing program budgets.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Recommend, design, develop, and implement policies, procedures, and initiatives related to the advancement and improvement of career and technical programs and courses to promote student success, while following relevant, local, state, and federal guidelines. Oversee the development, review and recommendations/changes in courses and programs assigned within the division.
2. Provide leadership for the academic programs’ strategic planning activities to align with JJC’s Strategic Goals and Strategic Enrollment Management (SEM) Plan, Educational Plan, Annual Program Updates (APU), and designated College continuous quality improvement processes for program improvement.
3. Provide leadership and managerial oversight (e.g. recruit, select, develop, schedule, respond to grievances and recommend disciplinary actions) of career and technical faculty and provide direct supervision to classified, professional exempt, and/or student work/work study students. Adhere to the full-time and adjunct faculty contracts, professional support bargaining agreement/rules, and all federal (e.g. ACA), state (e.g. SURS) and district rules and regulations ensuring efficient operations and student success. Address questions and disputes regarding contracts and faculty workloads.
4. Assume responsibility for the process of accreditation and preparation of reports for visits, program review, and licensing agencies.
5. Manage CTE grant funds (Carl Perkins) and ensure compliance with Federal and State regulations.
6. Maintain contractual relationships and obligations with local organizations and businesses.
7. Lead diversity activities and initiatives as they pertain to recruitment and retention of faculty and staff within the Academic Affairs division.
8. Participate in relevant community activities and initiatives; identify potential partnerships and leverage division- and campus-specific, district-wide, and external resources.
9. Responsible for ensuring assigned faculty/staff adhere to acceptable behavior and performance standards. Demonstrate that assigned faculty/staff have been informed how behavior and performance will be assessed, receive timely and accurate feedback regarding performance, and any other observed performance and behavioral problems are corrected promptly.
10. Oversee the development, coordination and publication of the course schedules including adding and cancelling of classes. Provide oversight of faculty teaching load. Monitor deadlines to ensure a holistic schedule of classes to promote student completion.
11. Facilitate the promotion, marketing and communications (e.g. brochures, web page and other materials) needed for the departments of the division.
12. Lead catalog revisions. Ensure alignment between Board Policy and Procedures, catalog content, and accompanying documents and forms. Communicate revisions through the committee and departmental structures.
13. Maintain repository of adjunct instructors. Ensure consistent process of adjunct recruitment and credentialing.
14. Promotes a collegial atmosphere within career and technical departments and throughout the college.
15. Collaborate with Student Development leaders on a comprehensive assessment policy.
16. Support college and career readiness programs as well other transitional programs.
17. Develop, implement, and monitor annual operating budget of the division and approve expenditures of assigned budgets.
18. Oversee the selection of full time and adjunct faculty, post-tenure review evaluations of full-time faculty, and promoting employee success.
19. Oversee the collection and dissemination of data needed for accreditation, grants, reports, proposals, and budgets.
20. Support the agriculture/horticulture departments in administering the operations of the Weitendorf Education Center.
21. Serve as the academic division liaison to communicate faculty and student concerns to the Vice President.
22. Collaborate with the Grants Office in seeking external funds for program improvement.
23. Supervise professional development activities to maintain the skills of faculty and staff necessary to the positions.
24. Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with other members of the college and community, displaying cultural competence as well as emotional intelligence.
25. Demonstrated commitment to the college’s core values of respect and inclusion, sustainability, integrity, collaboration, humor and well-being, innovation and quality.
26. Perform related duties as assigned.
1. Master’s Degree in relevant subject area from a regionally accredited institution.
2. Minimum of three (3) years of administrative and supervisory experience.
3. Equivalent of two years of recent teaching experience in post-secondary setting.
4. Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and the various learning barriers that exist for these students
1. Doctoral Degree from a regionally accredited institution.
2. Educational administrative and supervisory experience at department head level at a community college.
3. Teaching experience at a community college.
4. Experience with learning technologies and online and hybrid/blended courses.
5. English and Spanish verbal and written communication proficiency.
6. Demonstrated multicultural competence.
1. Normal office physical demands.
2. Ability to travel between campus locations and to and from community events.
3. Ability to travel in state and nationally.
Full Time/Part Time:
Union (If Applicable):